General Discussion Triathlon Talk » does anyone else get headaches after swimming laps in a pool? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2009-08-15 1:04 PM

Subject: does anyone else get headaches after swimming laps in a pool?
Hi guys - I am a beginning training for my first sprint tri in October.  I live in the desert and do the majority of my training in an Olympic size pool.  It is our community pool.  Every time I swim I get headaches after I swim - I am not sure from what.  It is 110 degrees here right now.  My husband thinks it is the chlorine in our pool - because it is a public pool they have to use a lot of chlorine.  I am currently swimming 750-800 meters freestyle, but swimming has not been a huge part of my workout activities before this.  I do wear a swim cap and goggles, but no longer wear a latex cap because I thought that what was causing the headaches, but I am still having them. 

If anybody has any ideas I would appreciate the help.  Thanks - Liz

2009-08-15 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2350469

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: does anyone else get headaches after swimming laps in a pool?
Nope. Sure don't. I do after long rides though.

Are your goggles too tight?

What does your nutrition look like? While you don't need nutrition during the swim, if you are hungry going into it, you might be getting a headache due to lack of food. I get them when I haven't eaten enough.

2009-08-15 1:54 PM

Regular
West Texas
Could be chlorine levels.  I get sinus drainage, blow my nose all day, on days that the chlorine level are high. 
2009-08-15 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
It could also be that you're not breathing enough during your swim.  Until you get into good swimming shape, it might happen that you'll get a headache.  YOu might need to take more frequent breaks to get enough oxygen into your system.  You may also want to be sure you don't have sports induced asthma, or if you do, have your inhaler with you.

I was a competitive swimmer  up through college and at the beginning of each season, I seem to remember that being a problem until my lungs adjusted to being back in the water. 
2009-08-15 2:22 PM

User image

Champion
PA
I don't but the smell of my clothes (and sometimes me) even after my shower bothers me a lot.  I don't know how they treat the pool I go to but their chemicals must be way off.
2009-08-15 2:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
When I was swimming in Kabul I got headaches after every swim and had to take migraine medication just to get through it...at home not so much. I think it was chlorine levels, as the pool at my fitness center seems to be treated differently. I started wearing earplugs and it helped a bit, but I'd start with a few tests. Try different goggles, earplugs, sinus medication, etc until you pin down the cause.

2009-08-15 2:34 PM

User image

I did when I first started swim training.  I thought it was just getting used to swimming.  But just recently, 7 months later, I am getting them again.  I thought again it might be because I wasn't swimming very often.  But now I wonder if it is chlorine.  I might ask if they have certain days they treat the pool.
2009-08-15 3:29 PM

User image

Champion
PA
Well NOW I have one.  I didn't realize my pool closed at 4PM on Saturdays.  I was only 500yds into my swim and was rudely interrupted by a lady informing me they were closing.

The nerve of some businesses. 
2009-08-15 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
I get them after I do a long workout in our local pool. I think it's a combination of the chlorine levels and my breathing.  They usually happen after I haven't been at the pool for a couple of weeks.  It goes away again after I get back into a routine.

You might also think about hydrating more.   Sometimes when I don't hydrate enough, I'll get headaches as well.

Good luck and feel better!
2009-08-15 6:23 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Have fun with the journey! 

How quickly does the headache go away? 

It could be the chlorine.  Do you have either a runny or stuffy nose (that's usually the first symptom)?  In my case, the first time or two I swim in a pool, my sinuses go nuts.  After a couple swims, they settle down.  I had two pools I would swim at, and as long as I swam mainly at one (or the other) I was OK, but suffered every switch.  These headaches often last hours. 

It could be breathing.  I have the most confidence in this based on experience.  You are either not breathing enough, or holding your breath.  Your breathing should be steady and controlled, exhaling until you turn your head to get a quick breath.  I tell people to hum as that forces the exhale through your nose so you don't get as much water in it.  Breathing headaches probably dissipate in an hour or so as your body works out all the excess carbon dioxide. 

It could be dehydration.  You're swimming in a hot environment, and you won't necessarily notice the sweat, and you won't usually feel overheated like you might running/riding, but it still happens.  Dehydration headaches will last as long as the dehydration lasts and if it goes away as you drink throughout the day, that may be the cause. 

Less likely causes?  Goggles too tight or pressing on your sinus cavities (suction should hold them in place, not the strap).  What is the tint on the goggles?  If they're clear or very light, it could be sunlight based (it sounds like an outdoor pool) particularly if you're good about wearing sunglasses other times when you're outside.  Are you hungry?  I usually have a granola bar or something after I swim because I get very hungry. 

2009-08-15 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
West Hartford, CT
Hey!!!

I used to get nauseous, headachy - etc. I switched to Aquaspehere  Googles, that helped, and also OWS - I know you are far away from any lakes.....I get headaches now when I know I am not hydrated enough -

Hope they start going away soon!

2009-08-15 8:57 PM

User image

Master
I vote for breathing. I remember (from being a teenager) getting headaches from doing tough swims and it was usually times that my breathing was off or I was holding my breath.
I can almost feel the headache, but sadly, can't think of a way to describe it. For me, it wasn't like a sinus pressure headache, or like a concussion headache (had a bunch of those).
Breathe and rest more. See if that helps.
2009-08-15 9:28 PM

Thanks everyone for the input - I really appreciate it.  I had thought it was my breathing that might be causing it - to be honest, the first 400 meters of my swim is not too difficult, but after that I struggle to make the rest of the laps.  I usually go about three or four strokes before I take a breath - am I waiting too long?  My goggles are tinted - maybe I need to look at another pair.  I have three pairs - one that is not tinted, one that is too tight and one that is not too tight, but I have never noticed how they sit on my sinus cavities.  

The sprint tri I am doing in October is 750 meters - maybe I need to just get really good at doing 500 meters right now and then add more as I get better at my breathing.  I also thought about trying to swim at another pool to see if it is the chlorine as my husband suggested.  

Thanks everyone - and hi Claudia!!! 
2009-08-16 9:38 AM

User image

You have to stop before you get to the wall.  You can do a flip turn or just put your hand out, but using your head to let you know when it's time to head in the other directions usually will give you headaches.  Took me 3 weeks to figure that out. Wink

(for those that don't get jokes, ^ this is one.)
2009-08-16 8:01 PM

Expert
Ann Arbor
I get them after I've been swimming long sets for a while.  during the high school season when we had to do sets of 5x500 my head would be throbbing by the end.  I assumed that it had to do with chlorine.
2009-08-17 2:45 AM

User image

As funny as it sounds you may be allergic to the chlorine. I used to swim competitively when I was a lot younger and I used to get really bad headaches and a runny nose everytime I swam. My Dr diagnosed me as being allergic to chlorin and gave me a nasal spray which I used every time I swam and that helped a lot!

2009-08-17 4:13 AM

User image

Veteran
It happens to me too when I don't eat enough or when I swim in the sun.
2009-11-08 4:37 PM

Regular
California
Interesting thread. I had a great swim this morning for about 1hr 15mins followed by a great 1h15min run, but afterwards I got a really really serious headache. I also had the feeling I was about to vomit.Interestingly, it feels like it's only the left part of my head that hurts, and the areas close to the nose around my left eye hurt when I apply little pressure on them. Took 2 tylenols, didn't do anything, took a nap and now I feel quite a bit better; head still hurts but not as badly as before. (The headaches have happened twice before, and only since I started swimming).Would it be the goggles? I know they're way too tight, they leave big pressure marks around my eyes for a few hours every time I go swimming. Guess I should pick a new type to see what happens.
2009-11-08 5:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Whispering Pines, NC
So glad I pulled up this thread!!!  I ALWAYS hold my breath and exhale quickly before I come up for a breath...no wonder I feel like arse during my swim!!!  THanks for the question!
2011-08-04 2:09 PM

I get them when I'm out of shape and swim a hard set. Once I'm in shape they go away.
2011-08-04 10:06 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach

I started using a scuba mask to swim in as I do not like nose clips. Sealing off my nose works wonders. No more headaches or stuffiness for days after a swim. I think the headaches start with sinus irritation, but become migranes. Mine are one sided (always on the right)  and can last for 3 days.  Oddly, I've found that a heaping dose of benadryl really helps when I do get one. Unfortunately, it puts me out for about 8 hours.

2011-08-04 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Is it a indoor pool. If It is not an indoor then it is most likely not the chemicals in the pool
2011-08-05 1:49 AM
in reply to: #3629906

I am going to add something I found.  If I have not swum for awhile and jump right back into longer distances, I get tired and sloppy.  When I get sloppy I tend to lift my head more as I am breathing.  I breathe on one side 90% of the time.  Then I get a headache, I figured it was from poor form and poor fitness.  Plus I tell myself it’s another reason to work on bilateral breathing.

Not really sure, just my own thoughts

2011-08-05 9:35 AM

User image

I have gotten them from dehydration.  Since you are in the water, you don't realize how much your body is sweating.  Or at least, *I* don't.  I can see this being a problem with the kind of temps you are dealing with.
2011-08-05 12:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » does anyone else get headaches after swimming laps in a pool? Rss Feed  

of 1