United States
City of O'Fallon
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 6s
Overall Rank = 274/296
Age Group = W45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/16
Pre-race routine:

Saturday I cleaned and lubed my chain and pumped up my tires. I had also prepared my water/Gatorade bottles and put them in the fridge. Up at 5:30 am on Sunday, got dressed, made myself a PBJ for the ride over, grabbed my transition bag, loaded up the bike and was on my way. I got to the race site and set up my TA and got body marked. Then it was wait time. This was a time trial start in an outdoor pool and I had about an hour until my turn to swim.
Event warmup:

Not much here. Figured it wouldn't do a lot of good because of the wait so just sat around watching the other athletes start their swim, chatted a bit with some others and just waited for my time.
Swim
  • 08m 10s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Despite the fact that I finished last in my age group, this actually went really well for me. I had estimated my time pretty good and only had 2 people pass me. The second probably should have stayed behind me because I kept catching up to her when we got close to the wall.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to put in more swim time - other than that it went well.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

I don't have an actual transition time (I think they got lumped in with the bike time) so this is an estimate. I was racked all the way at the back of the TA so it took me a little longer to get to my bike, but once I got there things went OK.

Try to rack a little closer to the front of the TA.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 15s
  • 18 miles
  • 13.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Time is based on what my Garmin showed as I finished the bike route. As I mentioned before, I think transitions times were included in the official bike time, so I used the time I showed.

This was hard, but I knew it would be going in. My bike fitness was not where it should have been and even though I had trained on some hills, I knew this was going to be tougher. The rolling hills were OK, but there were some that were a little longer or a little steeper - those took a lot out of me. Twice I had to stop my bike because I was feeling sick and having trouble catching my breath. After a few minutes and some water, I was able to get back on and keep going. The second half went a little better - I was able to shift better (knowing what gears to use when) but I was definitely ready to be done by the time I got back to the TA.

Lots more bike training!
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

Again the time is estimated. It's a little long 'cause I stopped to pee. I probably could have waited until after the run, but figured the run would be a lot more comfortable this way.
Run
  • 43m 40s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a bad run for me, with a lot of walking. I tried to run the few flats that were there and the downhills but had to walk the uphills.

More bricks maybe? I don't know, I though I'd be OK on the run but even after my legs loosened up, I just didn't have any energy. I guess the bike took alot out of me.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, orange slices and walked around a little. Then headed up to the hall for food and awards. Got some Gatorade, a sub sandwich (they had pizza too) and some pretzels. I decided to stick around for the raffle and ended up winning a large bottle of HammerGel and a gel flask.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough of the right kind of training.

Event comments:

I'm glad I did this race. It's something I've been wanting to do for the last 3 years. I'd love to do it again next year, but only if I spend a lot more time with hill training, both on the bike and the run.

Last updated: 2009-05-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:10 | 300 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 0/296
Performance: Good
Suit: tri top & tri shorts
Course: serpentine swim in outdoor 25yd pool
Start type: Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:15 | 18 miles | 13.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/16
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: HILLS!! Some just rolling hills but a couple of harder ones also.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:43:40 | 03.1 miles | 14m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/16
Performance: Bad
Course: More hills! You start out going uphill (a pretty good hill) on legs that don't want to work - that was fun!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-19 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: Alligator's Creek Triathlon

2009-08-19 12:14 PM
in reply to: #2358091

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: RE: Alligator's Creek Triathlon
WAY TO GO!!!!!
2009-08-19 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Janet--congratulations on your performance.  You definitely have the right kind of attitude.  The more positively you enter these events the easier they will get.  Keep it up!

Suzy
2009-08-19 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Getting better every time.  Great job!!!!
2009-08-19 3:15 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Good job, Janet!  You are definitely improving with each race you complete!!!  We are proud of you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alligator's Creek Triathlon Rss Feed