Derby Recreation Center
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 18s
Overall Rank = 23/57
Age Group = 50-51
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 am. Ate a cinnamon bagel and banana. Forgot about the hard-boiled egg. Darn it! Mixed some caffe latte Perpetum with hot water and drank that on the way to the event. It was yummy! Got there in time to get an AWESOME spot in transition. Racked my bike right by the swim exit and the entrance to the run....and on the end. Perfect. Drank some Heed and took a couple Endurolytes. Since I had everything set up and ready to go the night before, I was very organized and felt really relaxed and not rushed.
Event warmup:

Swam about 300m in the pool which I was really glad I got to do. And ran a very very short distance. Legs felt like lead.
Swim
  • 09m 38s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

First time to do a pool swim. Did not go all out on this but wanted to make sure I didn't get going out too fast and get short of breath. I did pass two people which was great! I did draft quite a bit off the last guy I passed.
What would you do differently?:

I would have practiced going under the lane markers more as I would have shaved off a lot of time there. I also seem to struggle to breath only when I'm in a race...never in practice. Really want to work on that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Because I put socks on I add about 20 to 30 seconds to my transition time. I spose I could get rid of the socks, but at least for now I am satisfied to wear them even though it takes some time. Really felt smooth and no hitches. Had everything laid out exactly right!

Learn to take my endurolytes on the bike and not in transition. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing really.
Bike
  • 47m 49s
  • 14.84 miles
  • 18.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I was smokin' on this bike ride! There were only a few guys that passed me at all. I passed quite a few people. I definitely didn't leave anything out on the course on the bike. I spent it all! I was pleased with my ability on the few inclines and I surprised myself at the speed that I rode.

Absolutely nothing. Well, learn to do more eating on the bike rather than in transition
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Was a little disoriented when I came into transition and took too long to find my bike spot. Don't know why that was. But, once I got my bike racked I was out of there fast.

Do a better job of making sure I paid attention to where my bike is!!
Run
  • 36m 8s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, all I can say is that this run sucked. I really need to work on my running. I apparently got a small rock in my shoe when I was changing from my bike shoes and ended up getting a blister by the last mile of the run which was killing me. But, I was just awfully slow.

Run a lot more and get to be a better runner. That's all there is to it.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a little stretching. Got a massage....AAAHHH!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running hurt me. If I can get my swim breathing calmed down, too, I think I can do some incredible stuff in these triathlons. But the running is my biggest downfall. I am just too stinking slow and really need to just run more so I can go the distance.

Event comments:

I was EXTREMELY impressed with the organization and implementation of this race. Emily McVay did an incredible job of directing this race. I can't think of a single thing that I would have changed. There were volunteers all over the place. There was no way to get off course. There was plenty of help. There were no lines of waiting. Everything ran smoothly and efficiently. After the race there were massages to get and tons of food and drink. The awards ceremony and giveaways were really fun, too. The finish line was a particularly great spot at this race. It was set up so that people could actually watch people come in and cheer and the great big Finish setup was pretty cool, too. I will do this race again next year!

Last updated: 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:38 | 437 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 29/57
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Serpentine Pool Swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:49 | 14.84 miles | 18.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 14/57
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty flat course which was awesome! There were a couple of hills but they were really just gradual inclines more than real hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:08 | 03.1 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 47/57
Performance: Below average
Course: Very flat course that should have been easy and fast!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes