3/4 of a clif builder bar and coffee
Event warmup:

nada
Swim
  • 10h 18m 9s
  • 500 yards
  • 2h 03m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

i swear this has to be 500 meters or so. i swim 500 yards in 8:30 in a pool at a comfortable pace. the fact that i went all out on this and finished SLOWER than last year AND its over 10 minutes, i'm having a hard time w that. maybe remnants of vineman fatigue still lingering?

my goal for the swim was to rock it and push myself. i was right up front on the right, ran super fast into the water and just went all out. i was jostling (fighting?) with 2 or 3 other women for the lead. i didn't feel like i had to be first but i was gonna push and race this one. we rounded the first buoy and the fastest woman took off a bit further on. next woman was getting faster and i just watched those 2 yellow caps in front of me and made sure that no one else passed. i'd be quite pleased w 3rd fastest swim in my AG. and i was!

FWIW i checked the 40-49 AG swim times and if i do this again next year, my time this year was fastest in that AG. so i have something to look fwd to next year. ;)
What would you do differently?:

i thought i pushed it so i wouldn't do anything differently, just more of the same.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

no problems here. skipped on wearing my bike gloves cos this is such a short race so i saved a few seconds there.

probably nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 38s
  • 11 miles
  • 18.52 mile/hr
Comments:

i was hooffing it and pushing it the whole way. again that was my plan. push for the entire ride as much as possible.

nothing. i feel really good about this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

the transition area was a mess. i had to move someone's bike over so i could get mine on the rack. honestly, the couple extra seconds i had to do that was the difference between me getting under 1:19 and getting over 1:19 for my overall time. oh well.
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

of course, i started out the run w an aching IT band. my left hamstring was a bit sore and i got a side stitch. again, wanted to push it and i kept telling myself that the pain wasn't there, just keep running. i took 2 short walk breaks. slowed down a little to get the side stitch to go away. i was pushing as much as possible and at the last (empty) water station this woman said "less than half a mile to go" so i said to myself "just GO" and i did.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

maybe some remaining fatigue from vineman 2 weeks ago.

Event comments:

I signed up for this a couple days ago. Didn't know how I'd feel 2 weeks out from vineman. but it was my 3rd year doing it and boy has it grown! first year I did the race there were no medals. last year it was a generic tri medal w a sticker on the back. this year, the t shirts were technical shirts (altho far too large for me) and the medals were custom!

i wanted to better my time from last year so i planned to just push myself the entire time like i never have before. i was hoping to be one of the fastest swimmers in my AG and i was! last year my overall time was 1:23 and i wanted to get 1:20, and i did better at 1:19:03. woohoo!

the race is filled w beginners which is really nice. only drawback is that they all set up beach towels in transition taking up way way too much space. but i got into a spot by asking someone to move their stuff over. i was nice, they obliged, it was all good.

Last updated: 2009-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
10:18:09 | 500 yards | 2h 03m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/68
Overall: 120/560
Performance: Good
Suit: tri top and tri shorts
Course: square around buoys in a super warm "lake"
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:35:38 | 11 miles | 18.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 260/560
Wind: None
Course: relatively flat w a few small hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:57 | 03 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 415/560
Course: mostly "trail" which is really very sandy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 11:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Hansen Dam Triathlon

2009-08-17 11:24 PM
in reply to: #2354823

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hansen Dam Triathlon
Good job!  I'm inspired--and so you'll be kicking my butt in the 40-49 age group next year? LOL...looks like I have some serious training to do.
2009-08-18 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2354823

User image

Ventura County, California
Subject: RE: Hansen Dam Triathlon
Congrats! Great report.
I think you are right about the swim course being a tad long. I felt like my pace was closer to 9:00 and my actual time was nearly 10:00.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hansen Dam Triathlon Rss Feed