Tuxedo Brothers
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 42s
Overall Rank = 92/463
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at my Mom's the night before the race. I got up early, funbled around the kitchen trying to find what I needed, all the while trying not to wake the rest of the house. Drove downtown, got parked, and made my way to transition. After picking up my packet, getting marked, and setting up transition I waited forever in the porta-potty line. There was a pre-race meeting, followed by the start of the Duathlon and the start of the Oly.
Event warmup:

Walked the 500m along the canal to the sprint swim start. Just as I started heading on my way the first swimmer in the Oly came roaring out of the water at about 18min! After the Oly swimmers had passed they started the waves for the sprint. I got in the water early enough to adjust to the temps and get in a few strokes for warmup.
Swim
  • 12m 40s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Due to the width of the canal, waves were small - only 30 people per wave. No one wanted to line up at the front so I went ahead and filled the gap. I started out strong - got a good rhythm and managed to ignore the jostling of the other nearby swimmers. I had to swim smooshed between two dudes for the first 100m or so but didn't let it bother me. Then I got sloshed with a big mouthful of water and struggled to get my breathing back under control. From there it was all downhill. I had to revert to breaststroke for a bit and just never got a good rhythm back.
What would you do differently?:

I haven't been to the pool in ages. My swim fitness is lacking. It just boils down to putting in time in the water.

On the positive side - I managed to swim in a straight line, navigate the two turns and slower swimmers, and stayed relaxed in traffic.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Awful. As I came running out of the water, I dropped my goggles. Took a few seconds to turn around and pick them up. Then I went brain dead and ran past my rack. Having to turn around and come at it from the other side seemed to confuse me even more and I stood there for a few seconds trying to get my bearings. Finally located my bike. Rest of the transition went smoothly.

I always make it a point to practice my route from swim exit to rack to bike exit and from bike in to rack to run out. It was a huge transition area with lots of bike and lots of racks. Guess I should have walked the route more than once.
Bike
  • 40m 52s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried my best to push on the bike. There were lots of sharp turns, railroad tracks, potholes and rough conditions to navigate. Felt like I was constantly in and out of the aerobars. Add in the crowded conditions and it ended being a mentally difficult bike segment.

I pushed as hard as I could when I could. Pretty happy with my performance on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Got lost in transition again!

Bring my brain.
Run
  • 25m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

It was really starting to heat up by the time I got to the run. I grabbed water at the aid stations, took a sip, then poured the rest on the back of my neck. Found some pace booty early on and stuck with him as long as I could. Starting to feel it by the last mile and my sexy boy got away from me but I managed to keep 'em churning and pulled out a 5K PR.
Post race
Event comments:

Another race where I have to take the good with the bad. Not surprisingly, the swim was a weak spot. The trouble with transitions - pretty upset with myself for that. Between T1 and T2, I easily lost a minute or more searching for my rack. On the upside, I had a strong bike and followed up with a strong run. Next step is to put together a complete race.

Last updated: 2009-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:40 | 547 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 167/463
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim in the canal.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:52 | 12.43 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Overall: 130/463
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly flat route along downtown streets.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:50 | 03.11 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 81/463
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat - along the river
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-18 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Tri Indy - Sprint Distance

2009-08-19 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2357014

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Tri Indy - Sprint Distance

Wow, 3rd place AND a 5k PR!  Nice job!

2009-08-19 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

SUWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET RACE EMILY! you and I need to both get back to the pool...sure you can find a cute pace booty there too! NICE JOB ON YOUR RACE!! 18+mph speed on the bike is kick a$$~ a PR RUN!

and HARDWARE!!!! ~~ even with the troubles you had with your transition!!!

I'm PROUD OF YOU SISTER!!!! KIU!!!!!

2009-08-19 6:07 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I can't say it any better than Julie did.  SWEET RACE!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy - Sprint Distance Rss Feed