Elite Endeavors
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 39s
Overall Rank = 209/304
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/16
Pre-race routine:

This was my first race so I got there a early, it helps I only live 3 miles from the start. I got in and setup my station, got marked and got my chip.
Event warmup:

I kind of forgot to really warm up. I was in such awe of the event being a first timer I spent allot of time talking to others and just taking everything in. I did do a couple of week arm windmills before jumping in the water.
Swim
  • 10m 49s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went way better then I expected. I knew I would finish, but hearing everybody's horror stories I was a little nervous. I started on the outside at the back of the pack. I quickly found myself swimming into others and it took a little bit to get used to going around.

Being a bigger guy I never thought I would be faster then many of the other swimmers out there, but apparently I was. I did take a break at the half way point to take all of the sites and sounds of race day it like some on this site suggested. Loved it at the time and I am glad I did it.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I will definitely put a little more effort into the swim. When I was actually swimming at a pace I felt comfortable at I was passing people left and right. I was concerned I must be pushing too hard and all these other athletes must be pacing themselves. It turns out I may just be a pretty good swimmer.

I also won't stop at the second bouy to look back to shore to take it all in. While it was a great thing to do to enjoy the race, treading water for 30 seconds for no good reason isn't a great idea.

I will also NOT wear swim trunks over my tri shorts. I had to stop too many times to pull my shorts up, they kept falling down (I've lost significant weight since when I bought these). They probably didn't help my drag coefficient in the water either.

I will also practice more then 4 times before my next race.

After getting my first tri under my belt I feel much more confident going into other tris, and I am looking forward to those with longer swims so I can help offset my really bad running times.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

I have to admit I was pretty darn winded from the run through the beach to get to T1. I wasn't prepared for that and I noticed my heart rate was up to 195 so I decided to walk for a minute to get to my station. Once I got to my bike I had my shirt, helmet, socks, and shoes on in under 30 seconds.

I did make one mistake though, I forgot to take off my swim trunks that I wore overtop of my underarmor compression shorts that I was wearing for the bike and run.

Not wear swim trunks and already be wearing a tri top so I don't have to put the top on.
Bike
  • 44m 33s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Wind was freakin brutal on the leg out which was pretty much have the race. I have 30 year old steel framed road bike and I felt like I was going pretty good (~15 to 16 mph going out) but was getting killed by those on nice tri bikes. The wind was strong enough were it seemed like the extra aerodynamics of the tri bike really came into advantage.

On the leg back we were with the wind I was up in the 21mph range and felt good. Again, i was passed by allot of guys on tri bikes with clipless pedals (I just wore my running shoes with cheap plastic cages that did nothing)

Honestly, even though my rank (204/304) wasn't great here I thought I did well. Next time, I need to keep losing weight (245 lbs right now, down from 305 last May), get clipless pedals and a newer bike wouldn't hurt.

I would also make sure I am not wearing swimming trunks as I am sure the big flapping legs didn't do much for my aerodynamics. I will also pray to the wind gods as well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Everything went well. I did have to take my shoes off so I could take my trunks off so that cost me 15 seconds most likely. I was right next to the ropes so my family was there cheering me on so I did give my kids a quick little hug as well.

NO SWIMMING TRUNKS
Run
  • 33m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a runner. I don't enjoy running yet, my goal was to survive. The heat was starting to really come down now, I just felt like it was crushing my lungs. I went into the race knowing I was going to run/walk, and that is what I did. I was hoping for 4 minutes of running and 30 seconds of jogging, it ended up being more like 2 minutes of running and 45 seconds of walking.

Being a bigger guy this isn't my area, I knew I would struggle here and I did. Something I just have to keep working at. I need to lose some more weight and keep pounding the pavement.

I could have pushed a little big more. I was worried I would get too hot and get cramps so I wasn't going as hard as I could have. When I finally saw the finish line I was able to get the pace up and it felt good, I should have done that earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

I had a beer at the beer trailer. No really, I walked around for a bit, got some water, talked with the family, then got a beer at the beer trailer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being over wheight and only training for 2 months. Next year I hope to be 190 lbs with 14 months of training under my belt I want to break the 1:15 mark.

Event comments:

I gave it a 5 because it was my first tri and I loved it. They had a beginners forum the night before which helped, along with lots of volunteers.

Last updated: 2009-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:49 | 400 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/16
Overall: 131/304
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The course was a single lap around a section of a small inland lake/pond. The exit was up the beach and then a run back across the beach (hardest part of the whole race IMHO).
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:22
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:33 | 13 miles | 17.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/304
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Course was basically a rectangle with 6 mile legs and a short 1/2 mile jog north and south. The course going out (west) was into the wind on a semi-average street, a little rough. No hills what so ever.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:57 | 03.11 miles | 10m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 249/304
Performance: Bad
Course: Nice run around the lake and then into a local neighborhood.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-11 11:45 AM

New user

Subject: Sylvania, Tri/Du

2009-08-11 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2341485

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Sylvania, Tri/Du
glad you liked the race and had fun. I think this set up is great for a first time race as it is very organized compared to some races and the course is flat. I love the beer truck as well eventhough I am not a giant fan of coors light- free beer is free beer. See you next year (just wear the spandex, everyone else does)
2009-08-11 2:46 PM
in reply to: #2341485

User image

Veteran
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Sylvania, Tri/Du

Whew! I'm glad it wasn't just me. So there wasn't any water at the 1st mile. Great job on your first race!!  You did really good on the swim. Next season you will really kick butt

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania, Tri/Du Rss Feed