General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 59$ Really? But I dont want that... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-08-15 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2348756

Subject: RE: 59$ Really? But I dont want that...
newbz - 2009-08-14 1:01 PM
chandy14ski - 2009-08-13 7:36 PM Photographers make money because they are artists. That said, I don't know how much artistry goes into race photos...My 3 meathead friends can take pictures of me swimming/ biking/ running with their iphones that come out just as nice as any low res picture a photographer can offer. For that matter, my $300 Cannon Power Shot takes photos as good as any SLR I used in photography classes, and it has all the same options (great camera by the way).

Be honest, you are paying for the service. If the race pictures had some nice filter work, or some play with the shtter speed, or a cool lens effect I would say that $59 may be worth their time and effort. But when all pictures are done the same, rapid fire style,you can save yourself some cash and have a buddy take the picture with your own digital camera.

FYI the cost of 2 top of the line SLR cameras and all the memory you need is still less than I paid for my wedding photographer.

All that said, I work in insurance and I don't own my own business. Im sure this is not their first rodeo. Im sure there is some overhead that no one is concidering....

If you think its too expensive, don't buy it. Easy enough.
FYI you got ripped off. two top of the line digital cameras are going to put you over 2k right there, lenses for said cameras are gonna be another 1-2k, memory another hundred, how did you have doing your photos?!?!?!

I think that is the whole point of the OP. 

We had to pay for service, and travel time before we even got any photos.  The Photog did dress some up and make them real nice, and lots of lenses were used.  Some though, were just high res digital pictures that looked the same as the ones Nana took with the disposables left on the table...

I agree we got riped off, but we hired an artist... I am confident that our "fees" covered the cost of any camera/lens/memory expenses they had incurred.   If not us, the next wedding, for sure.  I understand they need to pay for their software, studio etc...

Im just agreeing with OP that $59 seems like a lot.  It's not really worth an argument with the photog or anyone else though.  If you think it costs too much, don't buy it.

2009-08-15 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2350091

Photo Mike - 2009-08-15 12:09 AM I'm a full time photographer.

Photography is not art. It is a business. It's our job to take the best pictures possible and then figure out a way to get the most money for our time, talent and effort.

You can make a great deal of money with volume photography. Anything that costs you too much time causes you to lose money.

We sell reproduction rights for $35 to $50 per file for some of our portrait clients AFTER they have purchased a minimum order in prints.

What would be ideal for the photographer and the racers would be if the entry fee covered the cost of a few images that would then be available to you via a link to a download site. No selling for the photographer and much less hassle.

I only wish that I had a decent picture of my wife and I from the triathlon last April. It was our first race.

Nuff said... end of thread. 
2009-08-15 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2347172

User image

I guess my opinion is that they have the right to charge/offer whatever they want...it's their service. You have the right to say no...it's your money.

2009-08-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2350196

nadaswimmer - 2009-08-15 8:23 AM

I guess my opinion is that they have the right to charge/offer whatever they want...it's their service. You have the right to say no...it's your money.

Very succinct. 

I should also add that I am a cheapskate.... If I had not spent 2 mortgage payments on tri gear this summer, I would probably be more willing to pay $59 for a nice set of pictures.... to hang in my shop.  That way, in January, when Im complaining about how many pairs of skis I have left to tune, I can remember how fun this all is!

I hope I don't sound as if Im bashing the photographers or any small business owner.  Seriously.  I think that $59 is too much, but there are clearly enough peole willing to pay, so as posted before, as a good buisness person, they should charge whatever they can get while making a profit... It is up to us to decide if their cost is worth it to us... like buying anything you dont NEED.

How big of a d*@khead move would it be to offer free photos to racers?  My wife and friends took a million pictures of me at my first tri.  There were also lots of great pictures of others.  I kind of feel like it is a kick in the balls of the photographer if I go around and offer to e mail them the picture for free... but lets face it, the pictures are there, and there is no need to throw them away (delete them)... and an e mail is pretty quick and easy...  
2009-08-15 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2350299

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
chandy14ski - 2009-08-15 9:56 AM \
How big of a d*@khead move would it be to offer free photos to racers?  My wife and friends took a million pictures of me at my first tri.  There were also lots of great pictures of others.  I kind of feel like it is a kick in the balls of the photographer if I go around and offer to e mail them the picture for free... but lets face it, the pictures are there, and there is no need to throw them away (delete them)... and an e mail is pretty quick and easy...  

I said this earlier in the thread, but there is a guy in Kansas City at a lot of their run and tri events who takes photos, posts them online, hands out his card and says "go download your pics for free."

He stands right by one of the official photographers the entire race. Not sure how he pulls it off, but he does. It's pretty awesome. http://www.seekcrun.com/
2009-08-15 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2347172

User image

marathonpix.com http://marathonpix.com/)goes to a lot of the big races (IM, escape, etc), and takes FANTASTIC pics that you can use for free.  The pics they took at IMAZ were so much better than the ASI pics (which I had already bought).  They list them all on their site, so you have to scroll through, but they are organized by time, so it's not too hard to find.  

These are the rules:

You are free:

• to Remix — to adapt the work

as long as you  attribute the source and don't use it for commercial purposes

2009-08-15 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2350372

User image

Champion
PA
lisac957 - 2009-08-15 12:00 PM

I said this earlier in the thread, but there is a guy in Kansas City at a lot of their run and tri events who takes photos, posts them online, hands out his card and says "go download your pics for free."

He stands right by one of the official photographers the entire race. Not sure how he pulls it off, but he does. It's pretty awesome. http://www.seekcrun.com/

The guy states on his site that the events raise a lot of money for charity and that it's the athletes that make that happen. He provides free pictures as his way to say thanks.  It's far from being a "d*@khead.  The next time anyone does something nice for someone else, consider yourself a d*@khead for not making them hire a professional???

2009-08-15 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2350405

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Pector55 - 2009-08-15 11:26 AM
lisac957 - 2009-08-15 12:00 PM

The guy states on his site that the events raise a lot of money for charity and that it's the athletes that make that happen. He provides free pictures as his way to say thanks.  It's far from being a "d*@khead.  The next time anyone does something nice for someone else, consider yourself a d*@khead for not making them hire a professional???

Whoa, what??
Where did I say he was a d*%khead? I've repeatedly said he was awesome.
And for the record, I bought photos from the professional phtographer who was there at the same races he was.
Jeesh. WTF.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 59$ Really? But I dont want that... Rss Feed  

of 4