General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim in Long Beach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-17 12:24 PM

User image

Subject: Open Water Swim in Long Beach?
Hi,

I've heard that Long Beach is a good location to do an open water swim, but where exactly?

Long Beach is a pretty big city with a lot of coastline.  Can someone recommend a spot, preferably a spot where there's a breakwater?

Thanks in Advance

2009-08-17 1:24 PM
in reply to: #2353397

User image

Subject: RE: Open Water Swim in Long Beach?
54th and Ocean, near Naples, there's a roped off area, I am told it is a 1/4 mile section.   It's not really "open water" other than it's cool ocean water.  You won't get surf experience (if you are looking for that).  Also need to monitor water quality

Edited by ChrisM 2009-08-17 1:25 PM
2009-08-17 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2353633

Might be the same place the person above posted. But Bayshore Bay, which is Ocean/Bayshore Ave has an area that's roped off. Its in a bay, so no waves. But I do enjoy it. The mentioning of monitoring water quality makes me nervous now since I did contract a bad cold 2 days after I swam there the first time. Never got sick the other times I've gone though. So I duno.
2009-08-17 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2353397

User image

Ventura, CA
Yes, the are at 2nd and bayshore that is roped off is about a 0.5 mile out and back swim (from the bridge to the little pier and back). There's an outdoor shower and toilets. The water quality is not that bad, but I prefer to swim there at high tide. There have been instances last summer where they were working at the sewers on the other side of the island and, well, let's not go in too much detail.... You can check the water at healthebay's website I believe, they post warnings if the quality is too bad.
There is also the ocean which is protected by the breakwater in Long Beach. The nicest area I think would be swimming Belmont Pier and North of that (the further you head into the Queensway Bay, the murkier the water gets...and you'll taste the oil from the harbor, not nice). You can park at the Belmont Pool, there are a few spots that don't require parking meter contributions between the Pier and the Breakfast place on 'East Olympic Plaza'. It's about 2miles from the Pier to the Jetty.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swim in Long Beach? Rss Feed