General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-10 10:01 PM

New user

Subject: Bike Help
I am just getting into triathlon training, but I don't have a bike.  I have been using a stationary bike at my gym.  My family is giving me a lot of heck about buying a bike because they are so expensive.  I tell them that's what bikes cost, but they won't let up.  Is it possible to use a used bike to start off?  I don't want to do that, but I am sick of hearing them complain.  (I really don't know why it's a big deal, anyway.  I'm paying for it.)  Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of bike to get??  I want a road bike and have been looking in the $600-$800 price range and do not want to go any higher.  I also think I want a women's bike.  I'm not looking to go out and win the race; I just want to have fun and finish.  If anyone has any tips for buying, I would love to hear what you have to say!  Thanks Smile

2009-08-10 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2340376

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Bike Help
ignoring what the family is saying,

you will get WAY more bike for the money if you look used.

go in and talk to a shop, ask them about fitting, sizes, etc to figure out what you need. sizes will vary a bit from brand to brand just like clothes, and some styles fit diff types of people.

once you have done that, its time to start shopping. if you are looking used, places to check out be the classifieds here and on slowtwitch.com, criagslist, and ask your local shops if they have refurbished sutff (also check ebay).

any of the bigger brands will have high quality bikes, its just a matter of finding the right sizee and one you can affford.
2009-08-11 7:52 AM

User image

Master
Beijing
Hi Abby.

First question:  How old are you?    I'd say if you're still in High School, listen a little closer to what your family is saying.  That's a big purchase just for one triathlon, and you've got alot of things coming up (college?  job/apartment?  car?) that you'll need money for.

Second question: Are you just buying a bike for the triathlon?   Again, that's alot  of coin to spend if you're not sure whether you'll ever use it again.   Craigslist is lousy, LOUSY with decent used bikes that will fit the bill, and 90% of them are less than $200.   You can get a completely passable Schwinn road bike at "the Walmarts" for around $200 too.   Your local bike shop is also a GREAT resource for bike selection.

Finally, if you're working, and otherwise pulling your own weight, and you can afford the bike in question, you should tell your family to stuff it.  

FYI, I decided this year that I wanted to do a triathlon.  I didn't have a road bike.   Technically, I could afford to buy a fancy-schmancy Tri/TT bike.   I have 3 kids, so I decided maybe I should see if I liked this whole Triathlon thing before I went "all in" on a bike.   I got an 18 year old frame off ebay for $300 (Trek 2100) and a set of Vuelta Zerolite wheels for $100.   The bike had some old-school Scott bars on it.   It ain't pretty, but it's dependable and it works.   Spending the $$$ you're looking at is NICE, but not NECESSARY for a bike.

Good luck in your training and your first race!

Ryan
2009-08-11 8:15 AM

New user

I'm almost 22 and have a good job.  I'm using my money to buy the bike, so my family does need to drop it.

I do plan on using the bike for a triathlon, but I'm not racing to win.  I just want to finish and enjoy myself.  I will also use the bike for riding around.  I'd like a women's bike, but I'm sort of having trouble finding one to test ride because they are all so small.  I need a 56" frame and the biggest they usually have in the store for women is a 54".
2009-08-11 8:21 AM

I was in the same situation last year.  I had 8 weeks to train for my first tri and needed a bike.  I ended up with an entry level road bike and could not be happier.  I bought from an LBS and got a free year of service.  Looking to upgrade to a TT bike in the next two years if I stick with it.  You should be able to find an entry level bike in the $600 range.  2010s are coming out so the 2009s should be getting marked down.  Good luck!
2009-08-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2340796

User image

Expert
Missouri
Is there a specific reason that you're wanting a women's bike?  I only ask because I was having the same issue.  I was looking at women-specific bikes but after talking to the guys at the LBS (and trying out some bikes), I actually ended up buying a men's 54".  The women's bikes, even though they were the same size, just didn't fit the same way.  I've been very happy with what I bought.  Just something to think about.

2009-08-11 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2340796

User image

Master
Beijing
OK!   Stay "polite but firm" and eventually they'll drop it, especially when they see you finish your first tri with a smile on your face!

One thing you might do is look for "demo days" for various bike manufacturers.   They happen every so often at bigger events or in bigger cities, and usually in conjunction with a local bike shop.   If you can find one close to you, either contact the manufacturer directly, or contact the bike shop and let them know that you'd like to demo a women's bike in a larger size.   A bigger bike shop in your area may also be able to arrange for a demo bike at their store for you to try.   You might also look for bike rentals close to you so that you can try before you buy.

This will give you a better idea of how the bike might fit and feel.  

Good luck!
2009-08-11 8:46 AM
in reply to: #2340824

New user

I like the seats of the women's bikes much more than men's.  The seats KILL me!  I don't really want to spend a bunch of money on a bike and then have to buy a women's saddle... Maybe that's the way this stuff is, though.  I'm so new to this and don't really know anything about it!  I also like the women's colors a lot better Smile
2009-08-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2340901

User image

Master
Beijing
2009-08-11 12:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Many shops will let you swap out the saddle for little or no additional cost at the time you buy the bike.  I upgraded from the stock saddle to a racing version for next to nothing.
2009-08-11 12:33 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
abby4106 - 2009-08-10 10:01 PM

I am just getting into triathlon training, but I don't have a bike.  I have been using a stationary bike at my gym.  My family is giving me a lot of heck about buying a bike because they are so expensive.  I tell them that's what bikes cost, but they won't let up.  Is it possible to use a used bike to start off?  I don't want to do that, but I am sick of hearing them complain.  (I really don't know why it's a big deal, anyway.  I'm paying for it.)  Does anyone have any suggestions about what kind of bike to get??  I want a road bike and have been looking in the $600-$800 price range and do not want to go any higher.  I also think I want a women's bike.  I'm not looking to go out and win the race; I just want to have fun and finish.  If anyone has any tips for buying, I would love to hear what you have to say!  Thanks Smile

If you have the money and want to spend it... then buy the bike you want. Why buy used if you don't HAVE to? Just to make them happy?

Look, do this... buy a new bike... and tell them you got it used for $100. They won't know the difference and it doesn't matter either way.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Help Rss Feed