CGI Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 22s
Overall Rank = 212/350
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 32/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:15am and got some food in me. Packed the rest of the car and headed up North towards the race site. Very little traffic until you got near the parking areas. Unpacked the car with bike and bag in hand and headed towards transition.
Event warmup:

I had Race day packet pick up so I made my way there to get everything set up. I set up my transition and saw a few familiar faces. Walked around for a bit to see the swim exit with my buddy Bert. He did a small warm up swim while I watched. Hung out with some BT friends and got pictures before heading out for the swim start.
Swim
  • 30m 5s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I tried to stay towards the outside and not get caught up in all of the rush with being close to the bouys. I hung inbetween these two guys for the first half of the race but their naviations was all over the place. Kept crossing my path which threw me off completely. I had to stop and make my way around them (a little frustrating).

Made the turn and heading towards home. I noticed a different color cap surrounding me though. It was the group that started after us. Ugh! Man I'm slow in this water! I tried to tag along to a little train line and got blown away in the water by that group. Got out of the water and just took my time going through T1. Tried to catch my breath and talked to a guy who had a broken foot so he wasn't running through T1 at all.
What would you do differently?:

Sight a little better and get used to being kicked and with the crowd.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Much better getting my shoes on and getting my composure for a 40k ride. First time wearing tri shorts for the race so I was sure my butt would be sore.

Run through T1 and RELAX! But considering this race was "for fun" with my limited training for this.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 20s
  • 23.2 miles
  • 18.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out to a decent pace and passed a few people. Felt good and had a good pace for the first half of the ride (similar to Fridays ride). Then my lower back started to tighten up and sucked the wind out of my and any umph in my legs. Then the fast guys came from the 30-35 year old group. Man they can sure fly. Ended up getting passed by probably 12-20 people. Sorta lost count to be honest. Got near the end and started to hammer it.

I unstrapped my shoes and while jumping off the bike I lost my left shoe. Good thing Kim (Steves gf) picked it up for me. I ran into T2 and tried to really pick up the pace here from the last race.

Goal for this fall and early winter is to get stronger on the bike. Climb climb climb. No questions asked. I really hope to crush Columbia and lead myself into a strong Eagleman showing on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Took my time to put my shoes on still didn't have the yanks! Saw my buddy Bert who wasn't too far behind me. He killed the bike. Put everything together and tried to focus for a good run.

Yanks, and faster transition. GET RUNNING MAN!
Run
  • 1h 07m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

HORRIBLE! I started out with too much fluid in my stomach. Got to mile #1 and had issues. Walked for a bit until it felt okay to run again. Started running and then ... guess what... my cramps in my quads rise again. Honestly WTF! I thought this issue was gone.

I get to the first aid station around mile 2.25ish and take in some water and some of the wet ice cold rags. Felt great. I started pacing with this other guy who seemed to be doing the same sorta aid station walk processes.

Hitting the turn around I tried to muster up some energy and keep going. Seeing the BT kids every now and then made it better for about 30-45 seconds and then back to the suffering.

Around this time I was about 3.5 miles into the run and the heat finally hit me. I met this guy Adrian and tried to keep pace with him for the rest of the run. I lagged on the last aid station and told him to go ahead. Christy came blazing by and I tried to keep pace with her for about 2 mins (could stay).

Started to feel light headed, and felt very very hot. I got to the last turn to the finish (maybe 300 yards) and tried to muster up a decent kick. Came around to the last final stretch and came across the first timing mat (the one they can be able to call your name). I stopped I felt like I was going to hurl if I went any further.

The announcer goes "Your almost there the finish is up here." I quickly muster some yell back. " I know I'm ... going to puke.. blow chunks" I honestly have no idea at this point.

I cross the finish line and lay in the shade for about 10 mins and start to gain my composure back. I was pretty out of it to say the least.

Well run more.. and run in heat more. I have figured out that running is my weakest event there is. I need to run more from now until Eagleman (even though its a ways away). Re-focus... re-focus
Post race
Warm down:

Got as much water as I could in me to calm me down and hung out with some BT kids while getting food

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat?! and Running condition. If I did my usual 10k pace I would have been around a 2:50ish which would be mush more respectable. Oh well

Event comments:

Good race, very well organized and neat little town to ride around. Hot Hot hot! Water being 85 degrees and the outside temps near 90 makes it a little hard to race. I guess I have to get used to this for Eagleman then.

Last updated: 2009-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:05 | 1500 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 172/350
Performance: Good
Suit: tri suit and short
Course: Out around and back with bouys on your left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:20 | 23.2 miles | 18.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/38
Overall: 149/350
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with a few hills to actually sit back and clumb
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:07:01 | 06.21 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/38
Overall: 273/350
Performance: Bad
Course: Semi hilly, out and back course with a decent size hill going to the turn around.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 2:34 PM

Pro
yep,
Subject: North East Triathlon

2009-08-18 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2353835

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: North East Triathlon
Some days your the windshield, some days the bug   Way to tough it out even when it hurt and WTF-worthy things started happening.  Since it was a "fun race" then I say no room for what ifs or regrets.  Nice job - you achieved your goal!
2009-08-18 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD

Nice job CJ!  Strong swim and bike. It sure was hot out there and I think a lot of people were suffering on the run.  Maybe your urge to yack at the end was from the lingering smell of that nasty a$$ deer on the side of the road?!?  Blech.

2009-08-18 8:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Good job out there, it sure wasn't an easy one!

PS: What deer? What smell?  Ehehe never saw or smelled it.  Must have been focusing on the pain and suffering!
2009-08-18 8:49 AM

Nice job. Sorry about the blow-up on the run. It was really hot this weekend (I'm assuming it was just as hot up here as it was down in Luray - and it was HOT in the valley). A rough weekend to be racing, since we haven't had much brutally hot weather this year. Great swim, btw!

2009-08-18 11:19 AM
in reply to: #2355213

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Hot plus hot water to swim = draining.  Then add in the openness of the road to the sun and you guys were probably cookin'!  It was hot last year, but I don't think it was as bad as you guys got it.

Well done overall and way to push through the yuck zones.

2009-08-18 11:26 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Nice job out there.

UGH! I hate other swimmers messing with my sighting and straight line. I can be so annoying.

I always lose count on who passes me on the bike. HA!

That run sounds brutal! You have been doing heat training it seems, but it can get to you quickly. I know!

2009-08-18 1:03 PM

New user

There was a dead deer probably around mile 3 with like, 20 vultures around it. The smell wasnt bad going out but coming back in once the sun hit it, it was just terrible. I might have been your aid station friend, I had a bit of a bike problem that ended up giving me back spasms, with that heat on top it got brutal.
2009-08-19 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Good job CJ. It was definitely cookin' out there. What are we thinking by racing in the middle of August to begin with?
2009-08-20 12:01 PM

User image

Master
PA
Way to tough it out and finish in challenging conditions, CJ!  

I love that you had to clarify to the announcer what puking was....   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North East Triathlon Rss Feed