American Cycling Association
46F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 32m 15s
Overall Rank = 9/12
Age Group = Cat 4 Women
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

I'm starting to feel like a broken record complaining about the weather. For 4 out of 5 of these races, the weather has been dismal, cold, and rainy with gale force winds. And today was unfortunately NOT the 1 out of 5 days that was nice. That was last week. When I first got to the race, the weather wasn't THAT bad. Overcast, but threatening rain. There were tornado warnings east of Denver, but it was obvious that the weather was getting worse. I thought to myself, "yep, it will be raining by the time I start my race." I was pretty much right. By the time I started, the wind had gotten way worse and the sky was black. I was sure that a deluge was going to start while I was on the course. I think everyone is really discouraged by the crap weather week after week and half of the people just didn't even show up. Everyone is tired of being freezing, wet, and blown around. I don't blame them. If I weren't missing next week's race because I'll be in Hawaii, I probably would have stayed home too (they throw out your lowest time or a DNS for the final rankings), but I can't afford to miss a race if I ever want to place decently in this series.
Event warmup:

I get out of my car and start to set up my trainer and immediately some guy who parked close to me comes over and starts talking to me. Never met this guy before but he's talking to me like we're old buds. I wanted to laugh because he has 3 Breathe Right nasal strips on his nose. You know, those things that open up your nasal passages or something. I've never seen someone wearing so many! Anyway, I'm trying to warm up and this guy is asking me about my bike, how long I've lived in Denver, what my times were in the previous races, and he has the gall to ask me how much I paid for my race wheels! Normally when I am admiring someone's equipment, I compliment it, but never ask how much it costs! Geez! My response was, "uhhhh, more than 5 dollars." I kept on saying "my husband this and my husband that" trying to give him the hint, but he wasn't going away. Finally he realized that he needed to start warming up and went away, thankfully. I felt like I had a cycling groupie.

When I was lining up for the start, Mark (markdills38) rides by and yells hello. It was nice to see a friendly face. :) But I was wondering what the heck he was doing out in this weather when he didn't have to be. He's tough going out for a training ride in that stuff. I'd be home on my trainer!
Bike
  • 32m 15s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Each week, I keep saying that I've never ridden in such strong winds before, and each week it seems to be getting worse. I really do think that's the case because I couldn't go faster than about 14mph into that wind. And I was going about 9mph up the hill on the course. That's pathetic. Once again, I felt like a pinball being bounced around in a pinball machine. The wind blew me around so much and I was afraid of being blown off my bike. I just get so discouraged by the wind from a psychological standpoint. I see some people's times and they look like the wind is not a factor for them - they must be so strong. I saw Mark a couple of times out on the course and he was yelling encouragement at me. That was nice - I needed all I could get. It basically sprinkled the whole time during the race. The roads weren't wet, but I was damp. Luckily I was dressed as warmly as I could be (and wearing my thermal booties in mid-May...there's something SO wrong with that).
What would you do differently?:

Stay home, lay on the couch by the fire drinking tea.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode around for a while, got back to my car. Mark stopped by, we chat for a while. Groupie-man shows up and asks how my race was (I'm thankful Mark was there because the groupie didn't hang around long - thanks Mark, you saved me!). Gee, I wonder how those nasal strips worked out for him?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, crap weather, my own mental tiredness and lack of motivation from having to deal with the weather.

Event comments:

Only one more race left in this series for me since I won't be here next week. I just want one more decent day so I can leave this series behind me on a positive note.

Last updated: 2005-05-12 12:00 AM
Biking
00:32:15 | 10.5 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 9/12
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back on the roads surrounding Cherry Creek Reservoir
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-05-12 10:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #5

2005-05-12 12:19 PM
in reply to: #156428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #5

Nice work!  Weather drives me nuts too.  I usually play hockey on Wednesday nights, outdoor, and for some reason or another rain likes Wednesdays.

BTW, what's the course for the TT series?  I ride Cherry Creek Res. all the time and have often wondered where the course is.

2005-05-12 12:27 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Nice, Stacie! I can't believe how fast you are in that wind! Almost 20 mph!!! I also find it amusing that you think Mark is tough for doing the exact same thing you're doing! LOL! You're BOTH tough for being out there last night!
2005-05-12 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

What would you do differently?  Have the week in Hawaii be week it's windy and snowing in Denver! 

I was hoping the good weather would hold.  I'll have to work on my psychic weather control skills! 

You still rode FAST!  I hope your competitors had to ride later in the rain! ha haaaa ha (evil laugh)

2005-05-13 12:40 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Way to go Stacie!  That's a good time considering the weather.  Sorry I came up and bothered you with my breath right strips on, I hadve a nasty drippy nose!  HAHA.  I saw that guy after the race at your truck.  I'm guessing it was the sme guy?  He had a foot long snot hanging out of his nose!  Nasty! 
2005-05-13 11:19 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Hehehe, you typed "groupie." Way to kick arse again in the carp weather. You are sooooo HOSS!

-Frank

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #5 Rss Feed