General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-11-13 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2510837

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: RE: Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009
carteroak - 2009-11-12 12:56 PM
Happychick - 2009-11-12 1:18 AM I'm still here and going strong ~ I just have not been able to "play" on BT as much as I'd like since starting school.  Priorities, right?!

Kelly, I would love to try your squash recipe but I am ashamed to admit that I don't even know where to begin.  You said that you "baked 4 small acorn squash until tender.  Then I mixed the cooked flesh."  Again, I hate to admit that I have no idea what this means...did you just throw the whole thing in the oven or what?  The flesh?  I'm assuming that is the stuff inside?  (stop laughing at me!!!)
Can you tell I hate cooking?  I'm trying really hard though to learn and this sounds yummy AND easy!!

Hopefully, Kelly with share her technique, too, but here's what I did - I cut one large acorn squash in have lengthwise and scraped out all the seeds.  Then I put a little butter on the cut surface to keep it soft (you could use olive or canola oil instead).  Then I put 1/4 inch of water in a pyrex 9X13 dish and put the squash in it cut side up.  I covered it with foil and baked it at 375 for about an hour - you want it to be fork tender and it could take anywhere from 45min to 1:15.   Once it was soft, I pulled it out of the oven, let it cool enough to handle, and scraped all of the flesh out of the outer skin (which is pretty tough).  Then I followed Kelly's instructions and estimated most of the quanities.  I poured it all into an oven safe dish, covered in foil, and baked at 350 for another 45 min.  Delicious!

I have stopped laughing and I couldn't have said it better...

Edited by kcovert1 2009-11-13 6:33 AM

2009-11-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2511959

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
kcovert1 - 2009-11-13 1:29 AM
Happychick - 2009-11-12 1:18 AM I'm still here and going strong ~ I just have not been able to "play" on BT as much as I'd like since starting school.  Priorities, right?!

Kelly, I would love to try your squash recipe but I am ashamed to admit that I don't even know where to begin.  You said that you "baked 4 small acorn squash until tender.  Then I mixed the cooked flesh."  Again, I hate to admit that I have no idea what this means...did you just throw the whole thing in the oven or what?  The flesh?  I'm assuming that is the stuff inside?  (stop laughing at me!!!)
Can you tell I hate cooking?  I'm trying really hard though to learn and this sounds yummy AND easy!!

Hopefully, Kelly with share her technique, too, but here's what I did - I cut one large acorn squash in have lengthwise and scraped out all the seeds.  Then I put a little butter on the cut surface to keep it soft (you could use olive or canola oil instead).  Then I put 1/4 inch of water in a pyrex 9X13 dish and put the squash in it cut side up.  I covered it with foil and baked it at 375 for about an hour - you want it to be fork tender and it could take anywhere from 45min to 1:15.   Once it was soft, I pulled it out of the oven, let it cool enough to handle, and scraped all of the flesh out of the outer skin (which is pretty tough).  Then I followed Kelly's instructions and estimated most of the quanities.  I poured it all into an oven safe dish, covered in foil, and baked at 350 for another 45 min.  Delicious!

Geeeeez, thanks!!
So now that you have stopped laughing, my next question is...which one is the acorn squash?  The commissary has all the squash in one big bin so I have no clue which one it actually is.  (I know...this is just pathetic so go ahead ~ start laughing again!!)
2009-11-15 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2512627

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Happychick - 2009-11-13 12:44 PM
kcovert1 - 2009-11-13 1:29 AM

Geeeeez, thanks!!
So now that you have stopped laughing, my next question is...which one is the acorn squash?  The commissary has all the squash in one big bin so I have no clue which one it actually is.  (I know...this is just pathetic so go ahead ~ start laughing again!!)

Okay.  I must confess that I had a pretty good belly laugh on this one - had to explain to my husband why I was busting up.  But I've almost stopped.  ; )  It's okay, Michelle.  I didn't know either until I read some cookbooks and bought some random ones to play with on my own.  I'll bet you are in the majority and at least your willing to ask!

Anyways, the acorn squash is usually dark green, sometimes orange or green and orange, and it is sort of shaped like a big acorn - wider and flatter on top and pointy on the bottom.  You really could use most any winter squash for this - butternut (kind of off-white color and shaped like a light bulb w/a long neck and a short bulb) and pumpkin would probably work great!  Spaghetti squash (yellow football) is yummy, but when you cook it like I suggested for the acorn squash to make it soft, you can scrape it out w/a fork and it looks like spaghetti.  You can just serve it w/any kind of topping like you would with pasta but I doubt it would work well for Kelly's recipe.  Delicata squash is yummy, too (long, skinny, speckled, and probably smaller than the others) and would work, but the ones I've seen wouldn't give you much squash.  You'd need a bunch of them.

I'm sure there are many more varieties that I have yet to discover.  Anyone have any suggestions of other varieties and best ways to prepare them?  I love how nutritious and tasty winter squash is.  It is a great low cal substitution for potatoes and other starches as a side dish!  I'm going to try some squash soup recipes this winter, too!
2009-11-17 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2351616

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Just a reminder to everyone - we are in the final week of this challenge!  In order to be eligible for the gift card, you must post your final weight in the Nov 23rd column of the spreadsheet.  I will pm the winner to find out where to send it.  Hang tough everyone!
2009-11-19 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Will there be a winter challenge coming down the pike? I've been tempted before, but never able to play because I was hooked on diet Pepsi. I've finally given up that addiction (as well as splenda in my coffee)...but I still get cravings for sweets. I'd love to play if/when you guys start up again.
2009-11-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: #2521429

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
enders_shadow - 2009-11-19 9:25 AM Will there be a winter challenge coming down the pike? I've been tempted before, but never able to play because I was hooked on diet Pepsi. I've finally given up that addiction (as well as splenda in my coffee)...but I still get cravings for sweets. I'd love to play if/when you guys start up again.

Well, there certainly could be.  All it needs is a host.  Different people have run each of the three so far.  I'd love to see it continue, and am happy to pass along all the cut-and-paste rights.  It's pretty easy, but feel free to PM me if you or anyone else is interested and wants some help getting started.

2009-11-22 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Just one more day to go!  Remember to post your final weight on the spreadsheet by midnight tomorrow night!
2009-11-23 8:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Well, I didn't manage to end up with much of an overall weight change, but I am definitely getting to the point, where I really don't want any of those processed foods w/lots of added sugar.  Ice cream and chocolaty desserts will still be a big challenge for me, but I feel really good about having made this more of a lifestyle change overall through this second challenge.  Thanks, everyone, for participating!  I will check the spreadsheet tonight and announce and contact the winner tomorrow.
2009-11-23 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Randomly scattered in at least 3 states

I appologize, I have neglected to update the spreadsheet.  I was kind of ashamed that I started strong and then real life stuck in and I completely fell of the bandwagon.

I'm going to update it now and then head off into Thanksgiving slumber.

Thank you for this challenge, it was truely an eye opener as to how much sugar is in items.   For the first 3 weeks, I was down 10 pounds or so, then gained most of it back.  Been kicking butt again the last two and it's coming back off nicely.  

2009-11-24 4:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Well, only two of us updated the spreadsheet.  Steven, Thanks for following up at the end!  I'm not going to declare myself the "winner" since the challenge pretty much died, and I have a feeling that there may have been some participants who stuck with it and had fewer dings than me, but didn't report back yesterday.  But between the two of us Steven, I get to hang onto the gift card.   I'm really bummed that no one "won" it, though.  : (  Anyway, I hope this challenge was a good experience even for those who went part way with it.  Hopefully, we can keep up good choices from here forth! 
Cheers, Everyone!
2009-11-30 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
I am so sorry I didn't get in here to update the spreadsheet!  I was on the Mainland (in WA) with family for turkey day so I didn't get on the computer hardly at all.  Anyway, I really think my sugar addiction is now under control and I know I can splurge without it turning into a week long event!  Thanks so much Karla for hosting this!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009 Rss Feed  

of 11