General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Stevens, Washington
United States
WTC (World Triathlon Corporation) (Ironman 70.3)
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 19m 25s
Overall Rank = 807/876
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 42/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the camp ground and ate banana bread w/ peanut butter, a mini bagel and an orange in the car. Set up my transition spot and put on my wetsuit outside of the transition area with Aaron. We wandered down to the swim area and my poor feet were freezing. Tested out the water and was thrilled to find that it was warmer there than on land!
Event warmup:

Just floated around a bit to make sure I wasn't going to panic with a cold water start (bad previous experience!). Was very happy with water.
Swim
  • 45m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was extremely nervous about the swim. None of my fears came true--water temp was perfect, I did not get nauseous, breating was fine and I got REALLY lucky with the underwater cables (didn't have to site much). The waves behind me caught up to me so there was a bit of a fight near the cables. Not used to that but I just took a moment every once in a while to find my own space and keep going. It was excellent!
What would you do differently?:

Just keep swimming to improve my time.
Transition 1
  • 05m 28s
Comments:

Ok, I'm really slow in transition. Maybe I should care more but maybe that will happen as I race more. I was really just doing this race to finish it.

Hurry up!
Bike
  • 3h 58m 41s
  • 58 miles
  • 14.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is where I am pretty much slower than everyone else! I knew ahead of time that I would average about 14 mph. Lots of people passed me, but I didn't really let it worry me as I was just doing the best I could. I dropped my chain and had to fix that. It was difficult to eat and climb hills (Hammer gels and Clif Shot Bloks). Maybe a flask next time.

Train more. Someday get a tri bike. I rode lots of hills in training but I think I need to ride more IN GENERAL to get faster.
Transition 2
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Ah, another slow transition. I just was happy to get off the bike. Soooo happy. And I had to pee. Guess I was drinking enough. I do not know how people pee on the bike.

Care more? I admit I was taking it easy.
Run
  • 2h 24m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

The first loop I felt really good. Nothing physically wrong with me. The second loop I mentally broke down (last 6 miles or so). I knew it was happening and I tried to eat more/drink more gatorade but I had to stop due to feeling too full. It was just too late at that point to recover my brain so I walked when I knew I could have been running. My brain was telling me it was time to stop when my body knew different---but there is no arguing with my brain. At least I convinced myself to run the last 2 miles in.

Pay more attention to nutrition throughout the whole race. Most of the race was great as far as energy was concerned but I knew things were going south when my brain started going wonky. I haven't raced this distance before, so live and learn!
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked out of transition and found Aaron. He was great--saw him multiple times during the race and he got great pics. Ate an oatmeal raisin cookie and was very happy to see PIZZA!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained to complete the distance, and I accomplished my goal. I am very happy about that! To get faster I would have to get leaner, do more speed-focused workouts, and actually plan and practice my nutrition plan instead of being so random about it. It worked out fine, but my run suffered because of it.

Event comments:

They did a great job. Everything I needed, I got.

Last updated: 2008-11-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:31 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/45
Overall: 741/876
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot
Course: A very narrow triangular course marked by large orange buoys. Found out the day before that there are cables underwater that the local crew uses that we could follow! Yes!
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:28
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:58:41 | 58 miles | 14.58 mile/hr
Overall: 871/876
Wind: Little
Course: There are very few flat places on this course. Up and down, up and down! None of the hills aren't too tough but it is constant. Two loops--I am not a fan of loop--it was weird because I had absolutely no sense of what direction I was going and I normally have no problem with that.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:18
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:24:29 | 13.1 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 738/876
Course: 2 loop course, plus 2 out-and-backs. A few moderate hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-17 11:51 PM

Eugene
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens

2009-08-18 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2354864

User image

Olympia, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens
Awesome job! It was a fun but tough day out there. :-)
2009-08-18 8:43 PM

User image

Regular
Monmouth, Oregon
Way to go!!! You finished ahead of about 6 billion people on the planet that didn't sign up, train, or give a crap!!! You are a champion in my book!!!
2009-08-21 11:49 AM

User image

Panama City Beach
Good job!  I'm with you.  I loved the underwater cable, and hated the hills.  Way to push through at the end.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens Rss Feed