General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
Elite Endeavors
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 5s
Overall Rank = 62/255
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/37
Pre-race routine:

The usual banana, cottage cheese with blueberries and a new twist for me was to have a chocolate Ensure at home before heading down for the hour drive. Drank some Heed on the drive down. Arrived at the race site around 5:45 and had plenty of time to set up and get our packets.

Also ate a hard boiled egg around 6:45 or so and half a Cliff bar just before transition closed at 7:15

This race fit well with my IM training for Beach 2 Battleship and the "Be Iron Fit" program.
Event warmup:

Did a small jog around 6 just to see how things felt, and jumped in the water for a little swimming on a couple of occasions. Started in the last wave so I had plenty of time to sit around.
Swim
  • 27m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started in the middle of the pack towards the back. I figured B2B will be a mass start with over 500 of my closest friends so I should get used to a little contact. Things went real good and navigation was real easy, but I had to take my time to get around some folks. I had caught up to 2 of the waves that had left before us before the first turn and then caught someone with a cap from the first Oly wave shortly after the return leg home. I felt someone on my toes for a few moments, then accelerated to drop them and to see how easy it was to add a burst and get back into my steady rhythm. Overall it was a pretty easy swim. My time out of the water was 26:05 for a 1:44/100 meter pace, best ever for a tri. Had a little run to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really I only had a chance at drafting for a little bit then hit a group of folks from other waves and ended up taking off on my own from there.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Wasted a few moments getting tri top on and had a pretty good jog to the bike exit. At least my bike was on the end of the rack and easy to find. I liked having assigned racks, no knuckleheads showed up at the last minute to get there crap in my way which is a common problem with 3D events.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Flat northern Ohio farm country with nothing to really block the wind. Winds were in the area of 15-20 or better with gust out of the SW and felt stronger in a couple of spots where there didn't seem to be a tree for miles. Temps were getting warm and the humidity had been bad all morning. The ride heading out was pretty tough and I was working pretty hard to the turnaround where I had an 18.7 avg before messing up the Garmin, oops. Once I had the wind in my favor I hit the big ring and kept up a nice pace and 24.1 avg after getting the Garmin reset and started again. We only had to deal with a couple of miles of the winds on the return leg. Roads were in fairly good shape but there was quite a bit of debris along the shoulders in spots so I pretty much road to the left of the white line.

Drank a bottle of Infinit, water and a shot of Hammer Gel while on the bike.

After whining about all the wind I've dealt with throughout the year on my long cycling days, it really came in handy as the strong winds didn't really upset my mojo since it's kinda of normal for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Had a quick dismount and no complaints here. Had to reset the Garmin and get it set up to run while cruising through T2.

Not screw up the Garmin.
Run
  • 52m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

With our cool summer I knew the heat and humidity would be tough on me during the run so I just took things easy for the first 3.5 miles or so before picking up the pace just a bit. The course in this area was wide open for the most part and toasty. Roads were in good shape. I stopped at every aid station and had at least water and some Heed at every other aid station. Also got a cup of ice for the hat which felt good. Managed to keep moving and not have any issues. Thankfully the last two miles had some shade and some of the residents had hoses to spray as we passed by.

Have some more training in the heat, but there's not much I can do about that.
Post race
Warm down:

Spotted Karen at the finish drinking a beer, so I found the beer tapper and had a nice icy cold draft. We found TrishM and 3Fun and chatted before heading over to the Oly awards and post race food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity. Not to mention this was just a training day, maybe next year I can train for an Oly and break 2:30

Event comments:

This was my first race with Elite Endeavors and I was quite happy with how things were run and there overall setup. The only negative is that Bikesport is one of there sponsors and I truly detest Bikesport after dealing with Demerly on the purchase of a bike for the wife that never came in.

Last updated: 2008-12-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:26 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/37
Overall: 63/255
Performance: Good
Suit: Oomph Lava Tri Shorts
Course: Simple rectangle in a deep water man made lake. No wetsuits :-)
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:52 | 24.85 miles | 21.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/37
Overall: 61/255
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat rectangular course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:15 | 06.21 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/37
Overall: 91/255
Performance: Average
Splits, 8:26, 8:45, 8:48, 8:17, 8:08, 7:53, 7:08
Course: Flat course along the roads of Sylvania.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2009-08-11 6:00 AM
in reply to: #2339142

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Nice job honey! You had a great race!! I had so much fun racing with you.  Can't wait to go to Tawas and then on to B2B. You are going to do so good.

2009-08-12 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2339142

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Dang...that was a blistering bike pace with those winds.  I can remember getting down into the 14-16 mph range on that course on the way out...why doesn't Ohio have any trees?!  Nice work on the PR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed