The RUSH Triathlon
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 05m
Overall Rank = 15/103
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Setup two transitions (at different locations). My typical race breakfast of oatmeal, raisins, and brown sugar (nuked at hotel).
Event warmup:

Swam for about ten minutes. It was a great idea, as this was my first OWS Tri. For the first few minutes in the water, I was nervious and needed to settle in. I then swam 50 yard swims with rests to get comfortable.
Swim
  • 20m 30s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good during my warmup, but I was pretty rough the first half. I could maintain breath, but felt slow. At the halfway point, I started to feel strong. When I'm racing, I definitely swim asymetrically, versus my bilateral breathing during training. I don't think my left arm moves water and I stay rotated to my right. I never looked back, because I didn't think anyone was behind me. Turns uot I was 16 of 103. I still don't believe it.
What would you do differently?:

Relax. This swim stuff is all about confidence. When I think I'm good, I'm good.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I was 11 of 103, but could have been faster. I used strippers to remove my wetsuit. They weren't skilled and I should have done by myself, just to learn. I was dizzy out of the water and fell down after being stripped. I was fast to bike and into shoes (and socks, without baby powder). I ran well to the mount area, but was slow to clip in (not included in T1 time). I might have been 11 of 103, but I could have been faster!

Get Tri shoes, really. Learn to jump on and ride. Strip myselft.
Bike
  • 43m 29s
  • 12.65 miles
  • 17.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I was 10 of 103. I can't believe it. I could be faster (although I pushed hard and tried to leave nothing on the table). Still, with a better bike, helmet, and shoes, I'd be in the top five. It's not that I'm a stud, but others are wimps. I almost drank one bottle with 2 scoops of P90 recovery (and had one Gu). Some of this made me feel ill, but that feeling quickly passed.

New shoes and mounting.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

They changed the entry, and I couldn't find my gear. Liz pointed it out. I lost at least a minute. My towel was "upside down" and the wrong color. I was baffled by the new cattle route into the transition area. Lame. I was 76 of 103 men.

Buy two bright orange towels so I can find them in the transitions.
Run
  • 26m 36s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Relatively slow for me. There was an uphill run, on double-track. I ran the entire route, but my overall time was only 32 of 103 men. I'm usually faster. I think I left everything on the bike course. I'm not sure if this approach is faster or not. I felt good during the run, only passed by four people (three of them 21 yom or younger). My finish was weak, with shoulders pulled up, but I'm stoked that I finished wihtout much in reserve (versus feeling like I could have given more).

Maybe, just maybe, save a little on the last mile of the ride. Dunno.
Post race
Warm down:

No cool down. It was a sprint. I did get a massage and did an easy 15 mile ride the next day. I think both reduced DOMS.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Well, maybe more training, but I'm pleased.

Event comments:

A great, local (or regional) race. I should return.

Last updated: 2009-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:30 | 1000 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 16/103
Performance:
The organizer said .5 miles, but on their website map it was calcualted at .6. No biggy.
Suit: Zoot rental
Course: Swam 3/4 of lake, starting in the SW corner and finishing in the SE corner (clockwise).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:29 | 12.65 miles | 17.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 10/103
Performance: Good
Max 34.7, ave 19.3, 39:15 riding, distance 12.65 miles
Wind: None
Course: Beautiful. The hill climb, about 300', looked big from the car, but was cake. Not many people rode it like it was a RACE. I was passed by only one person on the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good