General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cazenovia, New York
United States
CNY Triathlon Club
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 40s
Overall Rank = 46/92
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, got a coffee and had a Clif bar on the way. Long drive, a bit over 2 hours.

First triathlon in I don't know how long where I didn't drive with anyone or make plans to meet up with anyone there. Races have become a social event as much as anything else for me so this was odd. Then again, I turn trips to the supermarket into social events...

This is a small race and I've never been picky about getting a great transition spot so I ended up with my own rack. Sweet! And I actually remembered to check where the swim/bike/run in/outs were.
Event warmup:

100 yards or so of swimming.
Swim
  • 27m 93s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even though I started at the side, this was really crowded until the first turn. Tough to find a spot. The chop was pretty good too. It took me quite a while to find my pace/stroke.

Don't know why but I couldn't stick with anyone drafting until the second loop. About halfway I found some feet and stuck with him the rest of the way.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I can always use more open water experience.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This was my best event of the day.

AG: 2/7
OA: 32/92

nothing. this went well.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 56s
  • 25.1 miles
  • 17.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I was slow, but my bike fitness sucks. I think I was smart about this. I could have gone faster and was tempted to each time I got passed but I'm glad I saved something for the run.

There's one hairy spot where you make a 90º left turn at the bottom of a long steep descent. They had volunteers there, but on my second loop after the Sprint race joined the course I was cut off by a person on a fat tire bike who just veered sharply left into my path. It was very close. Didn't have time to move over much. I was doing about 44mph and remember looking at my speed and thinking "yeah, this is fast enough to die if I hit him." I just missed him. My HR was up for a bit after that.

And as I'm finishing the bike, I reach down to undo my shoe straps and realized that I forgot to wear my tri shoes. I was wearing road shoes! Decided to go for it. I managed to get both shoes unstrapped and my left foot out of the shoe. Ended up dismounting and running to T2 wearing one shoe. I'm sure it looked great.

Pay attention to which shoes I pack. Olys and Sprints get the tri shoes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

AG: 3/7
OA: 53/92

This went ok. Someone at the run out saw my trisuit and yelled "BT". I high fived him but didn't get a good look at who it was. Whoever you are Thank You! It was a big boost.

I was behind a girl from the sprint running out of the TA and just kind of blindly followed her. Which would have been fine except she was headed to the ladies room. Oops. A volunteer redirected me. A few folks got a laugh at that.

I may not be fast, but at least I can be entertaining.

Stay on course.
Run
  • 51m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

This was ok. Once we passed the sprint turnaround the course got very sparse. Because of the hilly bike course, we were pretty well spread out already, but with only 92 people in the race, that gives a lot of room for each person. I remember a couple of times looking a couple hundred yards ahead and only seeing 2 or 3 people. I did manage to pass a fair number and only got passed a couple of times, mostly by relayers.

About mile 4 right after passing one guy, I hear another behind me slowly catching up. I yell back "I'm going to make you work for it!" to psyche myself up. He catches up and we ran together for a while. Chatted a bit. After a mile or so I realize that the pace is just a bit too high for me and I need to back off if I want anything left for the finish. I tell him this, point out a guy about 75 yards up and say "your job is to pass the guy with the black shirt". "White hat?". "Yeah". So I slow down, and he takes off for black shirt guy.

I catch up with black shirt guy myself after a few minutes and as I'm passing he says "that guy up there says you cant' beat him." Heh. I say "He's Right!".

At the next water stop I ask for water and get lemon-lime Heed. Realized it too late, drank some and spent the rest of the race vaguely nauseous. I just can't take that stuff. The new subtle strawberry is ok, but the lemon-lime is just awful.

So, with about 1/4 mile left to go, I realize I'm reeling him back in. Catch up to him near the entrance to the park which is a short steep downhill and as I pull up to him I say something like "Let's Go!" or "It's On!", I forget. We both take off racing like hell and the crowd and announcer pick up on it. At the bottom of the hill is a 90º right turn onto grass with a short way to the finish line. I'm on the inside and have to slow way down for the turn, we're neck and neck on the grass and we're both literally screaming with the effort. About 15 yards to go and my body just says "Sorry, that's all we have at the top end right now" and he pulls ahead. Definitely a good finish. As he said after we got our breath "Well, we gave them quite a show!".

He beat me fair and square. So, if you know Robert Ackerman, buy him a beer for me.

Not much, paced this one pretty well.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with cusetri and his mom, got a bagel, wandered around.

I needed this mentally. Even though my AG standings are a bit low, I think that's because it was a small field of relatively fast people. I definitely felt like I'm back to my normal MOP racing with this. The swim and run were ok. My bike still needs lots of improvement though.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of ability to go fast.

Event comments:

A good smallish local race. It's put on by the CNY Triathlon club so it's not trying to be a huge production with a lot of frills. They do a good job, provide a challenging course, good basic amenities. I think I'll be back next year.

Timing etc. is done by Score-This so there are no worries there. You don't get a better timing/race production company than those guys.

One thing to keep in mind: with a Syracuse 70.3 rumored to be coming in September 2010, this would be an ideal tuneup race for it. Even though there was race day registration for this race, if the 70.3 gets announced, sign up early for Cazenovia because I'd bet on this filling up no later than July 1.

Last updated: 2009-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:93 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 50/92
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen full
Course: A two loop rectangle. First time I've done a multi-loop swim. Interesting.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:56 | 25.1 miles | 17.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 65/92
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two simple loops with some serious hills. It's basically a box with a high peak in the middle. This is not an easy course. There's a short, very steep climb at the start and where you loop, the rest of the time you're either on a long downhill or a long uphill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 43/92
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. A couple decent climbs but nothing out of control.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate

2009-08-10 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2339070

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate
Great job on what I consider to be a very challenging course. Glad you could make it over to our neck of the woods.

That was me who gave you a high-five coming out of T2. I looked for you a bit later on, but lost track of you after your stop at the pizza tent. Sorry we didn't have a chance to chat.

Unfortunately, I won't make it to FLT this year, so I'll just wish you good luck on what's left of your season.

Edited by Xan 2009-08-10 7:43 PM
2009-08-10 7:50 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Yes, there is a lot of entertainment contained in that RR

Nice race too!

2009-08-10 8:15 PM

User image

Master
syracuse
nice race mike!  great getting a change to chat after....my mom thought is was great you suggested she get into Du's.....although she is going to pass for now....i'll work on her...Wink

Edited by cusetri 2009-08-10 8:17 PM
2009-08-11 3:53 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Nice race Mike, great swim and run!  I know a Bob Ackerman, but would bet the farm it wasn't the same guy!

Sounds like a nice race in a great location!

2009-08-11 8:44 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Great report Mike! You and I definitely take these races to the socializing extreme! Way to fire up the competition! Would this have made you run faster?

2009-08-11 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Great race Mike!  Try harder to get me to do it with you next year!  Smile
2009-08-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2341064

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Kam29 - 2009-08-11 10:40 AM Great race Mike!  Try harder to get me to do it with you next year!  Smile

Perhaps you could get Kam to wear the bacon suit!!

2009-08-11 11:32 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Nice race, great finish.
2009-08-11 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job there buddy.  We need to gets some bike under us both. 
Yes we should get that suit for Kam to tri in. 
2009-08-13 9:02 AM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Shoot! Sorry I missed ya.

I was planning on doing the Intermediate until a few weeks ago, we would have passed each other on the course a few times, I was 2:50 last year.

Great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed