General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing Presque Isle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-18 5:54 PM

New user
Subject: Anyone doing Presque Isle?
I am registered for the sprint at Presque Isle on the 29th of Aug. Has anyone here done this race in the past? I read a couple race reports, but wondered if anyone had something to add. This will be my second Tri and my swimming is still not where I would like to be. I am nervous about swimming in Lake Erie.

2009-08-19 4:52 AM
in reply to: #2356800

Subject: RE: Anyone doing Presque Isle?
It really depends on the day but usually Presque Isle is the sprint that swims like an Olympic. Remember it is an endurance event and just take your time, focus, and don't freak out. If you can swim in a pool you can swim in the lake. Its a great race and the heat is what I would be more concerned with. Get in the water a few minutes early and feel the rhythm of the waves. The timing will help you realize when to breathe. Just stay focused and your adrenaline to conquer the waves rather than focus on the negative. I am not a strong swimmer and have lived thru many Erie swims. Enjoy the day, you will do fine.
2009-08-21 6:41 AM

User image

Pittsburgh, PA

I'm registered and still nursing a mild sprain so we'll see if I do it.  It would be my first.  I think (emphasis on think) that the swim is in a different spot this year - it'll be in Presque Isle Bay as opposed to Lake Erie outright - I know same water but I think having it in the bay, the water will be calmer with less waves.
I'm not worried about the heat - I'm actually more worried about getting in a cold bay when it's less than 70 degrees outside.  I don't have a wetsuit, so I'm just hoping that I won't freeze.

Maybe I'll see you there!

2009-08-22 5:49 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
The bay is much calmer, which should make for a great swim. In addition, they moved the race up 2 weeks, which may also mean better weather. I raced this one 3 or 4 years ago and the lake water was smooth like glass. The last few times, the waves were seriously choppy and the swim was tough -- and I've swum Alcatraz.

I've swam across the bay twice, once in a light rain, and had no wave issues. Except for the shipping channel out in the middle, it's only 12-15 feet deep, and as you first stride in, you'll feel the seeweed up to your thighs. The water is relatively clear -- you can see your extended hand and the feet of the guy in front of you, but you won't see the bottom.

A wetsuit would be good for bouyancy, but probably not necessary for temp. I'm guessing the bay water should be in the low 70s by now.

This is a well-organized race and one of my favorites. The bike is enclosed within the peninsula, and car traffic is restricted to 25mph. (And the speed limit is vigorously enforced!) The run has a stretch in the second 1/2 along the sand, which will surprise your legs. I've met folks from all across the state who make this race part of a beach weekend getaway. The race usually sells out, and you'll see a line of 'stand-bys' at the registration table. If you don't pick up your chip by a certain time, the race director releases it.

Have a great race. Right now, it looks like I'm going to miss it, but if my plans change, I'll be riding a burnt-orange Felt, so say hi.
2009-08-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2363810

User image

Heard on the local news last night that the lake is now 77.  Spent the weekend in the lake and bay and water was comfortable. Temp should stay around that. Expecting mid 70's to 80's most of the week.
2009-08-23 8:53 AM

User image

I had initially wanted to do this race, but my swimming is still in the early stages...opted for the Richmond Multi-sport in Oct. with a pool swim. Maybe next year for open water!

2009-08-23 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2364748

User image

Should have put my posts together! Sorry! The bay can be a little rough if there is an east wind, and also...weekend boat traffic can play a part in how rough it is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing Presque Isle? Rss Feed