General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Bra-Ladies I need help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-13 11:00 AM

Veteran
Subject: Sports Bra-Ladies I need help!
Hello All,

I was about to post some tri pics, when I saw that I definetly need a more support upstairs.  The average sports bra for the avearage women does not fit an Athena like me. I've tried buying a smaller size to compress the girls but I literally sweat trying to get the thing on and the results are a uniboob with two bulls eye's! Help! I don't even want to start about the bottom half, there's just toooooooo much jiggle in my wiggle. UGH!

2009-08-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2346325

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Sports Bra-Ladies I need help!
I hear you! I finally (took me four years of looking, many years of wearing multiple sports bras at a time and lots of hurt shoulders trying to get them off) found one that I like, keeps the girls from putting an eye out and isn't too hard to get off and on...UnderArmour zip up the front...I strongly recommend it, haven't found anything else even close. Getting the zip started can be challenging, but worth it. Got it at Dave's Sporting Goods in Natick MA.

Only downfall - it holds the bad smells in - just bleach it every once and a while.
2009-08-13 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Without house
I love Fiona by Moving Comfort.  38D here, passed the bounce test, and no pain while running. Wicking fabric helps keep things dry, and no smell retention.  I've been using the ones I have for the past 3 years and they've held up great.  They have hooks like a normal bra...no having to be a contortionist to get the thing on over your head (my shoulders would never take that).

I have found them at REI, but also on Amazon.com (just ordered a blush colored one...can't wait to get it)

Oh, and for the bottom half, compression shorts will be your best friend.  I have more pain in my back side from running than my boobs.  Shorts or pants that hold it all in are a must for me.

Edited by maggyruth 2009-08-13 12:11 PM
2009-08-13 3:11 PM

New user

N. Va.
38D here, too.  Yikes, what a nightmare I went through when I started running this summer!

I had to schlep over to Dick's (with my kids in tow) and buy without trying and hope for the best.  Luckily, Champion marks their bras pretty well (i.e. maximum support) and I bought the Champion Shape Scoop-Back Full-Figure Underwire Sports Bra and the Champion Powerback Underwire Sports Bra (both are $42, I think.  I liked the scoop back model best -- both have well padded underwires, which I prefer in order to avoid the uniboob)

Title Nine Sportswear has a few serious bras for D-cups and above -- they rate on a 1 to 5 'barbell' scale.
The Last Resort Bra -- 5 barbells ($60)  *a compression bra, a bit of uniboob look, but NO bounce
Three Blessings Bra -- 4+ barbells ($58)  *a bit of the uniboob, but breathable
The Bounceless Bra  -- 4 barbells ($50) *definite separation here
Bye-Bye Bounce Bra -- 4 barbells ($58) * underwire under a scoop neck shape
Having-It-All Bra -- 4 barbells ($42) *full coverage, front closure, separate cups
Also -- T9 says they have Bra Fit Coaches available by phone.  Worth a try.

You might also want to call your local running shop to see if & when they have a bra-fit clinic.  So many women are in the wrong bra (for everyday wear, too.) and it makes such a difference.

When I went looking for triathlon tops, I wanted to scream every time I saw a 'shelf bra'.  WHAT A JOKE!  Once I figured out I was going to have to wear my running bra under my tri tank, it got a lot easier to figure out what to wear. 

I suppose complaining about tri shops not having any clothing in XL for women and precious little in L is a topic for another thread.  Yell
2009-08-13 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
I was going to post about the Title 9 Last Resort bra too!  Love it.  Two seasons and still holding them tight!
2009-08-13 7:38 PM

Pembroke, ON
I agree that any of the Moving Comfort bras are excellent for bigger chested ladies. 

I just had a baby and was a D cup prior to getting pregnant and now a DD since the pregnancy (yikes!).  The Fiona bra keeps everything motionless and comfortable (no bouncing) while I run without having your 'girls' being squished into the dreaded uniboob.  Their bras are very comfortable and the straps are velcro so you can customize your fit and there is no chafing or rubbing from any seams.  These are by far my fav brand of bras.

As a side note, I tried the frog bra and absolutely hated it.  It is a compression bra so you need to practically be a contortionist to get into it and once on, it was very tight feeling and my 'girls' were mashed down flat on my chest.  They still bounced. 

2009-08-13 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
I love my Champion Underwire bra ... Double Dry Seamless Full Support. I've worn it for two seasons ... five tris, 2 half marys, and a number of shorter races  It looks great under t-shirts ... no uniboob ... and is very comfortable, even to swim in.  I bought mine at Foleys/Macys but they also have them at Kohls, and they are on sale this week, I think 30% off.
2009-08-14 8:40 AM

Hartsdale
MOVING COMFORT!!!!  The best sports bras EVER!!!  I'm even using the moving comfort endurance tank during my races.  You will feel supported without any polking or prodding or shoulder strap discomfort.  I'm another 38D and I have tried so many other brands and these are it for me. 
2009-08-14 11:27 AM

Veteran

Thank you ladies for all of your suggestions and I apologize for the typos, I was upset and frustrated when I wrote it. I had just tried on 10 bras at Olympia sports and left with nothing.
Okay, here's another question: What about the headlights showing? While the Sex in the City girls find the look appealing. In the scene they purchased nip pads to display the high beams. I on the other hand, just don't like it. But with your support, pun intended, I’m off again to battle Lycra and underwire.

When training I wear a sports bra under my bathing suit and under my tri suit in races and each time I get into the water and out of the water it's as if the timer sounds and.... ding ding Turkey's ready!

Is there a bra that does everything you ladies mentioned and cover up the timers?

p.s. Boys have it easy! Hmm, but then again there's a Seinfeld episode that comes to mind.

2009-08-14 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2348664

User image

Veteran
Outside Boston
Once again, I'm going to tout theTitle 9 Last Resort bra.  I wear it under a tri-suit and have no problems with high beams Sealed
2009-08-14 12:15 PM

Veteran

I did a quick search on your suggestions and my problem is the width. I'm a 42/44 C

This one sounds perfect but the largest width is a 40. I could always order it and let the Bra flab hangover... Ugh... Has anyone had any problems or concerns with this one:

<form action="#" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="get"><script type="text/javascript">
Be the first to know about new arrivals, sales and special offers:
Timeout with Title Nine

Triple Threat Underwire

A triple threat because you get support from an all-powerful, 360-degree Powermesh and racer-back construction, you get separation from a cushioned underwire and you get easy on and off with a back hook closure. Adjustable straps. Nylon/spandex. Our most supportive racer-back style, the Triple Threat is best for C and D cups. By Champion. Catalog/web only. 32-40 C-D; 34-40 DD

2009-08-14 1:52 PM

Veteran

Thank you ladies. I found a BRA... yeah for me ...  

After 2 1/2 hours of online searching, I went with the Triple threat by Champion it'll be a little snug but I'm used to it. Prior to losing 65 pounds I could never find a bra wide enough so I didn't have a choice and wore a tight bra which resulted in bra flab. I still have another 40pounds to lose but I’m sure not wear I was and I’m happy.

But enough about me... Here's the info on the bra http://www.titlenine.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=2396 

Oh and here the photos I did not want to post because of the flabby, floppy boobs and these were the best ones. The others I'll view next year as a remember when. Hopefully, I'll receive the new bras prior to the Cranberry Tri on 8/30 and the photos from that event will be more uplifting for me and for all hee hee. Once again, pun intended  

Thank you ladies, you're the best!

Falmouth Sprint
July 19, 2009

<form id="fmrProofs" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">
<form id="fmrProofs" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded" method="post">

Why am I doing this?

Almost there!

Finished! Oh yeah, I do it because I CAN! and you CAN too!

2009-08-17 12:05 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX
Moving Comfort, for me, is the best by far.  I like the Finoa (velcro adjustable straps! and the Maia (especially distance running). 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sports Bra-Ladies I need help! Rss Feed