General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now I understand - Does anyone carry mace Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-14 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
Subject: Now I understand - Does anyone carry mace
Hi:

In a previous post where I was expressing how I did not like training outdoors and relayed that I am terrified of biking on my own in New York  (big fear of flat tires/bike mechanical problems), I realized that it was not my only huge fear and really was not the singular cause.

I am terrified of biking alone.  I thought about this a lot because in college I used to bike back and forth to school every day (miles) and biked to work, the store, and basically everywhere on my sturdy Target mountain bike I would always buy every new school year (okay they are not sooo sturdy and they also get stolen - darn college campuses!)

In my previous post, I wrote that I could get "raped/beaten/" etc. on the bike by myself and thought about this for quite some while.

Then I remembered that during the last year of my biking, on the way to a good friend's (sort of boyfriend) house, I had slowed down because I was approaching the turn to the street of my friend's house.  It was dusk.  Then some guys jumped out (well they seemed to), grabbed my handlebars from the side, stopped me, and said, "would you like to get raped tonight?" and then poured alcohol all over me.  I remember I was wearing little white overalls that I loved that were ruined after that because of the alcohol.  They finally let me go after one of their (probably) less drunk friends yelled out from the side something like, "Hey guys! Let her go!".  I biked speedily away and called my friend on a nearby store pay phone.  I was so shaken up that my friend's roommate came and got me and my bike in his pickup truck.  After that, they would not let me bike home at night by myself and if it was nighttime, they would take me and my bike in the pickup truck.  After that year, I did not bike much.  That was my senior year.

So posting here has led to my self-awareness.  THIS is one reason why I hate training outdoors. I used to love biking. I biked everywhere when I was in school.  And I mean everywhere.  After that year, I sort of hung up the bike - until I started triathlon training.  I love biking with my team, but when friends tell me that they found a 'great new route' and that I should try it, I just smile and nod - knowing full well I would never bike on my own.

Anyway, I'm thinking that I should not let this defeat me.  And perhaps I can carry something.  Although I still would not bike at night/dusk.  Does anyone else carry mace or pepper spray on the bike?  Bento Box anyone?  :-)  How else do you guys take safety precaution for when biking alone?

I hope this post wasn't too informative.

Thanks!

dbw27

Edited by dbw27 2009-08-14 11:42 AM

2009-08-14 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2348705

User image

Mentor
Subject: RE: Now I understand - Does anyone carry mace
I'm sorry that happened to you :( That really sucks and I can understand how that would shake you up, change you, and make you fearful. I hope you can talk to people about that. I don't carry mace and am not in a high risk area - suburban setting. But I still fear the possible attack. Heck, I get disturbed when guys drive by and honk at me when I run. It's unsettling and pisses me off actually. That being said, I do my best to not appear like a victim. Don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way! I dress like a hardass - no girly, cutsy outfits. I look as unattractive as I can - no makeup, a doo-rag over my (red) hair and sunglasses that are sporty - so I look like the kind of girl that could kick a regular guys' @ss. I'm always aware of my surroundings and I walk fast and with a purpose. Do you see what I'm saying? I want a guy to feel like if he took me on, he'd be in a world of hurt because I'm one tough girl . And I am. And yet I still do feel vulnerable and scared sometimes. But, I want to workout. I need to workout. And I don't want to be fearful of strangers. MOST strangers don't give a rat's @ss about me - and I realize that. I try not to do the same routes at the same time daily - it can be predictable for those with bad intentions. I let someone know where I'm going (route) and how long I expect to be. I keep my iphone in a SPIbelt. I carry myself like a chick that will mess you up - I want people that are actually looking at me to think: "damn, she's one athletic, hardass woman". I hope you get the idea. Not saying it's fool-proof, but I've heard that it can help.You be safe!! Tiffany

Edited by docheindeldvm 2009-08-14 12:13 PM
2009-08-14 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
I don't carry mace.  Really sorry to hear about what happened to you. It must have been really really scary.  I can usually assuage my fears by sticking to the daylight hours for training outdoors (except in winter - it gets dark early but there are lots of people out and about in the dinner hour). Generally I live in a really safe area but it doesn't mean it can't happen.   There's a trail I love not too far from me but I would never go alone in the dawn or dusk just because there have been a few assaults there. 

Maybe you could start by planning a short route through areas you know and at a time when you feel comfortable with the people that are out. Carry your cell phone so you can call if you need help.  And it doesn't have to be all or nothing maybe you start with one run every two weeks or just a short loop you can do multiple times ... you have a real fear and concern.  Best of luck!

2009-08-14 12:29 PM

User image

dbw27,

I totally understand your fears.  I wasn't surrounded on a bike, but once found myself surrounded in a secluded hallway in my dorm, where things could have happened.  It is horrible when you realize that you might have been a victim.

I did my first bike ride alone on Wednesday that was on a trail vs the road.  It was a little nerve wracking for me, to say the least.  I actually feel safer on the road, as far as attacks may go than I do on the trail which is secluded and surrounded by woods.

I have a black belt in Tang Soo Do, but it doesn't make me feel invincible.  As my instructor once told us, "any one can land a punch."  I do take from my training a lot of what Tiffany said about appearances and making smart decisions.  I try not to make myself appear vunlerable and I am very aware of my surroundings.  I am constantly checking who and what is around me.  I have been taught that people with bad intentions usually focus on someone they can ambush because that person is occupied with other things, like getting car keys out of her purse.

I have thought about mace, but unless it is in my hand, ready to go, I question it's effectiveness if I have to pull it out of a case to use it. 

At moment I am avoiding running/biking at night and going places that I consider questionably safe.  Someone always knows where I am and when I am expected home.  I call to check in when I am finished and either back home, or in a safe place. 

I will be forced to do some running in the dark in the fall and winter, so I look forward to what others have to say about using mace for protection.

Edited by karatejen 2009-08-14 12:31 PM
2009-08-14 1:03 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I got this for trail running a few years ago:  http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054112229007a.shtml

I gave it to my daughter last year so I should get another.  You can wear it on your hand or arm for easy access.
2009-08-14 2:53 PM

New user

Hey docheindeldvm  I like your attitude. If someone is looking to f-k w someone, let them know it’s better to pass on you and find someone easier. However, I’m a Clyde guy, but want to tell you, even the suburbs are high risk areas. Sometimes the burbs are worse than inner city ‘cause these azzholes like to jump in their cars and drive where they think people have their guard down.

To the OP, dbw27 , that is a terrible story and no one can fault you for being terrified. I can’t believe someone would even say “would you like to get raped tonight” and do what they did. What a bunch of effing azzholes, I hate cowards.   If you ever think you can get past this, I’m sure many people can offer safety tips on how to ride safely. Ride where there are people around, find some mixed (men and women) groups that ride about the same speed as you and stay near them. Where in NY are you? I ride Central Park and Prospect Park in Brooklyn; not only are there plenty of cops around, but plenty of people who I think would help you. Ride w a friend. My brother the cop always tells me that just 2 women together is exponentially safer than a single woman, that 2 women almost never get attacked but a woman by herself certainly could. Keep this in mind when you are out socializing/drinking as well.  Learn some self defense, so if someone does attack you, they’ll know they were in a fight. Scratch, bite, kick, spit, kick, pull hair, scream, hit them w anything you can pick up, your keys, pump, tools, your helmet; attack back!!  And yes, get mace or pepper spray but learn how to use it. But, be careful, there are many threads here about how to use it, but also many stories about how people used it so wrongly they ended up spraying themselves.

Best of luck, and be careful.

2009-08-14 3:18 PM

New user
I'm a dude, in a small rural community.  I carry pepper spray.  Never know when a rouge dog may pop out.
2009-08-14 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Maybe consider local group rides to get your confidence back. Power in numbers. It's really saddening to see these posts. People trying to do what they love (or hate) and are hindered by dick heads.
2009-08-14 4:18 PM

Regular
Bronze member
I would recommend to the OP and any women out there to consider taking a women's self defense class.  Most communities have a number of resources available, and taking one was one of the best things I ever did for myself.  Over the years I've taken several as refreshers, and they are very helpful.  A good women's self defense class will provide accurate information about how we are most at risk and what is most likely to keep ourselves safe.  Often there is a lot of misinformation about when we are most vulnerable.  A good self defense class will also focus on verbal and physical deescalation tactics to keep us safe.  As one of the other posters mentioned, there are things that we can do to help minimize the chance of an attack, for example exuding a self of self confidence and strength can and does often serve as a deterrent to a potential attacker.  Here is an organization that is working nationally on women's self defense issues, so they may have information about local classes: http://www.awsda.org/awsda/about/.  Part of what I like so much about triathlons is the amount of strength and self confidence that I get from training and competing.  It is sad to have fear interfere with that feeling of empowerment.  Good luck and stay safe ladies.
Erica
2009-08-14 5:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
First, I'm really sorry that happened to you. That's horrible. I can totally understand why you'd feel the way you do.

Second, a somewhat obvious disclaimer--I am not a woman, so I don't fully understand all of what you must be feeling. When I run, even at night and by myself, I am rarely the most vulnerable-looking target that I see on the paths. Anyone can be a victim if they're in the wrong place at the wrong time, but often, being the second-most-vulnerable person is all it takes to keep you safe.

Having said that, I've lived in NYC for quite a while and I've never heard of anyone being assaulted while riding their bike. There are plenty of examples, sadly, of people being attacked while running alone in parks or elsewhere, but I don't ever recall hearing any stories about people being jumped while in the act of riding their bike.

Again, I think it gets back to the "second-most-vulnerable person" theory. Criminals are, from my experience, inherently lazy cowards for the most part. Pose them with a challenge of any kind and they'll seek easier prey. A woman on a bike is faster, heavier (because of the additional weight of the bike )more alert, and probably more athletic (ie. stronger, more confident) than a woman walking by herself listening to her ipod and texting on her phone. Even if he sees you coming from a mile away, and has the presence of mind to lay in wait, there's likely to be easier prey than you coming along.

I think a certain amount of street-smarts are a valuable thing. I don't know if mace is that much of a game-changer anyway.
2009-08-14 7:16 PM

Pembroke, ON
I carry bear spray (mace/pepper spray is illegal here).  There are bears in our area so I don't want to be caught by either a bear or a perv.  I figure if it will bring down/deter a bear, it will do the same for a guy.  Sometimes just having it visible on you is enough to deter someone with bad intentions.

2009-08-14 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

My friend's husband bought me pepper spray (cute pink canister so as not to clash with my outfitWink). I keep it clipped on the front of my shorts.  Easy to get to in an emergency, far enough away from my face so that I don't accidentally spray myself!

2009-08-14 8:25 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area, California
It is a bit different with guys but, I have always preferred early morning rides because the odds of running into evil folks (or at least substance impaired folks) seems much lower at 7:00 am.  That and group rides/runs, when possible, is what I always recommend for my wife and other women athletes.  That, and carry a cell phone in case of bike failures.

Edited by JJohn 2009-08-14 8:29 PM
2009-08-15 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2349431

User image

Master
Never know when a rouge dog may pop out.

Please don't discriminate against "differently colored" dogs.  Those poor things need love, too.
2009-08-15 6:47 AM

I just got some for myself.  I recently had a really odd incident involving a man, his dog, and a joke attack command that actually worked.  This was during my long run, on what I would have previously considered to be a safe trail.  I don't think anything super bad would have come of it, but this guy was clearly not all there and it was just a step away from a disaster (I felt this dog's teeth on my leg, talk about freaky) .

So I decided to start carrying pepper spray (mine is like the one in the link above).  A Self-Defense center in my city has free self defense classes, and in the fall there are some at work that I will pay for.  I also try to be very aware of my surroundings, and I never wear headphones when running alone (you probably don't do this on your bike), because headphones make you less aware of your settings and therefore an easier target. 

I wish I had some biking tips for you, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.  Don't let anyone take away the things you enjoy without a fight.

Edited by DMW 2009-08-15 6:50 AM
2009-08-15 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2350121

User image

sand101 - 2009-08-15 12:03 AM
Never know when a rouge dog may pop out.

Please don't discriminate against "differently colored" dogs.  Those poor things need love, too.

LOL! Took me a minute to figure that out!

2009-08-15 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
I am so sorry about what happend to you, as I realize there are individuals out there with 'not so good intentions.' However, it is sort of liking falling off your bike and getting back on. Facing your fear will make it smaller and not seem so scary and all controlling.

I am all for being careful in your surroundings, but in life we can not control everything.  I train alone and am asked frequently "Do you ever get scared?"  No. I run/bike in rural areas. (I raced a tractor the other day on my bicycle for fun). 
I grew up in the country and am used to training alone. 

The way I figure it is, people are generally lazy and would rather pick on an easy target than someone on a bicycle or running besides I am sweaty and slippery..

I  do not let my imagination get the best of me. However, I use my eyes and ears when I am out and about.

If carrying mace allows you to relcaim you life and face your fears then I say go for it.

2009-08-15 11:17 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I have no easy answers on being comfortable on riding alone after what you have been through.  Mace wouldn't be a bad thing to carry.  But, I would look into seeing if there is a riding club around you regardless.  Group rides in themselves are fun and motivating but then there is the safety in numbers.  Although I ride by myself there are many reasons not to in of itself.  Crashing is one.  I ride country roads and the thought does go through my head about how few cars are out there should something happen to me like a crash.

One word of caution about a bike club though.  Make sure the ride is a ride that leaves no riders behind.  My club has rides of all classifications, from here's your map, have fun, to regroups, to group rides.  Talk to the ride leader and explain what your looking for and see if their ride will offer that level of security you need.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now I understand - Does anyone carry mace Rss Feed