General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Clear Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clear Lake, Texas
United States
Out Loud
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 11s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

I actually got a good nights sleep.I think benadryl may become a pre-race staple. 4:15 breakfast of oatmeal, strawberries, wheat germ. A 16oz coffee for the 50 minute drive to Clear Lake.
Event warmup:

Lucky to have the bike rack fairly close to swim/run exit/entrance. Set up, talked with my neighbors. Appears rack was set up by age group. We joked they were trying to help old geezers. Vandals had taken the swim entrance ramp/carpet out of water; was found and place back with only a 5 minute delay.Got in a warm-up swim, usually don't, but it helped to relax me.
Swim
  • 40m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Goal was to finish swim feelin good and no cramps.I stayed slow and steady. 40+ were in 2nd wave (after elites). One minute between waves. Breathing on left side doesn't help navigation with buoys on right plus I drift to left. I sighted every 10, then every 8 and still drifted left, sometimes had to breast stroke a little to get squared away. The biggest tactic for me to not think about distance was counting strokes to keep focused on form. Being slow I was over taken by a rainbow of wave caps...didn't matter. I finished with a big smile despite cuts on fingers, knee, toe from shallow start, hit rocks/shell several times.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working to improve efficiency, sighting, bilateral breathing and R side breathing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

T1 no issues. I think I was only bike on rack after swim. Plenty of room, no congestion.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 31m 52s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Ride was going well, I set Garmin for cadence and HR, did not care about speed. Goal HR 145-150. Had to back off for first couple miles to get HR down. Around mile 16 I saw something shiny on road missed it with front wheel but not back. BOOM! no question what happened, must have been a piece of metal. Gash was large so I used a piece of duct tape for a boot. I had some trouble getting wheel back on, didn't realize Cervelo had rear dropouts. Back on road and kept goal HR till finish.

Definitely should have practiced rear wheel changes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No results for T2, saw same thing in some other age group brackets.Well the bike rack was full coming in, so full there was no space to rack so I had to move 2 bikes. Getting Garmin off bike mount and onto wrist strap was good. Grabbed cup of water on way out. 2-3 minutes is my guess.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 06m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Unknown what would happen so I started slow and steady first mile stopping only at each mile aid station for water/gatorade. Legs/hip felt pretty good but stomach was not handling gatorade or water by mile 2. Stomach was feelin full and rumblin. My HR was averaging 152, higher than I wanted but so was heat/humidity and a bright sun. Maybe higher HR kept me from processing fluids. I drank less and less rest of run. No issues with hip and was very pleased with this run despite GI problems.

Not sure about bloating issue. Bike nutrition, 48 oz, 300K felt fine.S-cap every hour for electrolytes.
Post race
Warm down:

Post race watermelon was the BEST with a big slice of pepperoni pizza. I felt pretty good after walking around about 5 minutes. Stomach settled down and I was able to drink a coke and bottled water without issues.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Keep on keepin on to improve swimming. I would have had a decent bike if not for flat. Very pleased with run considering heat/humidity.

Event comments:

I would definitely do it again.Thankful for all the blessings bestowed upon me to be physically able to race again. My last event was in April. Heard one swimmer saw a 4 foot alligator during his warmup just a 100 meters out. That might improve your swim time.

Last updated: 2009-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:44 | 1640 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top/shorts
Course: Course went on an angle out/left with orange buoys on right, then a rectangle back to finish. Two yellow buoys according to race director noted turns.Without glasses couldn't see yellow buoys from bank, probably didn't help nerves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:31:52 | 24.85 miles | 16.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/13
Performance: Bad
HR Avg 148
Wind: Some
Course: One loop course with two bridges otherwise pancake flat. One light with no police, everyone stopped until change, otherwise good course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:06:42 | 06.21 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/13
Performance: Average
Course: Ran along NASA 1 then through neighborhoods. Nice scenic park with view of bay around mile 3. Nice course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-23 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Subject: Clear Lake International Triathlon

2009-08-23 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2365335

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Clear Lake International Triathlon
Great job out there!  Way to overcome the flat and move on! 
2009-08-24 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Too bad about the flat Wayne!  You hammered the bike otherwise!  How fast do you think the swim would have been if you knew about the gator before the swim?

All around great job!

2009-08-24 8:39 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Good job out there!  Ironstar is a great local HIM race and not much longer then this race ~ get in some solid training and go for it!  You will have a blast!  Good luck!
2009-08-24 10:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Nice job in the Olympic distance! Way to go.
2009-08-24 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
Wayne,
Great race, sorry about the flat tire but thats a good bike split considering you had to change a flat. 

2009-08-26 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2366063

User image

Veteran
Houston
Signed up, here we go.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed