Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri Peachtree City
Total Time = 1h 36m 26s
Overall Rank = 705/952
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 22/33
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at the Hampton Inn which is less than a mile from the race start. Woke up at 4:30 and made my normal oatmeal with flavored whey protein in it. We were out of the hotel no later than 5:15 and on site before 5:30am. I also had a small box of Smart Start before the race while walking to packet pick up. This worked for me.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Again I wish I would have gotten into the water before this event but instead is just piddled around and walked/talked with friends. Oh and of course, obsessed about my transition set up
Swim
  • 11m 19s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam this course very well. This was a much needed improvement from my first tri.

I really liked the swim start. Starting 2 people every 5 seconds was really neat. It is always a fairly laid back start. I imagined that they would line us up in order but instead you corralled by your number but could move up or back as needed. The only negative for this swim was after I rounded the last buoy, I let the current carry me out just a tad. I was still sighting well and swimming on course, my course was just a bit off from my fellow competitors.

I will say the only down part to this swim was the dirty dirty lake. Granted this has nothing to do with the race organizers or the actual race itself. I came out of the water looking like I played in the mud. I have since soaked my tri top twice and have come up with a sink full of brown water with dirt at the bottom. But it sure beats the grass I have heard of from previous years. It didn't affect my swim, but it sure made for a yucky mess until after the race when I could change!
What would you do differently?:

Sighting was awesome for this race. I just need to focus on staying with the main pack and pushing myself in the water. I could have pushed a bit harder and been alright race wise.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

My rack was about as far away from the swim exit as possible but luckily that meant I was super close to the bike exit. I had a good run to my transition area and the racks weren't crowded. I need to pull out my belongings a tad bit farther so that I am not having to reach too far in between bikes to get my stuff.

This was my first experience with a grassy transition area which I wasnt expecting. Overall the ground stayed pretty dry. I expected a mud pit by the time T2 rolled around.

I need to work on unracking my bike. It is a bit heavy for my liking and with being short and having short arms, it can be tough to unrack.
Bike
  • 45m 24s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the first time I have ever kept a bike average in the 17mph range. My highest previous came in a training ride at 16.18mph. I couldn't have asked for a better ride. I can definitely tell that my group ride course helped prep me for this ride.

The course is hilly but more rolling than anything else. The rollers were great because it gave the right amount of push and recovery without having to tackle anything serious. There were a few serious hills for me in which I lost a bit of ground with several competitors. Course support was great with lots of volunteers and Bike EMTs.

Continue work on hills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

My bike computer fell off my bike right as I was getting off and running into transition. I had to ask a volunteer to hand it to me. Over all it probably only cost me like 2-5 seconds. Nothing big.

Again racking my bike is a chore because or my height so I am going to work on that.The run exit was a bit far away.

Work on racking and unracking.
Run
  • 36m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I really liked this run course. It was fairly shaded and hilly. The hills were nothing terrible but definitely not what I expected.

Overall the run for me was decent. I wish I could have run a bit more of the course but mentally I lost the edge. Toward the end of the run my stomach started growling in a "you didn't eat enough pre race" fashion. I took in just a tiny bit too much water on the run and had to slow a bit for that. It probably didn't hurt me tremendously but it still slowed me a bit.

Need to work on adding a few brick workouts to my training load before the next tri.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the water table and then to the pizza table... does that count?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. This was a great race for me. The best performance on the bike I could have asked for and honestly a great swim too. I need to continue to work on my run and late race nutrition. I am hoping the experience of this one will help me on my last sprint of the season.

Event comments:

I really liked this race and would return if some of my fellow triathletes from the middle Georgia area want to travel next year. Tons of volunteers around and I loved the swim start.

Last updated: 2009-06-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:19 | 528 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/33
Overall: 0/952
Performance: Good
Suit: Two Piece Tri
Course: Point to point with 2 buoy turns
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:24 | 13.2 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/33
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back with a small loop at the turn around
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:38 | 03.11 miles | 11m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/33
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back course on golf cart paths and paved running paths. A fair share of hills
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-23 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

2009-08-24 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2365438

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

Congrats on a great race...nice when you set a goal and exceed it. Nice job on the bike.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City Sprint Rss Feed