General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I take my bike in for a check by the LBS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-17 10:03 AM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Should I take my bike in for a check by the LBS?
I raced on Saturday in Long Branch, NJ on a course that has some pretty gnarly pavement. At one point during the bike, I was taking a sweeping turn while on my base bar and drilled a pothole. I immediately felt the front end drop by what felt like 2 or 3". I pulled over, check the bike, and couldn't see any damage. Wheels are true & not harmed (I hope), tires not flat, nothing missing. BUT my base & aero bars rotated about 20 degrees down from horizontal while in the stem. No creaking or cracking, and after my amateur once over everything seems to be okay.

I've never had this happen before. I looked the bike over again today and can't find any problems. That being said, should I still bring it in to the shop for a professional once-over?

2009-08-17 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2352915

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
Subject: RE: Should I take my bike in for a check by the LBS?
I think that this is one of those areas where it really just depends. 

If it will give you confidence in your bike to have it looked at then do it.

If you  have not had a tune up this year, do it

If you are questioning the integrity of your bike, then do it.

If you have some basic bike knowledge and you gave it a good looking over and all is well AND the bike is handeling ok, they you are ok.  
2009-08-17 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2352915

User image

Subject: RE: Should I take my bike in for a check by the LBS?
I thought I was having Deja Vu. I had just read this question on another board

I'd take it to them if for no other reason than they've probably seen kathump issues before and know what to look for. Another set of eyes or three never hurts to look for hairline cracks either.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I take my bike in for a check by the LBS? Rss Feed