Set-Up, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 9s
Overall Rank = 131/354
Age Group = M Clyde
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

No wetsuit so relaxing morning. Talked to others while watching early wave go.
Event warmup:

None really, got wet, swam maybe 50 yards.
Swim
  • 34m 37s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really haven't had a swim focus recently (that'd be a nice way of saying I been skipping almost all recnt swim practices) so my first goal was to get through this leg without burning myself out. Swam easy and smooth, but not fast. I was feeling the glide much better than last years non-ws races so am happy with my improved technique. On the last leg still felt fresh so I powered it in. So I did swim overly conservatively but without much recent practice I thought it was the best strategy. I never really hooked up with anyone to draft but seemed to always be pulled along. No wetsuit really made it easier to feel a swimmer much further out in front of me.

Time was a little Slow. Course was probably a little long. My time was about a far back from other teammates as I have come to expect so overall not as terrible a swim a I feared it might be.
What would you do differently?:

As if I need to repeat myself, get in the pool.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Decent time considering the long run up a staircase to T area. Wetsuit always gets stuck on heel so no wetsuit gave me an average time instead of a BOP time.
Bike
  • 1h 15m
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.88 mile/hr
Comments:

The out to the loop starts with a little climb followed by a screaming downhill. The first third of the loop is a shallow downhill, the next third rolling hills, the final third a very long shallow uphill. The loop is done twice. The return is the only hard climb of the course, then a long shallow descent to transition.

Love this bike course. Long descents allow sustained max speed with some pedaling effort. One unfurunate thing ids that by starting last wave there are alot of apprehensive riders dragging their brakes staying in the middle of the road. Passing them with a 15-20 mph speed differential can get tricky. The rolling hills section, can really be flattened out with a juditious use of momentium, and I have lots of momentium. So up down upp down, staying aero, stay on the shifters, maintain cadence. I was well aware of the shallow incline to close the loop, so stayed aero as long as nessecary, settled in at my race effort/heart race and just cruised up it. pushing up the false flat because I feel I should be going faster is a recipe for blowing up before it's over.

Two loop, twice the fun.

The return leg - up the hill, find the small chainring and an easy spin up. Passed the team photographer yelling ta stand and climb. Ignore him, it's usually good advice to ignore Sebatian. I don't think anyone passed me going up the hill. But in the final mile to T2 passed many as I had the energy to reaccelerate and do a high speed cruise to the end.

I did plan on taking the bike a smig easier, but by half way through the first loop I hadn't settled down I figured I might as well keep this effort level a see how it goes. My hr did fall off throu to the end of the leg so did go out to strong, and did pay for it on the run, but doubt I lost more time running than gained biking, probably about an even trade, but definitely came close to going over that edge.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

As good as my T2 gets, racked bike, helmet off, shoes on, grabbed hat, fr305 and race belt all to be put on while running
Run
  • 53m 11s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Double out and back with to hills each way. The return side steeper than the out side. Not my best run but ok. Slower than last year but gave more on the bike. Not much else to say but the steeper ups really kicked my butt. Day was getting sunny and I could really start feeling the heat.

The double out and back gives you plenty of opportunity to eyeball your competion. I kinda lost focus and never looked for the M.Clyde who eventually beat me. In fact I came out of T2 20 seconds ahead of him, so I passed him near the end of the bike leg. So I need to pay better attention to the race. Of course my cyldes don't get properly and he could have run stealth passed me.
Post race
Warm down:

Beer, burger, Beer, dog, Beer

Event comments:

Great venue, well staffed, lots of water at the aid stations (it was getting hot at the end and full cups of water to sip then slpash were appreciated)

Last updated: 2009-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:37 | 1640 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 228/354
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: A square course around the lake then a V back across. One lap
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: