General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems airing my front tire,,,,need help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-10 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
Subject: Problems airing my front tire,,,,need help
I have a new set of Hed Jet 60/90 wheels on my bike.   Yesterday i was getting ready to ride when i went to air the tires up.  The rear aired up great without incident.   However, i can't get air into the front.

I get nothing when i attempt to put air in.   I checked the valve extender and it seems snug and that it's secure.   However, i get nothing.

Is there something else i'm missing or can check before i have to take the entire tire off and start from scratch?

2009-08-11 4:46 AM
in reply to: #2340480

User image

Subject: RE: Problems airing my front tire,,,,need help
My guess is you have a snakebite flat (or whatever it's called) from when you put the tire on. If you're not really careful you can catch the inner tube under the tire levers as you're putting the last of the tire rim inside the wheel.

Edited by DanielG 2009-08-11 4:49 AM
2009-08-11 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past
xmann1102 - 2009-08-10 11:20 PM I have a new set of Hed Jet 60/90 wheels on my bike.   Yesterday i was getting ready to ride when i went to air the tires up.  The rear aired up great without incident.   However, i can't get air into the front.

I get nothing when i attempt to put air in.   I checked the valve extender and it seems snug and that it's secure.   However, i get nothing.

Is there something else i'm missing or can check before i have to take the entire tire off and start from scratch?

NO air AT ALL is getting into the tube or beyond some point the tube does not seem to hold any more and quickly deflates? Is the extender only used for filling or does it stay on all the time (excuse my ignorance 'cuz I don't have deep section rims)? If no air at all is getting in the tube and you successfully got air in the rear, then I'd go look more carefully at the valve on the front tube. I presume its a Presta valve. If so, make certain the little valve nut is loosened all the way before the extender is attached. Failing that, and assuming the same extender is used on both front and back, then perhaps you didn't get the pump properly seated on the extender. After that I got nothin'...
2009-08-11 7:34 AM

User image

Master
, Minnesota
I've got the exact same setup and have had similar issues. If you attach your pump securely and NO air comes out when you pump, the nut on the valve must be closed. If you're using the valve extender, you'll have to remove it, open the valve and reattach the extender and proceed from there.

On the front (60) I go with a valve stem that's long enough to go through the rim - that way I don't need a valve extender.

On the rear, I go with a short valve stem and a long valve extender. To minimize the chance of leak between the extender and the valve, I apply a little plumbers tape and tighted it up real good to get the best seal possible.

2009-08-11 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
when i attach the pump, air is coming out the pump.....but it's not inflating the tire.    i was thinking it was the valve, but was curious if i could do anything before i took the entire tire off?
2009-08-11 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2340828

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
xmann1102 - 2009-08-11 7:25 AM
when i attach the pump, air is coming out the pump.....but it's not inflating the tire.    i was thinking it was the valve, but was curious if i could do anything before i took the entire tire off?

Whenever that happens to me it's either that the valve stem has vibrated itself closed or the valve extender seal is leaking. If it's a clincher, just take the tire off and figure it out. If it's a tubular, for the later case, I've been successful by bending the valve extender a little in all directions while airing it up until it seals better.

2009-08-11 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Had a similar issue with my extender.  I removed the extender and the valve had closed.  Made for a real pain.  I can now get by with 80 mm valve stems and pitched the extenders.  I would do that for the front- looks like you will have to live with extenders for the rear.
2009-08-13 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
still can't figure out the issue.   i removed the tire and looked at the tube and seemed fine.   however, when i put the tube back in and tried to reinflate the tube...i got the same result.   funny thing is that it will inflate to about 90 or 100 psi, but that's it.  
should i just try using another tube?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Problems airing my front tire,,,,need help Rss Feed