Canada
23C / 73F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 52s
Overall Rank = 10/93
Age Group = M3039
Age Group Rank = 4/15
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am, had coffee and oatmeal. Got all the stuff in the car and headed to Tab's parents place to pick them up at 6:30. Just before we got there, I realized that I had forgotten the camera. Dropped Tab off and drove like crazy back home to get it. Left about 20 mins later than planned but no biggie. Got to the race site around 8:20, parked and found a spot in transition near the bike and run exit.
Event warmup:

Went for a short ride on the bike, maybe 3 km or so. On the way back, I found out how much the wind was going to suck.
Checked out the race routes, tried to stay loose and then watched the Olympic race start. First swimmer was out in just over 16 mins - crazy fast and way ahead of everyone else. We were told that once the last swimmer was out of the water (except one who was way behind) we would start. I went for a short swim to warm up and then was ready to go.
Swim
  • 09m 21s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I positioned myself at the front of the group to make sure I wouldn't get caught up in any people. When the horn went off, I sprinted hard to try to get some clear water and right away I was clear. There was one guy to my left and a couple to the right that looked like they were coming with me but by the first buoy (maybe 100m), I was alone. I didn't know if they were right on my feet or what but I couldn't see anyone. I just found a good comfortably hard pace and kept to it. Rounding the other buoys, I still couldn't tell if anyone was behind me. As I got to the last buoy, I was a little tired but I don't think I went too hard.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. I finished a minute and 20 seconds ahead of second place and felt great throughout the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Not great, I had a hard time getting the zipper down and then a little more trouble getting the suit off. Not usually an issue for me, maybe I was rushing a bit. T1 time is included in the bike time.

Practice more. I need to learn the clipping the shoes to the bike ahead of time trick.
Bike
  • 38m 38s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.06 km/hr
Comments:

Going out was a strong tailwind. Was cruising over 40km/hr most of the time. I tried not to push too hard because I knew I would have a nasty headwind on the way back. I was passed within the first km by one guy but passed him back around the 5k mark. I wasn't passed for good until about the 9km mark. Once I turned around and got back into the wind, it really sucked. I just tried to hold a hard pace and make myself as small of a target as possible for the wind. I saw Menno on the bike but never saw Jeremy so I had no idea where he was. Scott passed me on the bike about 3km from the finish. I was very happy to get over the last hill and head back into the transition area out of the wind.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Kinda felt like I was moving in slow motion. Racked the bike, took off the helmet. Took off the bike shoes, stuffed the garmin in my back pocket, put the socks and shoes on and took off.

Learn to get leave the shoes on the bike and run sockless - goals for next year
Run
  • 24m 55s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Time includes T2. I timed the actual run as 23:35 on the Garmin.

Best run I've had by far. I had the Garmin with me to keep my pace up. I really wanted to try to hold a 4:30 to 4:45 pace throughout if possible. I was able to do that for the most part. Menno passed me at about 2.5km and was gone in no time - that kid can run!

Nothing, I am thrilled with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some fruit and had some gatorade. Tried to eat some pizza but the first bite told me I wasn't going to keep it down if I tried.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind hurt me on the bike but other than that, I'm happy with everything

Last updated: 2009-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:21 | 750 meters | 01m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 1/93
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Pro X2
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:38 | 20 kms | 31.06 km/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 20/93
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with some small hills but nothing significant. Road was rough with patches.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:55 | 05 kms | 04m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 25/93
Performance: Good
Course: Some roads, some trail - including about 200m of rough trail. Fairly flat, only a couple small hills in the first km.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes