Running Fit Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 46s
Overall Rank = 177/
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/29
Pre-race routine:

Struggled a little with how to prep for an evening race, so I winged it. PBJ about 3 hours out, then a bottle of infinit about 2 hours out, then a gel 45 mins out. We were racing right when I'd normally be eating a full dinner, but this seemed to hold me.

Got to ILRA and found some friends while Eric did his 7 mile run. Lots of folks I haven't seen in a while, so that was very cool!
Event warmup:

Ran for about 10 minutes, biked for 10 minutes (and found that my computer wasn't picking up - gave me a chance to fix it), then swam for maybe 5 min. I figured I'd want to be pretty well warmed up for a sprint and I was out of practice for the fast stuff!
Swim
  • 16m 18s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

Not a bad swim...I started off right behind the first line of swimmers and had a great draft for a bit. The first half went by quickly, then I hung onto the feet of a really splashy kicker. He was going a little slower than I could have gone, but it was a nice, comfortable pace.

For not having swam much this year...this was a great swim for me! Very comfortable - and over with so fast!
What would you do differently?:

Not lose interest in swim workouts half way through the year.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Pretty fast transition, the only weird thing was that the mount line was on grass...a first for me. I had practiced leaving my shoes clipped in, but it felt weird to get started on the grass.

I figured I could put my shoes on in T1 and run pretty fast on grass anyway, so that's what I did. Oh, and this was the first race I've done sans socks on the bike...no problems.

Not much.
Bike
  • 37m 31s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.88 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is where my lack of sprint pacing experience came out. I was pushing hard enough that I was having a tough time keeping my Gatorade down. I should've backed off a bit, but my legs were feeling good. It was my cardio fitness that wasn't used to a quicker pace. This was a pretty good pace for me...especially considering that ILRA isn't flat.

A little painful, but fun to be going that fast.

And there was a water bottle station on the course? Seriously? It was only 12 miles...weird. I did see people taking bottles though, so maybe they didn't bring anything on their bike?

I need more practice biking faster. I'm very comfortable biking long in zone 2, but have a tough time pushing it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Got outta my shoes once we were on the bike path and hopped off into the grass at the dismount line. Had a bit of a problem getting re-racked, but was outta there pretty quick.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Wasn't sure what to expect for the run after that bike, but my legs felt decent at first. Then there was the 1/2 mile-ish gradual incline once on the road. That hurt. I was suffering a bit the whole time, but hung on to a pretty even pace. Achilles was a little tight, but not bad.

I got passed by 2 girls in my AG, but then I passed 2...but man, I wasn't even close to catching up to the AG winners! Sheesh!

The last bit of the run was all downhill, so it felt good to let it all out for the finish!

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got a little ART for the achilles/lower calf, ate, chatted with friends we haven't seen in a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No sprint training! 3 years of long distance stuff does not prepare you for that kind of hurt!

Event comments:

Great atmosphere! I'd definitely do one of these again!

Last updated: 2009-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:18 | 800 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: 1 loop in Kent Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:31 | 12.43 miles | 19.88 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: 1 full loop through ILRA minus the eastern side.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:07 | 03.11 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Course: Eastern side of park, a lot of snaking turns
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-21 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: T-Rex Triathlon

2009-08-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2362147

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: T-Rex Triathlon
Dude!  Great race!  Still jealous of the killer swim! :-)  But no mare hatin' I promise!

Awesome bike out there too! Woo Hoo! 

And yeah, when I grow up, I'd like to run as speedy as you, but I'm not holding my breath on that one!

Congrats on a fab sprint!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » T-Rex Triathlon Rss Feed