General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a training partner. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-23 11:09 AM

Birmingham
Subject: Looking for a training partner.
Hi, I am just starting out and am looking to train with a buddy. I have been training 3 days a week with an occasional hike here and there. My goal is to try a sprint next season.
Thanks

2009-08-26 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2364870

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: Looking for a training partner.
I"m rather new also, but have found a few resources that may be of benefit.

I've hooked up with the US Master's Swim class at the MB Y, but there is one in Vestavia also at the Vestavia Pool.  A good source for meeting people and getting good coaching on the swim portion.  You can find local groups here:  http://www.usms.org/

There is the Vulcan Tri Club http://www.vulcantri.com/ (which i have not joined, but they have training sessions and activities).  There is a calender on the vulcan tri website with different activites, runs, rides, etc. 

I'm sure the triathletes run with the Trak Shak group in Homewood on Wednesday nights at 5:30pm as well as the biking groups that leave out of Homewood Cycle, Bob's Bikes, etc.  I believe there is a pretty beginner level out of Bob's Bikes on Wednesday nights that was suggested to me by someone here, but i have not been yet.  Apparently it includes some triathletes from the tri club.

Hope some of this helps.
2009-08-27 9:27 AM

Birmingham
Yea I recently heard about the Y thing. Thanks
2009-08-27 11:38 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
I swim with the Masters group at the Greystone YMCA myself. If you're looking for some structured swim workouts, join us. It'll be a huge boost for your swimming, and your accountability to the training!

Also, like mentioned there are beginner bike rides through Bobs Bikes & Bike Link (Both in Birmingham). There are several throughout the week to help with your schedule also. All great.

Again, there's the Vulcan Triathlete group that meets throughout the week for rides and runs. Several of there members overlap into the Masters groups too. So they'll be around in multiple facets.

And, there's the Trak Shak. They have weekly groups and runs to cater to everyone. So, there are plenty of people in different places to meet that'll be happy to provide you company.

Hope all this helps. Feel free to PM me and I'll go into more detail and point you in other directions if necessary. This is just a good general overview of everything.
2009-08-28 12:04 PM

Birmingham
Thanks I'll be checking it out.
2009-09-18 10:21 AM

User image

Birmingham, Al
I joined this forum to also maybe get with some new people to train with.  I ride with a group that involve people from every level of experience.  We do our long rides on Saturday morning usually early as possible.  We run usually during the week.  Swimming I usually do by myself which can get boring.  I am a member at the Hoover Rec Center which has an excellent pool and usually is not very crowded.  The thing they do not have is a structured swimming program that the YMCA offers.  My first tri was the Gulf Coast Half Ironman back in May.  There are four of us who are volunteering for the Flordia Ironman in November and are going to sign up for the 2010 race.  If you live close to  Hoover and are wanting to check the rec center out let me know.  I would like to try and swim with a group such as the one at the YMCA.   If you are interested let me know. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a training partner. Rss Feed