General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-18 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Subject: Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing
I currently ride a mountain bike and I am looking at purchasing a tri bike.  I'm not sure how to consider the gearing differences with respect to hill climbing.

As an example:  If I need to be on the second chainring (32 teeth) and largest cog (34 teeth) on my mountain bike to climb a particular hill, will I be able to climb this same hill on a tri bike with a 39 chainring with a 27 cog? 

My mountain bike weighs about 35 lbs and has nobby tires.  A tri bike would be considerably more aerodynamic, weigh less and have road tires.  Would these advantages make up for the apparently higher lowest gear?

I would  love to hear from others who went from a mountain bike to a tri bike.

2009-08-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2355991

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing
Use this to figure out and compare the range of gear ratios on each set-up.

Weight isn't much of a factor in most triathlons, aerodynamics and rolling resistance are, especially if you're riding knobbies. You'd see a big gain just if you switched to slicks for the road.
2009-08-18 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2355991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA
Subject: RE: Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing

I went from a mountain bike to a tri bike.  I skipped the road bike completly and using the same if not less effort, I manage 3 mph faster on training rides per my GPS.  I ride an old tri bike with an 8 speed double with big rings and other then long steep hills it works fine and does great on the flats.  Gearing on the tri bike is: Chain rings 44/55 and rear is 12-21.  I am kicking around changing the gearing to do better on hills but most tri's are fairly flat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike Gearing vs. Mountain Bike Gearing Rss Feed