General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you consider yourself a "Triathlete"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2005-05-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: #156845

Expert
NC Illinois
Subject: RE: Do you consider yourself a "Triathlete"?
As someone already said earlier ... it doesn't really matter.

Here are two things that I observe:

[1] It doesn't matter what YOU call yourself if no one else acknowledges it. I say I have "movie star" good looks. Not many agree.

[2] If others call me a I triathlete, and I do not feel that I am, then it doesn't matter either.

------------------------------------

With the whole labelling thing ... here's what I don't understand. I go play in a YMCA basketball league, yet don't refer to myself as a "basketball player". I pitch in a men's baseball league, but do not refer to myself as a "baseball player". I play tennis with my dad, yet I do not call myself a "tennis player". I also golf, yet I am not a "golfer". I love to lift weights, yet I am not a bodybuilder, powerlifter, nor an olympic lifter. So, why the hell would I start calling myself a "triathlete" because I did a few triathlons or the training?

People can call themselves whatever they want (and they often do). Getting others to acknowledge or respect the self-ascribed label is another thing.

AFAIC, I am a husband-father-teacher-coach that "does triahtlons" (or at leadt, trains for triathlons). If I labelled myself for every "hobby" I have, I'd be a carpenter, landscapist, artist, poker player, pastor, researcher, author, video game tester, and on and on. I'm a triathlete in the same regard I am a carpenter because I've hung up drywall and built a fence.

I'm a carpenter (or a triathlete) when achieving carpenters (or triathletes) talk to me as if I am "one of their own".

It's seems that too many people get into this *sport* for the sheer acknowledgement of others, or to fit into some sort of clique that provides a deeply-sought acceptance.

As I said before, calling yourself something doesn't make it so ... otherwise I'd be the perfect blend of Vin Diesel and Mel Gibson.

2005-05-13 5:57 PM
in reply to: #157363

User image

Elite
San Diego
TripleThreat - 2005-05-13 2:39 PM

[1] It doesn't matter what YOU call yourself if no one else acknowledges it. I say I have "movie star" good looks. Not many agree.

[2] If others call me a I triathlete, and I do not feel that I am, then it doesn't matter either.

With the whole labelling thing ... here's what I don't understand. I go play in a YMCA basketball league, yet don't refer to myself as a "basketball player". I pitch in a men's baseball league, but do not refer to myself as a "baseball player". I play tennis with my dad, yet I do not call myself a "tennis player". I also golf, yet I am not a "golfer". I love to lift weights, yet I am not a bodybuilder, powerlifter, nor an olympic lifter. So, why the hell would I start calling myself a "triathlete" because I did a few triathlons or the training?

People can call themselves whatever they want (and they often do). Getting others to acknowledge or respect the self-ascribed label is another thing.

AFAIC, I am a husband-father-teacher-coach that "does triahtlons" (or at leadt, trains for triathlons). If I labelled myself for every "hobby" I have, I'd be a carpenter, landscapist, artist, poker player, pastor, researcher, author, video game tester, and on and on. I'm a triathlete in the same regard I am a carpenter because I've hung up drywall and built a fence.

I'm a carpenter (or a triathlete) when achieving carpenters (or triathletes) talk to me as if I am "one of their own".

It's seems that too many people get into this *sport* for the sheer acknowledgement of others, or to fit into some sort of clique that provides a deeply-sought acceptance.

As I said before, calling yourself something doesn't make it so ... otherwise I'd be the perfect blend of Vin Diesel and Mel Gibson.

Sweet post Triple!
2005-05-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: #157363

User image

Central California
TripleThreat - 2005-05-13 2:39 PM

With all due respect, "thou prosesteth too much". Seems that some here do think that it matters how one self-identifies. By the above definition only professionals are worthy of the name "triathlete". Perhaps that's true, but I reiterate when one is participating in a triathlon he/she is by definition a "triathlete". Just as when you are playing basketball you are a "basketball player". Seems pretty straight forward to me....

Just for the record, I've never referred to myself as a triathlete.

As for what you call yourself, that's up to you.
2005-05-13 6:54 PM
in reply to: #156959

User image

Master
Central, IL
Great Comment - MOTIVATED (Karl)! I agree.

Edited by Writebrained 2005-05-13 6:56 PM
2005-05-13 11:20 PM
in reply to: #157389

Expert
NC Illinois
Certainly so .... I, of course, prefer my opinion (otherwise it would not be my opinion), but I don't see my opinion on the matter as being more valid (worthwhile) than anyone else's.

It just seems peculiar to me that one would find it acceptable to call themselves a "triathlete" for doing a single triathlon or even one summer of triathlons, but they do not say "I am a teacher" even though they may have taught their kids to read and write, nor do they label themselves as "counselor" even though they give advice to friends and family, etc.

What is wrong with leaving the label "triathlete" for the professionals or those close to it? Isn't that what we do with every other single label? Why must a novice demand (let alone self-title) to share the same level as someone that has earned the label through committment and achievement? What is wrong with keeping a few things sacred? I know that triathlon, for many, is something that brings instant "validation" for one reason or another (even for myself), but can't we save some things for those that truly earn it through achievement?

I just placed a Scooby Doo band-aid on my 4yo son's thumb, do I now refer to myself as "Dr. TripleThreat"? =) Wouldn't there be similar "rights of passage" with other endeavors, including triathlon?

It seems confusing, because triathlon, like other things such as golf, fishing, etc are more of *hobbies* than *sport*, so perhaps the label is thrown around more easily than say calling myself a "boxer" because I sparred with a buddy for 4 rounds?

Certainly their could be a distinction between "triathletes" and "those that do a few annual triathlons", without either group feeling slighted, right?

I would never chastise (sp?) someone for referring to themselves as "triathlete" because their achievements will put the label into context as to how it should be understood, but from someone that has played organized sports from elementary school through college (baseball), I prefer to keep some things "sacred". I am a big believer of "rights of passage" and grew up in an era where "ascending up the pecking order" was not only not a bad thing, but expected. That's where my perspective comes form.

Based on my experience, the only time the labels prove to be negative is when one person says "I am ..." and another responds with "No, you are not ..." ... then the flame war starts.
2005-05-14 9:31 PM
in reply to: #156584

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
I've done about 6 races. I don't SAY I'm a triathlete, but when people ask what I enjoy doing in the summer I say I like to do triathlons (and other things). I'm also a dental hygienist, mom, wife, hockey player, softball player, bird watcher, motorcycle rider, depending on what I'm doing at the time.
I guess you can label yourself at any given time with whatever fits that moment. Right now I'm a computer geek!
On June 12th I'll be a triathlete. Tuesday I'll be a softball player....
Still, if you've completed a triathlon, you should feel free to call yourself a triathlete!
IMHO

Edited by bmax 2005-05-14 9:33 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you consider yourself a "Triathlete"? Rss Feed  

of 3