LIN-MARK COMPUTER SPORTS
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 198/344
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/17
Pre-race routine:

I didn't sleep well and finally woke up for good at 3 a.m. I got up, ate a bagel and peanut butter and a banana, and drove to the site. It started raining on the way, and by the time I got there it was raining steadily. I stayed with Carrie in her car for awhile, then we all stood around shivering, talking about the weather. Insult was added to injury when Tri-Linda told us that the water was about .5 degrees too warm for wetsuits. Oh, well. I set up my stuff, trying to keep my shoes and socks warm in plastic bags.
Event warmup:

Nothing much. Swung my arms around a few times, and swam a few yards when I first got wet.
Swim
  • 36m 16s
  • 1600 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt strong throughout the swim, and consciously pushed hard for most of the middle section. The home stretch was congested with the slower swimmers from previous waves and this may have slowed me down some.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I guess I need more practice in swimming through congestion.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

This sucks. I gotta start doing better here.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 11s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

It was drizzling at the start of the ride and then started raining hard once I got out on the main part of the course. I initially took off my glasses so that I could see better but the rain was hurting my eyes so much I had to put them back on. I couldn't see that well until the rain subsided. Still, it was a fun ride. I pushed pretty hard, and jockeyed for position with these two women in their 30s for much of the way. That was fun. One of them said "I caught you!" near the end after I'd thought I'd lost them, but I got past her before the downhill back into transition.

I may have slowed too much on the downhill into transition, but it was bumpy and i was too cautious about the wet pavement. I should've kept my glasses on the whole time, too.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

I know I wasted precious seconds trying to get my gloves off without turning them inside out before realizing how ridiculous that was. It would have been nice to have had a second pair of dry socks in the bag with my shoes.

Not as bad as T1, but I gotta start doing better at transitions.
Run
  • 54m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt dead from the start and I briefly wondered if I was going to bonk. I also had to pee really bad. I was going to tough it out, then decided I'd run much better after relieving myself, and that turned out to be true. My right shin, especially, felt stiff and I could hear my feet slapping against the ground. Fortunately I loosened up after the first loop and felt better after that. I kept my pace pretty steady and went out at just the right pace off the bike.

I don't know. I'm pretty happy with my time, especially since I didn't really taper at all for this race, especially in terms of the run. I guess not stopping to pee would help, since it looks like it added nearly two minutes to my time.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood at the end and drank a bit, then got something to eat. I should've walked around more right after I finished because I quickly got kind of stiff in the drizzle and cool temperature.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably fatigue from the week's training.

Event comments:

I'll do it again. I probably would anyway, since it's local, but it's also well run and I like the courses.

Last updated: 2009-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:16 | 1600 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/344
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Left turns all the way, just the way I like it.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:11 | 24.6 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops of an out and back in each direction course. It's a smooth road, for the most part, and there are some nice stretches where you can pick up the speed a bit, as well as some moderate hills to power up. I don't really like the need to turn around three times, but it wasn't that bad.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:00 | 06.2 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Course: Two loops on a narrow paved path, with some up-and-down inclines. It was a little tough passing people at times, and it got congested with Sprint runners, especially the ones who were walking. Still, it was nice to see runners that I knew in passing several times.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes