General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-22 4:13 PM

Subject: swimming recommendations
Anyone have any recommendations for swim training to improve 1500+ swim times?  Want to get my time from 28 to under 25 for 1500m.  I am already planning on being in the water alot this winter.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks

2009-08-22 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2364224

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Subject: RE: swimming recommendations
I'm not any help but can you give me some pointers on get my 1500 time from 35 to 28 minutes? :-)
2009-08-22 9:10 PM

I am no expert in swimming by any means but I think that just being in the water more helps a good amount.  Doing longer swims or swimming more often has been the one thing that has helped me to become more comfortable in the water.  There is also a video on the BT site that describes some principles of open water swimming:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1792

I think the ideas of swimming efficiently are key to being faster in the water.  I just need to find some more specific details on ways to be efficient.

Does anyone participate in a Master's swim group in or around Columbia? How do you join?
2009-08-22 10:48 PM
in reply to: #2364486

Pro
yep,

jaxmwt - 2009-08-22 10:10 PM I am no expert in swimming by any means but I think that just being in the water more helps a good amount.  Doing longer swims or swimming more often has been the one thing that has helped me to become more comfortable in the water.  There is also a video on the BT site that describes some principles of open water swimming:

I think the ideas of swimming efficiently are key to being faster in the water.  I just need to find some more specific details on ways to be efficient.

Does anyone participate in a Master's swim group in or around Columbia? How do you join?

I'm not part of a masters group at all but LTF in Columbia has a masters group and a "group" aka tri swim group.

Are you a member of LTF at all?

2009-08-23 6:44 AM

User image

Columbia, MD
same way you get faster at anything else: intervals. Once a week do some 50s or 100s, maybe even 25s as fast as you can, with some rest in between, but not enough to completely recover.

at the times you mentioned, I'd guess your form may also be holding you back. A master's team might help, I've heard good things about Total Immersion (never tried it though), or simply hooking up with swimmers from here and getting some pointers.
2009-08-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2364486

jaxmwt - 2009-08-22 10:10 PM I am no expert in swimming by any means but I think that just being in the water more helps a good amount.  Doing longer swims or swimming more often has been the one thing that has helped me to become more comfortable in the water.  There is also a video on the BT site that describes some principles of open water swimming:

Just happened to be lurking in here - seems odd that this poster would respond to his own question...anyone else notice this? He posts asking how to drop his swim times, then posts again saying "well, for me, what worked was..." - just seems strange...

2009-08-23 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2364722

wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-23 8:05 AM

Just happened to be lurking in here - seems odd that this poster would respond to his own question...anyone else notice this? He posts asking how to drop his swim times, then posts again saying "well, for me, what worked was..." - just seems strange...

I was responding to SCamp07 and not to myself.  He wants to drop his time from 35 minutes and since my times have been faster than that, I gave him what advice I could.  I point out that I am looking for more specific swimming technique that I do not know. 
2009-12-15 8:51 PM

jaxmwt - 2009-08-22 5:13 PM Anyone have any recommendations for swim training to improve 1500+ swim times?  Want to get my time from 28 to under 25 for 1500m.  I am already planning on being in the water alot this winter.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks

I'm a competitive swimmer. Technique and practice, practice, practice!! And of course the right equipment. Do some drills with fins, paddles, kickboards, and pull buoys to make it more fun!

Good luck!!!
2009-12-16 7:32 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
I'm of the school of thought the the reason you are not 3 minutes faster is not primarily a fitness issue, but a technique issue.   So instead of countless hours reinforcing improper technique, I'd spend the time on lessons/feedback and then appropriate drills.

PS - I suck at swimming.  But if I was committed to getting better, I would follow my advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swimming recommendations Rss Feed