Derby Recreation Center
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 26s
Overall Rank = 33/57
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 4:30 and ate a peanut butter bagel and a banana. Drank some water. Drove out to the event with my sister and brother-in-law who were also competing. Felt completely out of my element as soon as we pulled into the parking lot. This was our first race and here was all this awesome equipment and everyone seeming to know what they were doing. :) Got my restroom routine done and then out to get marked. I chose the lady with the neatest hand writing to do my marking...I'm OCD. What can I say?
Event warmup:

Did some stretching, but no particular warmup. Fussed with my transition area a few times paranoid that I was forgetting something.
Swim
  • 09m 34s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is a good event for me. I rarely get tired completing this event and that was the case in this race. I did get passed by a dude at the 300m mark. But I was able to keep a good pace.
What would you do differently?:

I would set my watch so I could keep a better eye on my pace. I can swim the 400 in 8:30, so this was slower than usual for me. I don't know if seeing my pace would've helped or not.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

This was my first race so I was really trying to focus on not messing up or missing something. I did dry my feet and put on socks and tennis shoes so I know that slows me down. I'm not accustomed to jumping on the bike so that may be something I need to practice in the future.

I would probably forgo the socks as they get dreched during the bike anyway. I do use toe clips so I have to put tennis shoes on. I think before my next race I'll buy some YANKZ! so I don't have to take the time to tie my shoes.
Bike
  • 53m 58s
  • 14 miles
  • 15.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I made mistake riding the hills in that I geared down too low and wasn't able to maintain my speed. I wasn't sure how much to push my legs to keep some energy for the run. The last 7 miles I didn't gear down so much and was able to keep my speed up on the inclines. I don't have any bike racing experience so this was good for me.

Try to keep the gears higher on inclines and learn to ride better out of the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I kept thinking I still had my helmet on, but it was off and I was wearing my running cap. I thought about changing my drenched socks, but decided against it.

Next time I'll not wear socks on the run and maybe try to run without them as well. I hate wet socks!
Run
  • 37m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I came off the bike with my left foot asleep and it didn't wake up until the 1 mile marker. I never felt loose during the run. I wanted to walk so BAD. I usually jog at 12 min/mi pace. So, this was the right pace for me. The guy in front of me was jogging about the same pace and he started to walk which convinced me that I didn't want to walk after all! I got a little irritated at two points: one was the little trail into the woods (don't know why, but I hated that) and two was the racer who had already finished and was at the 3 mile marker asking me questions about what I was going to do after the race. I couldn't talk and he just kept asking me questions. Not sure what that was about...now it makes me laugh, but when you want to die it's not amusing.

I need to practice speed drills. When I started training 4 months ago I couldn't jog more than 3 minutes at a time. I can jog 3.1 miles now so it's time to increase the pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the parking lot with my husband, kids and other family. My sister finished a few minutes before me and we met up. We were thrilled to have finished what we set out to do! We cheered on my brother-in-law as he sprinted across the finish line. I was on cloud 9!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical conditioning! Now I know that I not only need aerobic conditioning, but strength training. I plan on keeping it up and racing some next season.

Event comments:

Great race! Nothing to compare it to, but no complaints at all!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:34 | 437 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 25/57
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: This was a serpentine style swim down one lane and back in the next. The lanes were wide with plenty of room for passing. The bad part was having to swim under the rope when changing lanes. The pool was a 50 yd length and I really liked that.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:53:58 | 14 miles | 15.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/8
Overall: 57/57
Wind: Headwind
Course: There were a lot of hills on this course and a headwind to boot. I've read some other competitors saying that this was fairly flat, but I found it to be rather hilly. The course was maily on paved country roads. The last 5 miles was with the wind at our backs and slightly downhill which made for some good speed. I was able to hit 26mph. That's pretty fast for me. The last section was through a neighborhood. I'm not sure why, but I hated this section the most.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:37:06 | 03.1 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 51/57
Course: This is by far my worst event! The course was through a neighborhood and then around High Park in Derby. It was mainly flat, but there were long inclines at the end that definitely made me more exhausted.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-19 12:35 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Rock N' Route

2009-08-19 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2358245

User image

Kansas
Subject: RE: Rock N' Route

Good job on your first tri! The first one always gives you so much information that you didn't have before and gives you a place to work from and helps you to know what you want to focus on for the next one. Just keep it up!!

2009-08-20 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2358850

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Rock N' Route
Thanks!  It was a great experience and I look forward to doing more of them.  Now if I could just get faster...Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock N' Route Rss Feed