Elite Endeavors
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 2s
Overall Rank = 53/304
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Drama on the drive to OH on Saturday...someone forgot her aero bottle! DOH! Ranger to the rescue...was only 20 minutes from his house when I realized it, he is a prince...met me at his place, gave me the bottle and calmed a very irritated girl down! :-) Thanks Ranger!

Got to packet pickup with 20 minutes to spare...walked transitions, drove the bike course. Then it was off the the luxury of the Red Roof Inn! How appropriate that they gave me a handicap room! That made me laugh out loud since I was feeling a bit handicapped by my forgetfulness! At least there was plenty of room for the bike! :-)
I finally got to bed by 12:15, but the neighbors were drinking beer and enjoying themselves, quite loudly. After the 3rd time I'd been woken, I stuck my scary haired head out the door and asked them to quiet down. They did and I got a solid 3 hours of sleep after that. Note to self:earplugs! Ate my usual breakfast I'd brought with me, checked out and hit the road! Got racked, bodymarked, chipped and found Karen and Steve, saw Sunshine and lots of FAST folks
Event warmup:

Swam a few yards before the first wave...hr got to 145 after a couple of strokes...oh my.
Swim
  • 10m 14s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Whoa...I've never done the run thing before...started at the front and since it was a shorter swim than I'd expected, decided to go hard. Um, probably should practice sprinting in the pool before trying that in a race. I was out of breath until past the first bouy and didn't really get my breathing right till after the second bouy. I passed a few folks from the wave before me, so that was cool, but my HR was high from the get go, and I never really got it down the rest of the race. My out of the water time was actually 9:06 a 2:17 pace(not my best swim by a long shot)...there was a LONG arse run to the timing mat, so I'd just about hit my goal for the swim, but I know I used a lot more energy than I had planned on!
What would you do differently?:

Practice sprinting if that is what I'll do on race day. I am not doing a lot of work in the pool, so I really can't be upset by not getting faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

This was a pretty good transition for me...I ran pretty quickly the whole way from the beach, and just stumbled a tiny bit with the shoes...other than that, I think it was one of my better t1's. No wetsuit may have helped! :-)

Run faster to t1, keep practicing to get it more habit like.
Bike
  • 35m 31s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

This was shorter than advertised...my computer shows 12.4, not 13 which brings my recorded pace of 22 mph (which I was totally pumped about at the race until I checked the computer on the bike) down a bit. But I am VERY happy with this bike. I wanted to break 20 mph and I did...YAY! There was a headwind on the first half of the bike where I held 18 to 20 mph and the ride back was pretty good with a tailwind some of the way...I hit 26 mph at one point! I was working HARD, but that was my plan...get that bike PR, so it was all good. I passed a lot of peeps, and lots of guys...I love passing guys!

Not a darn thing. I had a great ride!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

This was a pretty good t2 for me as well. My socks got a little stuck, but that was it.

Think about running sockless or get racing shoes you don't need to wear socks with. I really don't know if I could go with out the socks in regular shoes.
Run
  • 27m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

It was advertised water at every mile, but they had water at the start of the run, and mile 2. I really could have used some at mile 1 with the heat. They did have ice in the water which was very welcome!

My hr shot up to 208 at just past mile one when I had a weird heart palpatation thingy...I've had them before while running, and even when not doing anything, but never in a race...I just slowed it down to the high 160's and picked it up later in the run. Considering how high my hr was during the swim and how much I pushed on the bike, I think this run was o.k. I had hoped to do better, but it was HOT and I was working hard...not much else left in the tank at that point.

Do LT work! Run more intervals...get better aquainted with working hard on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged around a bit, got some water, pretzels, a banana and my recoverite. Stretched about an hour after finishing, got beer with Steve and K about 1:15 after finishing! :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going too hard in the swim to start, the lack of training in the heat.

Event comments:

Elite endeavors did a really nice job...everything was on time, organized, the people were friendly, and racers were well informed leading up to the race. and HELLO! Beer for recovery drinks!

My only beef is the accuracy of the bike course and no water at mile one on the run!!!

I will be doing this race again for sure!

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:14 | 400 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 94/304
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: rectangle with right turns
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:31 | 12.4 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 28/304
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Pretty simple rectangle on nice roads in mostly Farmland
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:32 | 03.1 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 140/304
Performance: Average
Course: Through the park and into the neighborhood and back. Lots of shade (thank goodness) and a few sprinklers to run through!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-10 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Sylvania

2009-08-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2339809

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
Subject: RE: Sylvania
Excellent race!!!  The heart palp might be due to the heat and loss of electrolytes - just make sure you're taking in plenty of fluids on the bike including something other than h2o.  Ain't no prize for leftover liquids   Great job!!
2009-08-11 11:47 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
tremendous job on the bike. That wind was tough heading out but it was fun coming back. Glad you liked the race. I grew up in sylvania(went to high school were you parked) so I have a little pride concerning this race although I dont live there anymore. 
2009-08-12 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Holy smokes, you're fast!  Nice work on the bike...super speedy even if the course was short.  You're getting quite the collection of hardware!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Rss Feed