View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
United States
Total Time = 2h 37m 10s
Overall Rank = 505/924
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 59/76
Pre-race routine:

Drove down on Fri afternoon to register and check in the bike. Had to work in the am, so no time for any warmup or local workout. Drove the bike course as well.
Event warmup:

Walked down to transition from the car and set up. Had an hour from the time transition closed till my wave started. Sat on the hill and watched the first waves go ... noticed the strong current going against the long straight.
Swim
  • 37m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

A flood gate had been opened up due to the heavy rains earlier in the week which made the current what it was. Swim was 200m downstream, about 100m across, 1100 upstream, then another 100 across. I tried to find people to draft off of in the upstream section, but kept losing them. I had trouble spotting the swim exit because of the sun in the river and shade on the shore and ended up having to swim a bit back upstream. Overall, I kept it cool, but fighting against the current really took it out of me for the rest of the race I think.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Threw off the cap and goggles and fumbled a bit with the watch, glasses and helmet, but then took off. This was the first race that I tried having the shoes on the bike. I definitely like it better, but haven't graduated to the flying mount yet.
What would you do differently?:

Don't fumble so much.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked the two loop aspect of the course, although I could do without the 3 turn arounds. I was passed by a lot of fast people! The course was set up to be fast and it was with some long gradual grades. A few head winds and cross winds thrown in there.

I feel I could have pushed the bike pace a bit more, but it was still an okay day on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Flying dismount and helmet off easily. Struggled with the socks and shoes a bit. Decided to carry a water bottle with me for the run, so threw that in the jersey pocket. As I was running out putting on the visor and belt, the water bottle fell out and I went back to get it.

Practice the transition more with the water bottle. I feel that still helped though as I can never drink enough at the aid stations without walking.
Run
  • 50m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this race with one of my goals to run through the run. I started out at a slower pace to be able to make it through. I was on track with my goal until I hit the second hill. I was burnt at this point and walked part of it. Same thing happened on the third hill. By mile 5, I was tired and I stopped to walk a few times to recover. I was getting passed left and right and I don't think I had the mental edge to push myself through it since I was there to have fun with no performance expectations.

Train more on hills and get the body accustomed to recovering quickly while still running. Need to train a LOT more on the run as it's my weakest event evidently.
Post race
Event comments:

This was a great race. Due to the current, this was definitely a year that strong swimmers had an advantage. I didn't set any real major goals for this race as I didn't know what I was getting into. I did have a lot of fun though and it was a difficult challenge. With the swim current and the hills on the run, this is definitely a challenging course. If I qualify again next year and it works into my schedule, I'm sure I'll be back to seek revenge. Got lots of running to do in the mean time.

Last updated: 2009-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 37/76
Overall: 418/924
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:31 | 24.85 miles | 22.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/76
Overall: 420/924
Wind:
Course: Two loop with 3 turn arounds. Garmin has it at 24 miles.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:50:37 | 06.21 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 66/76
Overall: 689/924
Performance: Below average
Course: Combined run on roads and bike path. Garmin had it at 5.8 miles. I was not upset. Course goes away from the river 3 times with a good climb on each.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-23 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: USAT National Championships

2009-08-23 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2364995

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: USAT National Championships
Nicely done, Kevin ... especially with keeping your head about you on the swim. 

The run was a mixed bag for most (including me!) given the toll the tough swim took early on - and then add in the hills during the first 5k to really toast up the legs. 

The swag made up for the swim; great backpack ... and beer glasses!

See you there next year
2009-08-23 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Wow - you had a great swim.  And bike & run too if you ask me.  I guess with it being Nationals, it should be a hard course, but the swim was really unexpected.  Great job!
2009-08-24 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Said it before, but great race!  Still being able to have a solid ride and run after that swim says A LOT.  BTW, you aren't allowed to come to Masters anymore.  You're getting too fast on the swim.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT National Championships Rss Feed