United States
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 29m 56s
Overall Rank = 21/92
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/26
Pre-race routine:

Camped at Buffalo River State Park, but was kept awake until well after midnight by loud boys, and a thunderstorm. Got up early, packed up camp, and drove to Detroit Lakes. Ate a bagel with peanut butter, a banana, and had a vague approximation of coffee along the way.

Set up the transition area got myself ready.
Event warmup:

Ran for a couple minutes before the pre-race meeting. Swam ~150 meters. Not much time to stretch.
Swim
  • 24m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being one of the first couple people out of the waterwas my only goal for this race. After that, I didn't care that much how things went.

Got off to a good start and had a few people just behind and on either side of me. After 100 meters or so, I slowed a bit to see if I could coax one guy ahead so I could draft. No good. He slowed too. So I kept going. After a few moments, though, I surged to open a small gap. The remainder of the swim, the next swimmers were a couple seconds behind me. Sighting was difficult on the way in, but I came out of the water a second or two in front of the next swimmers.

There were far too few buoys on this course. After rounding the first corner, it was hundreds of meters before the next buoy. I actually had to stop and look up for a moment to see where I was going. There really needed to be some smaller intermediate buoys along the way. After the far turn-around, there were no buoys too guide us back to shore. Didn't like that at all. Just had to guess which landmark to sight on. Not cool.

Swim was pretty shallow and probably could have touched the bottom for most of the race. Also was crawling through the weeds as I came back to shore. Didn't like the swim course at all.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was perfect.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Since I pushed pretty hard on the swim, I was struggling to do much more than a slow plodding run to my bike. Accomplished my race goal, so I didn't rush things.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.31 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't going to push too hard on the bike. Just wanted to average over 20 mph, which I did. Passed by a fair number of people and didn't pass anyone. Kind of windy here and there

Nothing. I was satisfied with this part of my race considering what my training has been like this summer.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Didn't think to take my feet out of my shoes until it was almost too late. It wasn't very clear where I was supposed to enter the transition area as there were a couple different chutes (running, biking, finish) so I got off the bike too soon. Also didn't see my stuff right away. Transition still went fine, though, and actually 3rd fastest in my age group.

Look over the in/out area before the race.
Run
  • 49m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt fine, but I had bad cramps in what felt like my diaphragm for the first mile and a half. Walked about half of that. Rest of the run was mediocre at best. It started to rain about the time I was able to run regularly and rained pretty hard on and off for the remainder of the run. Tried to run a little faster a few times, but that didn't work very well, so I just kept going.

Wish I knew what caused those cramps.
Post race
Warm down:

It was raining pretty good, so I cooled down pretty quick. Packed up the transition area and changed into dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, back problems, stomach cramps.

Event comments:

The swim course needs changing and needs more buoys. The run course needs to be better controlled so there aren't runners, and cyclists on the same part of road with cars going by as well. There wasn't any food right at the race finish, just water. About 30 minutes after I finished a free "meal" was served to participants, but it was pretty mediocre.

Glad I did this race, but I don't plan on doing it again.

Last updated: 2009-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/26
Overall: 2/92
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Poorly bouyied triangle. ~150 meters straight out, ~700 meters paralleling the shore, ~800 meters diagonal back to the beach with no buoys to sight on.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:24 | 24.85 miles | 20.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 39/92
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops around Detroit Lake. Few small rolling hills, but nothing serious.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 47/92
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back along the road along the lake and then on a paved trail. Nothing separating runners coming and runners going.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-08-15 7:02 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Young Life Triathlon

2009-08-15 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2350841

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Young Life Triathlon

Sounds like a rough one   Great swim though!

2009-08-16 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2351130

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
at least you killed the swim, great time, you must be part fish.
2009-08-16 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2350841

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

large mouth bass... on my mother's side.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Young Life Triathlon Rss Feed