United States
Tuxedo Brothers
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my third tri ever. Oh, and this is my first race report ever, so forgive some of the lacking information. I will get it down eventually. Got up at 5:00 am. Took shower, ate bagel with pnut butter, and drank a regular coke. Grabbed water, and bananna and hopped on bike and rode to race site. Was one of the first few people there. Nabbed an awesome spot on the end of the rack. Got everything all set up in the dark.
Event warmup:

Not much really. Ate my bananna drank lots of water, which meant a few visits to the port o potty. Jogged around a bit, walked to swim start,and did get in and swim a little before starting. Watched the olympic participants come through, while waiting for our start. Watched the poor ducks freak out that their canal was being taken over by 1000+ people
Swim
  • 13m 32s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very cool swim. As I said this was my third tri. All of them have been OWS, but all very different. First one in Ocean, wave start.(wasn't such a smart move for the first), second, a time trial start in deep water off the end of a boat dock. This was my favorite. Canal was only 4.5 feet deep, so I really didn't get the swim freakout I have before. I think I enjoyed it a little too much. I was slooooooow. I must have been drafting off a duck :-)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe actually swim like I was in a race, and not take in so much of the coolness of the venue.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Too many spectators inside the transition area. No wristbands given out, and they weren't enforcing the athletes only rule very well. Didn't dig that too much. Biked sockless for the first time in a race. Not sure what took me so long here. My shoes are true road bike shoes with ratchet at the top. I love them and hate them.

Get different shoes, so it doesn't take me so long to put them on.
Bike
  • 43m
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Beginning of the course was great, and I was averging about 19 mph. Which is fast for me. Then, wham, potholes, rr tracks, and some really rough roads. Considered myself lucky to not be one of the many many people I saw changing flats. I think it got to me a little mentally, because I slowed way down. Thank you to the anonymous olympic racer that came up behind me and yelled back at me to keep pushing, it helped me to kick it back in. And a double thank you to the volunteers who really did a good job of trying to alert you to rr tracks and turns.

Not let the rough roads scare me into slowing down. I soooooo did not want to have to change a flat.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Think I took a nap or something after the pothole drama. Don't really know why this was so slow. I did stop and put socks on. Again the bike shoes with the ratchet at the top takes both hands and a little extra time. Used yanks for the first time. LOVE EM!!

go faster. Think I remember walking a little with my bike through transition.
Run
  • 36m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my biggest disappointment. Thought I would do so much better because the bike course was relatively flat, and my legs would be fresher. Had major calf cramp in the first 1/2 mile or so and finally worked that out, but it was HOT, and I walked the water stations (a little too long) and it shows in my time.

Run faster. Not walk so long at water stations. Couldn't do much about the cramp from hell.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, cooled down in the canal, and then found the cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This is my first year in the sport and my third tri. I am still tinkering, and looking for ways to improve with every aspect of it. I would say work got in the way of training for this one, and I'm sure that didn't help.

Event comments:

This was a great, fun race. I will definitely do again next year, but am going to shoot for the olympic. Hopefully they spend some money between now and then working on the roads.

Last updated: 2009-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:32 | 547 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri suit
Course: 500 M swim in canal that runs through downtown Indy. Point to point swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:00 | 12.43 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course through part of park, and city streets. Nice and flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat loop around the white river.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-20 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
Subject: Tri Indy - Sprint Distance

2009-08-20 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2360147

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
Subject: RE: Tri Indy - Sprint Distance

Great job M-shell!  Way to represent Kentucky!

Nice bike split by the way!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy - Sprint Distance Rss Feed