Louisville, Kentucky
United States
80F / 27C
Total Time = 1h 49m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first event so I had no routine. I was basically in survival mode mentally. I could not sleep the night prior to the race and ended up being awake until around 2:30 AM. 5 AM alarm was way to loud and early.

I woke up and ate a Clif bar for breakfast. I low-carb so I bought the one I could find with the lowest Net-Carb value (22 grams). Made a pot of coffee, showered and out the door.
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a pool swim and no warmups were allowed. Temp was likely around 65 degrees outside and it was quite chilly waiting for the swim to start. I was anxious about the water temp as it has been unseasonally cold here. Stuck my toe in while waiting and to my suprise the water temp was likely around 80 degrees. Must be heated and now I am kicking myself for not coming by and swimming this pool prior to the event. I run at the same park at least 3 times per week so there was really no excuse for not swimming here at least once other than I thought the water might be to cool to swim.
What would you do differently?:

RELAX!!!

My first 400 meter technique was more drowning prevention than anything. Could not get any sort of pace. My 2 beat kick and long glide turned into a frantic 6 or 8 beat kick and I am not sure I ever glided. In the end I think this cost me some time. I typically workout at a 1:50 pace so this was pretty dissapointing overall.
Transition 1
  • 04m 12s
Comments:

I had this all planned out in my head but not having really practiced it I did not do as well as I had hoped. It was a long run from the pool to the transition so I am thinking that about a minute was used to get there.

Practice.
Bike
  • 51m 38s
  • 14 miles
  • 16.27 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a biker about 15 minutes ahead of me that was struck by a drunk driver. That's right a drunk driver at 8 freaking AM in the morning. Ughh...It was at about the 6 mile mark and it took all of the wind out of my sails. I had been tightly tucked and riding my clip on aero bars but after that I just sort of forgot what I was doing. Spent the rest of the race up on the hoods and just sort of cruising rehashing the scene.

It was an out and back race so I got to pass by at both the 6 and 8 mile mark. Ughh...

Focus and stay in my aero position. I worked way to hard sitting up in the saddle fighting the wind.
I did not drink anything at all on the ride...WTF!
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Forgot to take off my helmet which cost me a bit of time. Completely lost as to what I was supposed to do when I arrived in transition.

Next time play this step out in my head as I am closing in from the bike. I need to replay it several times so I don't seem like a keystone cop while I am there.
Run
  • 34m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I left transition and as soon as I exited the park and onto the main road my calf cramped. I had to stop for about 2 minutes to work it out. A runner on coming back from the loop encouraged me to keep going and off I went. Thanks dude that encouraged me, no idea who you are but it helped. It worked itself out after I skipped for about 100 yards.

I am a very heavy sweater and I realized at that point that the only fluids I had all morning was from a half mug of coffee. I could not wait to get to the first water station at mile 1. I stopped and walked there while I gulped down 2 cups of water. On the way back I picked up 2 more cups of water and walked while I drank them.

Once I got those down I took off and felt great for the remainder. Turning into the park I got my second wind and don't honestly remember much other than a euphoric feeling of being fast and light. I picked up my pace a little and took off for the finish. My sister in law was at the finish and snapped a photo as I crossed. Thanks Erica.

Drink fluids in the morning of the race prior to it starting.
Post race
Warm down:

No time to warm down. I crossed the finish and was told the race was cancelled. We were instructed to quickly gather our things and clear out. No stretch, still no fluids and no warm-down. I paid for this as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatality on the course. Just really never got my head straight again after seeing that.

Event comments:

I only rated it average because I honestly have no idea how good it was. Nothing to compare it to for one thing, the other was there was no time to enjoy the moment as I was rushed from the park moments after finishing. I am not suggesting that the Organizers are at any type of fault but I had built it up to be a great day in my head and it turned into a nightmare.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 875 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 8 lane 100 Meter Pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:12
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:38 | 14 miles | 16.27 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Winds through a residential area with several speed bumps along the way. Took some getting used to on how to handle these without loosing all of my momentum going over them.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:34:07 | 03.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Course: Mostly flat with a few shady spots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes