General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » MightyMan Montauk : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2009-08-18 4:00 PM

User image

Subject: MightyMan Montauk : Official Thread

Okay people, we've got less than 7 weeks till the longest Triathlon race on Long Island commences.

Who's Racing?

What are your Race Day Goals?

Please post any questions you may have that others who have raced before can answer.

Please post any advice that you feel is specific to this Race and could help another triathlete.

LET'S ROCK it at Montauk this Year BT!!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-08-18 4:02 PM

2009-08-18 4:48 PM
in reply to: #2356604

User image

Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk : Official Thread

All-righty... I'll start

This is my second time racing Montauk.  My goal is my first Sub 5 HIM.  But to be honest, if I PR and go sub 5:15 I'll be satisfied. 

I think there are a few keys to this race.  Here are what I believe they are for each discipline: 

Swim Keys:  The swim conditions are beyond ideal.  I've seen bigger waves in my bath tub.  I think a real key to this swim (like many OPWS) is to sight well and draft well.  If you can draft off someone who is sighting well, that would be ideal.  Because the water is so calm and still you can really benefit from a draft and save a ton of energy.  I've always been terrible at drafting, hopefully I'll make it happen this year. 

Bike Keys:  There are only two, maybe three "challenging" climbs on this course.  And even the challenging climbs are just big rollers.  If you can stay Aero 90% of the time, not over exert on the climbs, and push on the flats when you have a tailwind, you can have a fantastic bike split.  This is a pretty fast bike course and it's very scenic. 

One trick I read about and have tried succesfully (and one that works beautifully with Montauk) is everytime you crest a decent hill, look to the side and allow your eyes to absorb and take-in the scenery.  Amazingly this will help you Recover better.  An article I read scientifically explained that when you reach the top of a climb the body is taxed and winded.  But looking to the side and taking in an expansive scenerey, you are forcing the brain to capture and analyze a vast amount of visual information and it basically acts as a "reset button" which will force your heartrate to quickly lower and your breathing to regulate.  I've tried this technique a few times (including the James St. climb at Cow Harbor) and it works.  Just be mindful to not look to the side too long and be aware of bikers in front of you!

Run Keys: I do not believe this run to be as difficult as many seem to make it out to be.  Compared to the James St. climb in Northport, Cow Harbor 10k ; compared to the climb on Walnut St. in Kings Park, Kings Park 15k ;  Murder Hill pales in comparison to many hills in many near-by local races.  It doesn't even hold a candle to Angel St MONSTER Hill at the HIM in Rhode Island.  So yes, Murder Hill is a formidable climb that is to be respected -- and we should all be running hills right now in training! -- but Murder Hill it is by no means as tough as it's made out to be.  Simply shorten your stride, lean slightly forward, and keep a constant sustainable cadence and before you know it you will be up and over Murder Hill.  And the beauty of running it twice is you get to run it twice, and running it the second time you have the confidence from running it just a few miles earlier, knowing that it wasn't so bad afterall. 

Nutrition Keys:  Montauk is a magical place with crazy weather!  Because it's at the tip of Long Island the weather conditions mimic tropical conditions -- meaning the forecast will be wrong and the temperature/ weather can change on a dime.  Often we practice our nutrition in training, but then come Race Day the weather conditions are completely different then what we are used to and if we don't adapt, disaster can ensue.  This is what happened to me last year.  All summer and September I trained in 70 and 80 degree weather.  Come Race Day, which was supposed to be 75 and sunny according to the weather reports, it ended up being 60 degrees and rainy.  I didn't change my nutrition appropriatley and still fueled as if it was a hot sunny 80 degree.  So my suggestion would be to be mindful that the weather conditions at Montauk can change and adjust to what you feel best suits your personal nutrition needs.

BEST OF LUCK EVERYONE!  Let's Represent BT!

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-08-18 4:52 PM
2009-08-18 6:30 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

I'm in. 

My goal is 5:45, though now it is a long shot.  Sub 6 is doable.  Really, I just don't want to fake it like I did last year.

2009-08-18 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
I am in, it will be my first Half Iron. As with me and all my races i have set some lofty goals, probably unobtainable, but i have trained hard all year even before i had decided to do a Half, and i am hoping it will be the icing on top of a successful first year of Triathlons. 

I will be racing Clydesdale

my goals are as follows

Swim:  30 min +/- 2 min
Bike: 2:45 +/- 5 mins
Run:  2:15 +/- 5 mins

so i guess that puts me in the 5:30-5:40 range with transitions.  The running will be the make or break for time, as is with most of us. I seem to run 10 min miles, whether it is a 4 mile, 10k or my 8 milers that i sometimes run. I have not put forth the effort on the run that i have in the bike/swim portions, so it is the X-factor.

Ideally i would love to be Sub 6 all things considered, but my main goal is 5:30 and that is what i am shooting for. Hey you never know, the run of my life could always happen, or things we don't want to think about.

A few of my friends who just got into Tri's are doing the Sprint on Saturday, so we will have a good cheering section on Sunday. Hopefully we can all meet up or something!!

2009-08-19 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
I will be doing Montauk as well. No time goals for me as i am using this as a good training day for IMFL 1 month later.

I did this race too years ago and did 6:40 (The run killed me) as i had to basically walk the last 6.2.

Well I guess my time goal is to beat my 6:40 time which I should be able to do.
Doing this race to gauge my fitness gains from 2 years ago.

Swim course was fine, I loved that bike course..nicely paved and mostly flat with a few rollers. The run on the other hand was hilly and I like an idiot tried a new pair of racers that I had done 1 one hour run in and after 6 miles...my feet where killing me and blistered. (Rookie mistake).

Good luck to all...see you in about 6 weeks.
2009-08-19 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
I'm in for the half - this will be my first I don't want to set a time goal I just want to finish . I did the sprint last year and had a blast.  Dream Chaser thank you very much for all the information  you posted esp. info about "murder hill" Good luck to everyone 

2009-08-21 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
 I'm in as well.
2009-08-24 11:19 AM

User image

I'm in too!  (Although it's for the Sprint - I'm still working towards a HIM)

..this will be my second MM sprint, last year was a great time! ..hoping to beat my times!

BTW: Dream Chaser gave some great info..  the James St. climb (Northport's Cow Harbor 10k) is a killer!  (but I do look forward to killing this hill every year)  :-)

Best of luck!

Edited by javaMonk 2009-08-24 11:23 AM
2009-08-24 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT
Im in too!
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel!

Edited by Crank-snapper 2009-08-24 6:15 PM
2009-08-24 8:37 PM

User image

Greenwhich
Rock on Dream Chaser!!! This will be my first HIM (4th Tri ever) and so my goal is to merely finish. I'm scared to death about the swim and so I'll be taking my time in the water, I'm strong on the bike but need to remind myself to keep the legs fresh for the run, which I struggle with, and for the run I hope to walk no more than a few minutes every 3-4 miles. I'll be up there Thursday through Monday. Let me know if any of you would like to swim the course with me on Thursday or Friday. Nate -
2009-08-27 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
I'll be in on Friday. I wouldnt mind swimming the course as well. Let me know..........Steve

2009-08-31 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2367796

Expert
Miller Place, Long Island
Crank-snapper - 2009-08-24 7:09 PM Im in too!
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good hotel!

Bobby, help this guy out... where did you stay last year?

I stayed at the Harborside... great price but you'd have to drive or ride to the race it's about 1.5 miles away.

As for me, this will be my third consecutive year at this race (4th if you count 2006 when I volunteered)... looking to break 6 hours. 

Edited by mscotthall 2009-08-31 4:45 PM
2009-08-31 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

I stayed at Sole East last year.  Walking distance to transition (maybe 600 yds).  It's like a motel.  A bit dated but CLEAN.  Spotless clean. 

No real amenities but it served it's purpose.

http://www.soleeast.com/

2009-09-01 5:40 PM

User image

I stayed at the Atlantic Terrace.  Basic, clean, cheap. 

The first 4 motels listed are all within biking/ walking distance of Transition... which is one of the 'cool factors' of this race.  Really.  You can just ride your bike to transition the morning of.  The motels are literally 5 blocks away, tops.

Oh, and ask for a room on the bottom floor if possible.  If you get a room on the second floor carrying your bike upstairs sucks

Click me:  http://eventpowerli.com/events/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82%3Amightyman-accommodations&catid=35%3Aevents&Itemid=65

2009-09-02 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
I stayed at Sole East on second floor in 2007 and not much room with 2 double beds for bike and all the gear.

We staying at the beach this year...not sure where as the wife booked it.

I would be in for an afternoon swim on Friday and a nice easy 1 loop of the bike on Saturday if anyone wants to preview the course. Or we could flip flop and ride Friday afternoon & then swim on Saturday which sounds a bit better.

I won't get there until about noon on Friday!
2009-09-04 11:59 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
1 MONTH TO GO!!!!!

Are we all ready???

I have been hampered by a mild case of Plantar faciitis, other than that, i am ready to go!!! 

training plan ends a week early so i am resting this week, and going to finish it up in the next two!!!

lets hope for weather like we are having right now!!!!  maybe even a little cooler, lol!!

2009-09-08 10:17 AM

User image

For anyone who is interested, the Sunday morning one week prior to the race -- September 27th -- myself, Mike (mscotthall) and (hopefully) Charlie Lunchbox will be swimming at least 1 mile at Cedar Beach.

I've found a Long EZ Swim one week out from a race to be very beneficial for many reasons: it helps you acclimate to the current water temps and conditions which gives you confidence going into the race; it reminds us how to swim in a wetsuit ; OPWS stroke is often times a bit different from pool stroke ;  and a slew of other very good reasons.  Personally, I love starting my Taper with with a nice EZ Long Swim.

All are welcome:  7 AM   8 AM, September 27th, Cedar Beach.  

Edited by Dream Chaser 2009-09-08 10:29 AM
2009-09-08 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

I'm good, but not until 8am.  That's the earliest I can reasonably get there after a night shift.

2009-09-09 2:04 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
i would be down for that, do you guys have directions or an address??

2009-09-09 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2397179

User image

Rudedog55 - 2009-09-09 3:04 PM i would be down for that, do you guys have directions or an address??

Oh boy.  That's a little bit tricky.  Use mapquest.com or a car navigation system and type in "Harbor Beach Rd".  It's at the west far end of that road.

Oh wait... the beauty of google :   

Directions to Cedar Beach
Harbor Beach Road, Mount Sinai

From the L.I.E. – Take exit 63 ( North Ocean Avenue) north to 25A. Go east (right) to the first light, Echo Avenue. You can only go left. Make a left at the next light, Pipe Stave Hollow Road and follow this down to Harbor Beach Road. You will make a quick right-left over North Country Road. PSH Road will have a small fork at the end, stay to your left. Make a left on Harbor Beach Road, Cedar Beach is on the right.

From the Northern State: Take NSP east to the end, the road turns into Veterans Memorial Highway. Approximately one mile east, Route 347 splits off to the left. Take 347 into Mt. Sinai, where it turns into Route 25A. Make a left on Echo Avenue, left at the next traffic light onto Pipe Stave Hollow Road and follow directions as above.

From 25A westbound: Take 25A to Pipe Stave Hollow Road (Party Hardy and Eddie G restaurant at the light). Make a right and follow directions as above.

From 25A eastbound: Take 25A to Pipe Stave Hollow Road. Make a left and follow directions as above.

2009-09-16 3:05 PM

I was looking for some advice on fueling up during the race.  Most events I have particiapated in lasted nor more than three to four hours.  What is recommended for a HIM.  I assume much of this is custom to each individual but was hoping that someone could give some general guidelines on what to eat during the race to maximize performance.  Thanks. 

2009-09-16 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey Garbo,

Fueling is definelty a personal preference. What works for one could destroy anothers race day. Keep this in mind. Try to consume about 300 calories each hour on the bike. These calories can be in liquid, gel or solid form, or combo of all. how many calories you take on the run is personal too. I can ingest about 200 calories of gel per hour on the run. More than that starts to bother my stomach.

Keep in mind whatever you decide you better try out and make sure it works these last few weeks before the race.

Hope that helps.
2009-09-17 9:10 PM

Thanks for the info.  BTW-  What's the water temp for this race? 
2009-09-23 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2412920

User image

Garbo1 - 2009-09-17 10:10 PM Thanks for the info.  BTW-  What's the water temp for this race? 

I don't remember the exact temp last year, but I honestly don't remember it being cold at all.  If I remember correctly, it may have even felt a touch warm -- which I don't like cause I overheat easy in a wetsuit.  But the water is fresh, it's not super deep, it's smoooth as glass; I can honestly say of all the OPWS's I've done (as far as conditions are concerned) it's the easiest by a longshot.

T-minus  11 days and a wake-up!! 

2009-09-23 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Long Island, NY

x2.  The water temp was damn near perfect last year and smooth as glass.  Not a lot of crap in the water, even for a lake (pond, whatever it is.)

Someone call up a medicine man and have him/her do an anti-rain dance for us, though.  I don't really want to relive that from last year.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » MightyMan Montauk : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5