TG Multisport Club
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 35s
Overall Rank = 57/187
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, ate a light breakfast and drove to race site to set up and scope out transition area.
Event warmup:

A few warmup running laps and a quick spin on the bike.
Swim
  • 23m 51s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Holy, do I suck in the water! First 100 M was ok (by my standards at least) then downhill from there. Definitely taking lessons during the winter to try and improve my swim times (probably need a lifeguard more than a coach).
What would you do differently?:

Swim! The things I do in the water cannot be construed as swimming by any stretch of the imagination.
Transition 1
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Was pretty happy with my T1 time. Had a bad experience putting on my jersey last race so opened up the wallet and purchased a one piece tri suit which made all the difference. First time not bothering to put on gloves or socks (not really necessary for a sprint distance race anyway).

Practice transitions more and learn to have shoes on bike instead of putting them on in transition.
Bike
  • 33m 54s
  • 18 kms
  • 31.86 km/hr
Comments:

Nice bike course. Passed a lot of people all along the way to finishing. Would have been nice to come out of the pool with the more experienced bikers to race against but...damned swim time! Well marked course with very little traffic and lots of volunteers. I thought the warning bell at the turnaround was a nice touch. This course had a bit of everything, a hill, some corners and a nice little stretch to get up to speed. Enjoyed it except the part where I threw up (hey, I kept on riding) didn't really have time to check if anyone was close behind me, hope not.

Definitely have to learn how to go into and come out of the corners, especially at the turnarounds. Have only had a road bike for 4 months and still getting used to cornering etc. Have a habit of going into corners way too fast and either locking up one or two wheels before trying to get back up to speed coming out. Even missed the timing mat at the second turnaround because of excess speed going into the turn, had to loop again to cross it :-(
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Took longer in T2 than T1, go figure! Had trouble finding my spot and then racked my bike using the seat instead of the handlebar, why? I have no idea. That threw off my whole rhythm and hence the bad time.

Ensure to be aware of bike spot before starting race. I have heard of this happening to people before and was my first experience with it, very frustrating, a real time waster. Anyone know if there's an IPhone App for this problem?
Run
  • 22m 15s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 27s  min/km
Comments:

Was happy with my run time. Stuck to plan of starting slow. Could have ran faster in the middle of the course and really picked it up during the latter stage and sprinted to the finish line with lots of gas in the tank. Not bad for not really spending much time training for the run section. Trying to run a sub 40 min 10K race in a couple months so I'll have to ramp up the training for sure.

Still trying to find a routine for doing a faster 5K run as far as pacing goes. Usually start too strong and bonk or not fast enough and have lots left over at the end. Sounds like more training to work things out.
I usually run at night so doing a race in the morning when the weather is warmer takes its toll.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran to truck to change and watch my buddy Matt finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

SWIMMING!
Need to spend more time getting familiar with the bike and focus on pacing my runs better.

Event comments:

I would definitely do this race again. Maybe I'll be back next year to see how much my swim time has improved, if any!

Last updated: 2009-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:51 | 750 meters | 03m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 175/187
Performance: Bad
Suit: one piece tri suit
Course: 15 lengths of a 50M indoor pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:54 | 18 kms | 31.86 km/hr
Overall: 23/187
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice 2 loop course on residential streets and rural road. Fairly tight corners at turnaround points.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:15 | 05 kms | 04m 27s  min/km
Overall: 30/187
Performance: Average
Course: 5 KM run on a combination of paved trail and residential streets. Some rough spots on the trail section from tree roots etc. Could have been a little better marked through the trail section. Lots of volunteers and one watering station which was adequate.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 7:38 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: Walnut Grove Triathlon

2009-08-18 1:22 AM
in reply to: #2354462

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Walnut Grove Triathlon
Wow! 2nd in the AG, and a heck of a showing overall! Not bad for an old guy that swims like a bowling ball! Kidding, the swim always sucks, especially in a pool filled with others that can't swim! Your bike and run are incredible! Well done and we'll see you around!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walnut Grove Triathlon Rss Feed