Max Performance
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 48s
Overall Rank = 437/451
Age Group = Newbie
Age Group Rank = 56/60
Pre-race routine:

Worked on Saturday to prevent the digestive issues I've had before. Ate no veggies, fiber, corn or milk products. Ate only rice and protein. Picked up packet Saturday with Emily and tried the swim. Frankly, I was terrified. Got no sleep Saturday night, woke up at three, made coffee and did work email. Prayed alot and started loading the car. Woke up Emily. Libby wanted to come, Shasha not, so we left them home. Racked my bike and wondered why no one else was getting warmed up in the water. Transition area set. No back-up plan for flat tire, but I was not thinking that far ahead.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit and swam out to the deep and back a few times. Lots of folks out there by that point. Was seriously considering dropping out. While we got lined up by our swim caps, it started to get hot and those of us in wetsuits started to bake. I made the decision that I would get in the water with the red caps and go as far as I could. What could happen? If they pull me out, so be it. Emily's words came back to me, "you're not going to quit, are you"? Started talking to the newbies and realized I was not alone. We're going in...
Swim
  • 29m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 03m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was very reassuring to see the kayaks. I thought to myself, "hey guys, come a little closer, would ya"? I just needed to get to the first blue bouy and I would be OK. Once there, it was the point of no return (kind of like zip line in Pananma). I started very slowly, and was quickly lapped by the female newbies and 45+. I was mentally prepared for the carnage and held my own. Got to the second bouy and decided to stop and hang on. Kayak says, "you OK"? Yes I am. Swam the distance to the farthest bouy and was managing my breathing and stroke well.. Stopped a few times to rest (wetsuit is my friend). At the far bouy, stopped and hung on a minute. I can do this thing. Kayak is following me. Rounded the bouy to the home stretch and now we're racing into the sun. I am swimming stronger and starting to kick a little. Halfway down the home stretch it occurs to me that I will finish the swim.

Then it occurs to me that I have no plan for after the swim. Hadn't given it any thought. I started to laugh to myself and thought about Emily who was likely out on the bike.

I see the double orange bouys signaling the last turn and start to get real emotional and start welling up. There's a newbie next to me, first tri, no wetsuit and he's going to make it too. I encourage him and am really starting to try hard not to break down since that would screw up my breathing. Round the orange balls and sprint to the shore. Taking off my wetsuit, eyes leaking, walking through the arch. I will never forget that moment.
What would you do differently?:

Do more OWS prior to race.
Transition 1
  • 04m 42s
Comments:

Bike transition very narrow. Not a lot of vocal direction from the volunteers, but I'm late to the party and I'm sure they're tired.

Maybe think about what might happen if I survive the swim?
Bike
  • 45m 17s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 16.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Drank while riding the bike for the first time since brain surgery. My balance has really improved. Encouraged the folks I passed, some of whom passed my later on the run and were really nice to me. Very scenic course. Residents provided encouragement.

I'm OK with my bike. Press harder next time, it didn't hurt the whole way.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Saw Marianne (mav) at the bike in and really got a boost. Legs felt really heavy and I had a hard time running with the bike. Bike fell over in the rack while putting my shoes on. Really hadn't given any thought to what I'd do if I finished the swim and bike.

Need to think about transition.
Run
  • 57m 37s
  • 4.4 miles
  • 13m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started slow, picked up the pace in mile 2, but had to walk some. Drank the Gatorade and felt better, breathing better in mile 3. Ran faster in mile 4+ and came in strong. Emily and Marianne were at the finish. I must have been really slow mile 1 and 2, I was running pretty hard mile 3 and 4+ and still averaged 13min/mi.

Not sure, I'm pretty new to running.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, banana and half bagel with cream cheese.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age and time available to train. I'm very cool with how I did.

Event comments:

I've sherped and volunteered at lots of races and run a few, this was the best organized and executed race I've seen in a while. A real pleasure. Tim Richmond is a gem.

Last updated: 2009-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:25 | 880 yards | 03m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/60
Overall: 0/451
Performance: Average
Suit: Kathy's Pro Motion, now mine ;)
Course: I've done this distance before, but it looked huge. Out to blue bouy and then a rectangular course back to start.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:42
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:17 | 12.3 miles | 16.30 mile/hr
Overall: 368/451
Performance: Average
Pretty fast bike for me. Flat mostly, only had to gear way down once or twice. Only got passed by one guy, but who's behind me? Passed a few on the way.
Wind: None
Course: Flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:37 | 04.4 miles | 13m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 437/451
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat, some little hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-16 6:37 PM

User image

Subject: Sharon's Back Triathlon

2009-08-16 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2351920

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Sharon's Back Triathlon
Awesome job Kevin!!!

So very proud of you. First ows tri is hard for all of us that come to swimming later in life.

Sorry I couldn't be there in person to sherpa for you..next time.

Congrats triathlete!
2009-08-16 10:11 PM

Uxbridge
Yeah Kevin..you looked so strong coming off the bike and into the run. You would have thought you had been doing this forever!!!! WTG toady. Great job!
2009-08-17 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

WOOHOO AWESOME JOB KEVIN!!! I'mso proud of you making it thru the swim!!!  Too funny you hadn't planned what to do if you made it thru the swim   I'm so happy for you   Congratulations

2009-08-17 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
AWesome, AWESOME job out there yesterday KEV!! I was thinking of you while I was running and hoped you were having a good day.

The good news is...it does get easier swimming from here. Pretty soon you will look back and laugh about how nervous you were pre - race.

GREAT JOB!!
2009-08-17 8:02 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Strong work Kevin!! Triathlon is all about surprising yourself- with how your mind can talk your body into almost anything, how nice it is to finish and how to write a RR that makes people tear up!  Congratulations on overcoming your fear of the OWS and riding and running a strong race (not to mention handling the water bottle on the bike, one of my bugaboos too)!
You are an inspiration to us all and a great reminder of we we choose to continue in this sport.

2009-08-17 9:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Good job - I liked your description of the swim leg.  I know I have gotten a bit freaked out when I see the swim buoys WAY out there.  It always looks and feels long.
2009-08-17 10:31 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Great work Kevin!  Thatr first OWS race is always nerve wracking!  Too funny that you had no plan past the swim though

2009-08-17 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Congrats Kevin on a great race!  Most of the time I found when you get to the 1/2 way point (in any event, race or training), things gets easier. 
I like to mentally rehearse what to do next toward the end of the swim.  It helps. 
2009-08-17 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Great job on the race and fun race report!!!  Those open water swims do get easier but for me there is still a point in every OWS where the realization hits me that I am going to finish it.  And that realization ALWAYS makes me tear up.
2009-08-17 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina

never forget 'walking thru the arch'     one of my favorite lines!!  I sssssoooo relate.

very cool man!

2009-08-17 2:16 PM

User image

Great job I knew you would get through the swim. Congrats you've worked hard.
2009-08-17 7:55 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome job Kevin! I got a little emotional reading about your swim! Way to go!! Even without a "plan" for each of the next legs, you still knocked them out in style! Those years of sherpa work have paid off in that you KNOW what to do, you just have to will the body to do it, and you sure did! AWESOME!
2009-08-18 11:25 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Great job Kevin!! Congrats on your finish. What a great race report. My husband is considering his first triathlon and I might just have to have him read this. You did an amazing job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sharon's Back Triathlon Rss Feed