United States
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 44m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Wait in line for a bus to drive you to swim start only to find out you could have walked to swim start in less time than it took to wait in line for bus.
Swim
  • 40m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

40 min for 1500m? No way. Thas was longer. I zigzagged, but not THAT much. Would really like verification on how long the swim was. Next year they should mow the damn weeds too. At least at the start.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 22m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

I'll take 18.1 avg on that course with that wind. Was really ridiculous at some points. I think there was about 1.5 miles of tailwind and the rest was head or cross. Was so hot too, like riding into a hair dryer. Kept things easy and tried to hold back and conserve energy. Little ring almost the whole way. Did what I could to try to save energy for the run. Drank two full bottles on ride and shouldve had 2 more given conditions. People talk about salt capsules and enduralytes. I have to try these things.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more or take some capsules or something
Transition 2
  • 00m

drank more before starting out.
Run
  • 1h 35m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Was seriously ugly. Ran about 1/8 mile and legs seized up with cramps. Ended up walking about the first 2 miles trying to rehidrate. Should have took more time, stretched and had more to drink in transition. Water tables were a joke. Couldnt they found a shady stretch? Nothing like trying to rehydrate slamming down water you could have made coffee out of it was so warm. Volunteers did their best to keep up with demand, but organizers really should have though about putting the tables in the shade--for everyone's sake, even volunteers. Out of 6.2 miles I ended up running maybe 2.5 of them and walking the rest.

more water before starting, capsules, something. Drank more on bike? Stayed home was probably what I should have done.
Post race
Warm down:

Got the hell out of there and into an air conditioned car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I can handle heat, I can handle hills, such that they were, and I can handle wind. All three at once with it being the hottest day of the year thusfar to boot was just too much. Was happy to just stick it out.

Event comments:

Running Away does such great running races in the city. That swim had to have been long. Why didnt they set up a water station on the bike? Water tables in shade on the run, and maybe one more? Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. Am grateful just to be out there doing this stuff and very pleased just to finish.

Last updated: 2009-03-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:00 | 24.85 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:35:00 | 06.21 miles | 15m 18s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival

2009-08-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2338705

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Subject: RE: Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival
Totally agree with you on the swim distance thing. I looked at my time getting out of the water and probably had the same reaction everyone did....something like "WHA!?" Also, you're exactly right about the "hairdryer" Ha! That about sums it up. I guess we should all be happy we got through that sucker.
2009-08-10 12:50 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Nice job finishing.  That was tough.  I totally agree on the swim and water stops.  It had to be bad for those volunteers as well. 

I emailed the RD about the swim. She replied that it was accurate and everybody had slow times because of the wind.  Her last line was to suggest I learn how to breath on both sides during the swim.  I'm not real pleased with her. 
2009-08-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2338953

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove, IL
Ouch really!? She sounds lovely. And very helpful too. pffff
2009-08-10 2:51 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Mark...your hairdryer comment absolutely hits the nail on the head...I laughed so loud when I read that! Good work out there on a really tough day!! I'm so glad we all finished given the conditions....nothing like a hot cup of tea to drink while we are all absolutely in need of COLD water!

2009-08-11 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Good job. Sounds like a crazy (and hot) day.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bangs Lake MultiSport Festival Rss Feed