CGI Racing
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 40m 58s
Overall Rank = 118/350
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/32
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30. Had toast w/honey, a banana, and some fruit juice. Drove up to NE with lots of race music blaring; getting pumped for the race :) Met up with my friends from the super cool BT-Maryland crew and hung out from 6:30 - 8:15 when my wave finally went off!

Took a caffeine gu before the start.
Event warmup:

Warmup jog back and forth to the car to get the Gus I left on my passenger seat (oops!)
Swim
  • 33m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was sooo slow. I hadn't been swimming much the past few weeks (my own fault) so I wasn't expecting much but I was really disappointed at this time. My sighting was okay and I felt like a relaxed enough into the swim that I was able to focus on my form: floating hips, really pulling through the water, etc.. but it still ended up really slow.

Oh, and I was surprised that I didn't get mangled and beat up at the start. I started further back in the crowd which I think was just about the right starting place for me.
What would you do differently?:

Swim, swim, swim
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

I decided to do the shoes-on-bike that I tried at Columbia and went seamlessly - not so much this time around... I put one foot in then the other shoe caught on the pavement and I started to fall to the side - in the process unclipping my partly inserted foot which flew the shoe off to the side of the bike. So I had to stop, get off the bike, hold it up while I put the shoe on, and then clip into the pedal.. so essentially I got to practice both shoes-on-bike and clip-in-go for this race. The run from the water to the transition area was really long - hence the long T1s. (7th fastest in AG)

Practice the shoes-on-bike running start EVERY time I start to ride!
Bike
  • 1h 12m 6s
  • 23.5 miles
  • 19.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Over a minute of this time was my "getting on the bike" fiasco! But I stayed calm and once I got rolling just put it all behind me and had a great bike leg :) I passed tons of people - some girl I passed commented after I rode by "Could you legs be any longer!?!?" I started cracking up :)

I really pushed it up AND down the hills. Pedaling pretty much the whole time - and I think this gave me a big advance in speed.

I had the 9th fastest bike time out of the women - even w/my delay getting on the bike :)

Nutrition: 1 waterbottle & 1 accelerade (2 scoops).

Bike specific training instead of random rides. I think I could really improve my speed if I did interval training (that's one of my new training goals).
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Helmet off, socks and shoes on, nothing too noteworthy.

Have feet made of steel so I can get away w/o wearing socks at an Oly :)
Run
  • 51m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run! It was hilly and hot but my body held up really well. I had a sweet negative split (8:30s on the way out, 8:10s on the way back). I poured water on me at every water station and took the ice cold towels too. I think the week of training in FL and the mid-day long runs really gave me an advantage on the run. I never though I would have a relatively comparable ranking on the run as I did on the bike!

Took a gu at mile 1 and 4.

Nothing - just be able to run faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on all the other BTers as they came in from the course. It was a HOT day!

Then got rear-ended on the way home from the race.. with my bike on the back of the car.. and can never be ridden again.. and the guy who hit me is claiming I waved him down and he never hit me (the impact to the bike was absorbed by his bumper and there is no "damage" to his car).. so I've been dealing with all that crap for the last 4 days... so the joy of the race unfortunately quickly eluded me. It was a great time though and I love knowing so many people at the races to hang out with and cheer on - it makes it so much more of a social sport :)

Last updated: 2009-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:44 | 1640 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/32
Overall: 238/350
Performance: Below average
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:12:06 | 23.5 miles | 19.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/32
Overall: 93/350
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:51:39 | 06.21 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 114/350
Performance:
Course: Rolling hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-19 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glen Burnie, MD
Subject: North East Triathlon

2009-08-19 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2358675

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: North East Triathlon
Hey Rockstar! I knew you were fast on the bike and run but didn't know you were THAT fast. Great job Smurfy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North East Triathlon Rss Feed