General Discussion Triathlon Talk » time to choose... time to lose Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-05-11 9:38 PM

Western Mass
Subject: time to choose... time to lose
Current weight 190 height 69". My optimum weight is 155. I'm going to lose 25 pounds by Aug 1, bringing me down to 165. That's about a 1/3 of a pound per day.

Anyone out there on or want to get on this reduction? I'm thinking we share what we know and motivate each other to reach these goals.

I've got a nice Excel Spreadsheet that calculates percentage of calories from fat while tracking your complete caloric intake. I used it between thanksgiving and new years and lost 18 pounds. I was 208.

I can't quite figure out this team thing going on in the Group but I do need specific targets, so just saying I want to reduce is not sufficient for me. If you have a 2.3 pound per week target, and your within 10% of my current situation let me know who you are so I can join you and we can do this together.

2005-05-11 9:52 PM
in reply to: #156295

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: time to choose... time to lose
I'm 69" weigh 190. I'd like to be at 165 as well. Kind of spooky.

I've been using fitday.com to try to help, but not losing as fast as I'd like.

I'll give this a shot. Where would you like to start?
2005-05-12 7:56 PM

Western Mass
Cool. Hopefully we'll get some others to join in...

I just got back from the pool. My first swimming lesson. I've got to go out to the store..grocery shopping for my sons birthday party. When I get back I'll say what I'm grovin' on. Please do the same. This may not be fun but it will be productive.

I'll be back in an hour.
2005-05-12 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Here's the eats for today:

B: 8 oz. lo carb yogurt, 1/2 c. Kashi, 12 oz. coffee, 4 oz. V8 juice
L: salad, 2 oz. pork chop, 1/4 c. apricots in light syrup, 2 slices bread
S: 1/4 c. banana chips, 2 lo carb hard candies, 4 ak-mak sesame crackers, water (I grazed all afternoon)
D: 2 c. pasta, 1 med boneless, skinless chicken breast, sauted zucchini, spaghetti sauce, skim milk

I also swam for 34 min. (1125 yds.) According to fitday.com total calories 1742.

Weight this morning: 194.5 (net .5 lb loss)
2005-05-12 10:15 PM

Western Mass
This is freaky. Right when I saw you were a Kashi person...I knew.

I was 191 this morning. Here's my eats today.

• 5 C Oat Meal
    Coffee Skim Milk 20
    Veg Soup 170
    Turkey Sand 220
    Apple 125
    Rice Chex w/ milk 190
    Tabolli Salad 90
    Kashi w/ Skim Milk 180
    1 Cup Sherbert 230

for a total of 1415

I had my first swimming lesson today. I suck at the swim. I'm just glad clorinated water doesn't have any calories because I sucked in gallon and looked like a fool hackin' away.

I also did a 45 min strength aerobics class at lunch time...killer.

I'm still trying to get used to the training logs. I'd like you to motivate me into keeping it up do date. I think we should also put in our caloric tally up there too.

Although some voyeurs might enjoy watching our trials and tribulations maybe we should consider only posting up here weekly. I like the idea of a daily update. Waiting a week to see if we've lost anything is just that 7 days lost. If we don't make consistant progress, the other participant should jump all over the slacker (that'll be you.... you slacker)

Seriously, thanks for coming on board. This is going to be fun.
    2005-05-12 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC
    sounds good to me.

I'm really religious about my training log. I'll put you in my watch list and keep an eye on you...

Today was a light workout day only a swim. Tomorrow is a run in the early am then 1/2 hour weight training in the evening.

I'll start putting my eating back in the training log - you do the same. We can watch and "inspire" each other there.

2005-05-12 10:39 PM

Western Mass
    Will I figure out this watch list thing easily? I'm assuming it's on the training log pages....

I'll update each day at around 9:00 PM
    2005-05-12 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
    Salem, MA

Edited by Miko 2005-05-12 11:03 PM
    2005-05-14 8:04 AM

Western Mass
    Miko,

Are you in? We're just getting started. I'm still trying to get into the posting thing. Also I'm not to keen on the use of this website so I can offer anything there. I guess we've agreed to update or logs DAILY and check the people in our little group (only 3 incl you)

We're also into the carrot and stick. Big rewards for doing great and condemnation when you go astray.

I competing in the Greenfield Tri on Aug 7. I need to drop 25 lbs by then...and I will.

I get back to you.
    2005-05-14 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
    Madison, WI
    A good bit fatter and a smidgeon taller here, but I am starting to diet seriously on Sunday. I am 5'11" and 211. I want to get below 200 before my first tri (July 2). I have been eating healthily but not low cals since Jan. My academic year is finally done (sort of) and I am going to do three things this summer: study, train, and lose weight.

Goals: below 200 by July 2

Below 190 by September 1.

So can I join up?

I keep regular exercise logs but not food ones (but i will). I am going to start using fitday to calc everything starting this weekend. I have already bought a food scale which arrived last week (so you know I am committed)
    2005-05-14 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC
    Absolutely, We've decided to watch each other's logs and use the "inspire me" to keep after each other. I'll add you to my watch list!"

2005-05-15 9:21 PM

Western Mass
    to lablover and anyone else that wants to "join". The is no "joining", the are no time limits , there is no leader. We are all just a group of people that want to make the changes we need in our lives and "possibly" one of those changes is in helping others while we help ourselves.

As nuke_angle said, the only requirement in this group of wanderers is to update your training log accurately and completely and to at least look at the logs from others in the "group". If you have the time... add some motivational stuff...keep everyone going forward and don't leave anyone behind.

If you've struggled with weight gain you know there are weeks of progress and days or week of regression. Hopefully through this network we can figure out the triggers of regression and kick its ass.

Hope to see you and others here and now, and at Tri's throughout the country. Who knows maybe we'll all meet at the burning man festival and have a hooten hollerin good time.

http://www.burningman.com/

Edited by stevencraig 2005-05-15 9:25 PM
    2005-05-15 9:24 PM
    in reply to: #157593

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Western Massachusetts
    nuke_angel - 2005-05-14 3:31 PM

Absolutely, We've decided to watch each other's logs and use the "inspire me" to keep after each other. I'll add you to my watch list!"

I'm trying to figure out how to do a watch list. I went by Steven's log but don't know how to get back there unless I go find a post by him and click on his name. Is there a way to form a list?

Gwendal
    2005-05-15 9:26 PM
    in reply to: #157593

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Western Massachusetts
    nuke_angel - 2005-05-14 3:31 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to do a watch list. I went by Steven's log but don't know how to get back there unless I go find a post by him and click on his name. Is there a way to form a list?

Gwendal
    2005-05-15 9:31 PM

Western Mass
    gwendal . don't feel bad, I can't figure out the whole friends log thing at all. I click around like a chicken looking for ants to eat... with a bit of luck I land on nuke_angles log...usually I get too frustrated and give up. I hope that within the week I'll have it figured out.
    2005-05-15 9:50 PM

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC
    Let me try to explain the "friends list" on your training log. Once you've done it, it will make sense.

Go to your training log. Immediately to the left of the goals header is a column of symbols. The top one looks like a gear and a computer screen. This is your training log settings.
    Click on it. This will bring up your control panel.

Now, on the right is a list that says "You may choose 30 friends to monitor their blogs"

Type in the name (like Nuke_Angel) in the list. You can add as many names as you like (up to 30)

Go to the bottom of the screen and click "apply"

This SHOULD result in seeing a list of names to the left of your training log. You may need to scroll down a little to see them.

If you go to MY training log, you can see a list of 8-9 names there. Click on any of them and you jump to that person's log.

Clear as mud?

Gwendal - I will add you to my friend's list - expect comments and support!

2005-05-15 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC
    Double post...

Edited by nuke_angel 2005-05-15 9:54 PM
    2005-05-15 10:19 PM

Western Mass
    Ya..friggen...hoo

Thanks nuke. That last post finally made it stick for me. What I was doing wrong was typing you handle with a different case (e.g. Nuke_Angle read angle and angel) I guess case matters. Maybe I actually spelled it incorrectly, but it works now. Cool.

I'm online and ready to go.

I bought my bike at Bikes Unlimited in Greenfield http://www.bikes-unlimited.com The reason I bought there is the shop is known in our area for group bike rides. I'm going out on my first one tomorrow. Its the beginners monday night ride. You have to do the Monday night rides until the "group leader" thinks you have the guts for the higher level rides on Tue Thur Sat.

Check out my log tomorrow.

Edited by stevencraig 2005-05-15 10:26 PM
    2005-05-16 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
    Wilmington, NC

I will watch your logs today!

Glad you could join a beginner's group ride. The only group in my area is pretty hard core. This weeked their doing a metric century. This girl ain't ready for that yet (if ever ) They have a more basic ride on Wednesday night, but it begins and ends at a burrito place - not somewhere I need to be.

Anyway, it's a new week. and a new start on "the plan!"

2005-05-16 9:33 AM
    in reply to: #157998

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Western Massachusetts
    stevencraig - 2005-05-15 10:19 PM

Ya..friggen...hoo

Thanks nuke. That last post finally made it stick for me. What I was doing wrong was typing you handle with a different case (e.g. Nuke_Angle read angle and angel) I guess case matters. Maybe I actually spelled it incorrectly, but it works now. Cool.

I'm online and ready to go.

I bought my bike at Bikes Unlimited in Greenfield http://www.bikes-unlimited.com The reason I bought there is the shop is known in our area for group bike rides. I'm going out on my first one tomorrow. Its the beginners monday night ride. You have to do the Monday night rides until the "group leader" thinks you have the guts for the higher level rides on Tue Thur Sat.

Check out my log tomorrow.

I bought my bike there, too, and I'm also planning on being at the Monday ride. It'll get cancelled if there's much rain, though.

Good thing I'm not big into anonymity!

Gwendal
    2005-05-16 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran
    Wisconsin
    Hi guys! I am interested in getting into this group! I have been on that weight loss roller coaster for awhile and am quite sick of it.
    I am not the best at logs, but am working on it and will really try to do better. I think encouragement is the key piece in the weight loss mystery
    So I will add you all to my friends list and hope you do the same in adding me!
    I'm looking forward to encouraging and helping each other.
    Oh--a little about myself! I am 5' 5" and will have to give an accurate weight tomorrow--I only like looking at that vicious scale in the morning!
    Happy logging!

2005-06-17 5:03 PM

User image

Veteran
    Madison, WI
    I am bumping this thread to see if anyone else wants to sign on. We have had a bit of attrition as of late, but we are a fun, supportive blogging group.

Plus I am now the only guy
    2005-06-17 5:12 PM
    in reply to: #177446

User image

Veteran
    Auburn, Wa
    Seems like you need some male help so count me in. I have not set up my blog yet. Still getting used to the logs. Any help or encouragement I can get would be great and I will do the same. Chris
    2005-06-17 5:52 PM

User image

Count me in as another guy..... been plateau'd at 236... goal is 220 , or 215... or... ??  But I keep SABOTAGING my food.  Anyone else do that?  Like, I know I shouldn't eat that cookie, but wtf, I do it anyway????
    2005-06-17 6:48 PM

User image

Veteran
    Madison, WI
    Great guys, just add my log and the other people on the thread to your "friends" and inspire away!

Women are welcome as well of course. I am sure Gwen and Nuke would love the encouragement.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » time to choose... time to lose Rss Feed  

of 2