Maple Plain, Minnesota
United States
YWCA
Total Time = 1h 30m 38s
Overall Rank = 19/466
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/55
Pre-race routine:

Woke up super early. Ate a bagel and cream cheese and had a cup of coffee. Husband was out of town so had to walk two dogs. It started to pour right after I walked the dogs and there was lightning for my whole drive out to the park. Was starting to think about how great it would be if there was no swim :)
Event warmup:

Rain stopped, lightning stopped: we were gonna be able to do a triathlon! Got into my wet suit (yay! the water temp was 77.9 so we could wear the wet suits!) and got in the water for a minute just to feel the temp but didn't really swim.
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Fairly good swim for me. The course was a wee bit long. I started in the second row close to the inside. I had to jostle for my position during the first side of the rectangle course. Once we hit the first turn buoy it cleared out. I was able to draft for a decent amount of the time. I tried to really push it after the final turn for the last 150 yards to shore.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

This went as smoothly as possible. It was a long long run from the beach into the TA!
Bike
  • 49m 27s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Fairly good bike. Time looks crazy slow but so were everyone's. The beginning and end of the course had all these sharp turns onto and off of bike paths. I was in wave 1 to start the swim. I passed a bunch of women in my AG on the bike. I got passed by one woman who started in the wave after me on the swim. She was riding a tri bike. I tried to keep her in my sight for awhile and was using her as a rabbit. We went around Holy Name Lake and into a head wind and I started to lose her. Kinda wish I had a little more in my legs and I had kept up with her. Oh well. It was a hilly course. I did a good job of hammering the down hills and pushing the uphills just enough to keep up a good cadence but not trash my legs. When I climb now I think of Cantador dancing up the mountains in the tour and it makes it easier. Weird, I know :)
What would you do differently?:

Since my last tri in July my bike volume has been down. I'm sure it affected my ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 19s
Comments:

Ha, so for this race I decided to go sockless. I slip my left foot into my shoe and it feels weird, not like there is a stone in there, but weird. So I decide to take the time to take my shoe off and see what is the matter. Take the shoe off, shake it and out comes a nickel! Stupid nickel, how'd that get in my running shoe??? Glad I got it out before the run though, that'd have been annoying!
Run
  • 25m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Whew, this was hard mentally. So I'm in the first wave and had a good bike split. When I get back from the bike there are 5 bikes in the transition area. It was cool to see such an empty transition area but once I got out on the run it was just as EMPTY as the TA. There were two women that were quite far ahead of me that I could only see when the path wasn't curving. Then there was no one behind me. It was hard to stay focused and it was hard to push it. Once I got to the turn around there were a women coming the other way and then once I was about 1 mile from the finish there were TONS of women coming the other way. I started cheering for them (it cheered me up to cheer for them!). I gave some of them high fives and I called out most of their names since our first names were on our numbers. The last 3/4 of a mile was all down hill so I cruised in and finished strong :)
Post race
Warm down:

Talk to a few people that I knew. Cheered for Emily and then the two of us got the box lunches and tried to stay in the sunshine to keep warm. We weren't allowed back into the TA until the last biker got back. I was definitely chilly!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I trained hard for my tri back in June, continued training fair consistently for a race in July. Since the race in July my training has been down. I don't think I've gotten slower but definitely haven't improved in fitness. Happy with my overall race. 4th in AG is pretty darn good. Top three in my AG got 1,2,3 over all in the race. Maybe I'll get myself in that mix next year :)

Event comments:

The race was well organized and it was super fun to do a race of all women! The only negatives where the long lines to get your timing chip and body marking done. I think this was more due to the fact that there were tons of beginners and not everyone knew exactly where to go or what to do so they moved slowly through the marking and chip pick up. Not a big deal. I'll be back to do this race again.

Last updated: 2009-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 500 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/55
Overall: 61/466
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Rectangle.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:27 | 15 miles | 18.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/55
Overall: 19/466
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills through Medina, Independence, around Holy Name lake.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:02 | 03.11 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/55
Overall: 28/466
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along a bike path in the park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-18 1:04 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: YWCA Women's Triathlon

2009-08-18 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2356006

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: YWCA Women's Triathlon

Great job - I have no doubt you'll break through to the podium next year.  I noticed one of the top 3 girls was riding a road bike (the pictures are up), so there is hope for you yet

2009-08-18 1:33 PM

User image

Elite

Great job.  Very nice showing in AG and overall.

2009-08-22 1:05 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Way to go!  You are just a natural AND you work at it...that's all there is to it...and it's great to see you in this sort of form after all your work rehabbing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » YWCA Women's Triathlon Rss Feed