General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Synvisc One Knee Injections Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-24 4:54 AM

Central, Florida
Subject: Synvisc One Knee Injections
Anyone have any experience with Synvisc One knee injections. After my second scope the doctor has recommended this for the osteoarthritis that has developed in my knee. Curious if anyone has tried it and what the success they may have had. Thanks

Edited by rlc5925 2009-08-24 4:57 AM

2009-08-24 5:02 PM
in reply to: #2365845

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Synvisc One Knee Injections

rlc5925 - 2009-08-24 5:54 AM Anyone have any experience with Synvisc One knee injections. After my second scope the doctor has recommended this for the osteoarthritis that has developed in my knee. Curious if anyone has tried it and what the success they may have had. Thanks

The visico-supplementation injections (which is what synvisc is) seem to be working well and help about 75-80% of people who try it.  We arent' sure exactly how it works but I have seen no reports of it doing any harm and is worth trying

2009-08-25 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2367701

User image

Pro
MA
Socks - 2009-08-24 6:02 PM

rlc5925 - 2009-08-24 5:54 AM Anyone have any experience with Synvisc One knee injections. After my second scope the doctor has recommended this for the osteoarthritis that has developed in my knee. Curious if anyone has tried it and what the success they may have had. Thanks

The visico-supplementation injections (which is what synvisc is) seem to be working well and help about 75-80% of people who try it.  We arent' sure exactly how it works but I have seen no reports of it doing any harm and is worth trying

Apparently Synvisc is a synthetic substance that is very similar to the joint fluid that is naturally existing in your body.  By injecting Synvisc, you are replacing the lost/damanged fuild in your knee.
I believe it doesn't last forever.  One course of treatment only last half a year or something. 
2009-08-26 10:23 AM

Extreme Veteran

Sports orthopedic told me it's no more effective then water injections. Might just be a placebo effect.

2009-08-27 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
i had them. no improvement at all. walking became painful, and my knee was a mess. in february i had partial knee replacement, and five months later did my first tri.
2009-08-27 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2374995

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
You're able to run on a PKR?

2009-08-28 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
yes and with a lot less pain, and i have the scar to prove it. i did lots of pt starting the day after surgery for three months. my range of motion is normal. some days my knee feels better during my runs than just walking.
2009-08-28 6:52 PM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I too have osteoarthritis in one knee. I just received my third injection this week. It is a series of three shots. My knee feels better when I run, not 100% but I'd say about 70% or so. It feels more lubricated. My doctor said I need to let him know how it feels and how long it lasts as it can be different for many people.
2009-08-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: #2376972

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
which side did you have done? And your doc okayed the running? Or at least knows you're doing it? How old are you?
2009-08-30 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2378979

Central, Florida
mmrocker13 - 2009-08-30 3:44 PM

which side did you have done? And your doc okayed the running? Or at least knows you're doing it? How old are you?

medial(inside) miscus tear which looked nasty from the scope pictures. Doc said depends on me and how successful the injection is. Doc is team doc for USF footbal team and I have grat deal of confidence in him. He did my right knee sevveral years ago with great success.my age is 55 ex professional baseball player and triathete. I've been sidelined for about a year and a half and I need to get something going. swim and bike is no problem running is the problem. Thanks to everyone who has rersponded. This has been a royal pain in the a&*
2009-08-31 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2378979

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Me?
It's my left knee, Doc knows I run, mostly 5k or less, I'm 51 and overweight. Hopefully getting this weight off will take most of the pressure off my knee. It's like I'm living a conundrum with the weight and knee issues.

mmrocker13 - 2009-08-30 3:44 PM

2009-09-01 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2376972

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
wplummer - 2009-08-28 2:38 PM yes and with a lot less pain, and i have the scar to prove it. i did lots of pt starting the day after surgery for three months. my range of motion is normal. some days my knee feels better during my runs than just walking.

I should clarify: My question

"which side did you have done? And your doc okayed the running? Or at least knows you're doing it? How old are you?"

Was for wplummer... (but thanks for all teh replies from everyone else :-))

I have never met a doc, no matter how...er, "open minded" who said it was okay to return to running after a PKR, so I was asking for more details. (FWIW, a PKR or DFO is probably my next step, but they won't do one on me as I am too young. Well, that, and I don't want to let go of running just yet...)
2009-09-02 3:50 PM

Veteran

I'm 44 y/o, 5 feet tall and 170 but I just lost 70 pounds in about 20 months.

I had the injections in both knees in March, after only the second injection I felt confident I could run and after 20 years I ran for 2 miles.  By the 3rd injection I was up to 3 miles, that's only 3 weeks later.

Since May I have completed 3 sprint tri's and 2 5k's. I have 3 sprints remaining and then look forward to the many 5k's in the fall. I also receive cortisone shots every 3-4 months.  I will be due for syn visc again in about 3 months. 
However, the doc said that for every pound lost is 4 pounds of pressure off of the knees.  my goal weight is 150 which is 25 pounds which totals 100 pounds of pressure of the knees. I’m going all the way because I want to be pain free or as close to it as possible.

I highly recommend Syn Visc for anyone who suffers from severe osteoarthritis.

2015-07-06 9:43 PM
in reply to: rlc5925

I know this is an old post but I had to share my experience. 5 Years ago I was diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patella Grade 4 also known as runners knee. I am not a runner but I have had such amazing success with treatment I just had to share. I spent a lot of time on forums before deciding on my course of treatment and wanted to share the love.

I was very active, lots of rock climbing, cycling, hiking, diving and after a hike up a very steep mountain my knee would not bend. After almost two years of very little progress with several physio's I finally got an MRI. Now at this stage I couldn't walk more than 20 minutes without my knee collapsing. I was getting heavier and was frankly miserable due to constant pain and inability to exercise which was supplemented by some pretty strong pain medication.

I flew to Australia to visit a top surgeon who recommended an arthroscopy with a 70% success rate and no chance of hiking or cycling again. I was 32.

My new Physio was a friend and we researched my condition together and decided to try Synvisc. It took 3 months to settle but afterwards I was able to walk again! I started hiking with poles and now 3 years on, I am doing moderate hikes, cycling and snowboarding with minimal pain.

In addition to Synvisc, I practice Hatha Vinyasa yoga - my Physio and I agree that the stretching and strength building that Yoga brings has helped release my quad which was causing some of the issues. I can't say that it is all because of Synvisc but it got me moving. It allowed me to stretch and strengthen the right muscles and I am now after 5 years, pain free.

I had two surgeons recommend an athroscopy and two Physio's tell me their patients are usually worse off after the surgery. There are also risks of infections, ligament damage and other nasty's surgeon's don't like to mention. For me it was a last resort.

So here is the best news. I just had an MRI and my knee has actually shown IMPROVEMENT! I couldn't be happier.
2020-07-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: ScubaKate

Hi Kate, my name is Rose, based in Sydney Australia.
I'm 32, and sharing a similar experience with you.
I had a diagnosis of grade 4 chrondomalacia patella when I was 29 in fact, only after 1 year of doing short distance running
I stopped running, and things settled, but 1.5 years ago, i picked up badminton, and the runner's knee definitely turned for the worse
for the past 4 months, life has been a standstill, simple activities like stairs, walks >30min are painful

I've had a steroid injection and a synvisc injection
But ultimately, i'm headed for surgery this Fri.
I'm curious how your knees are now?

I love hiking and rock climbing, and how I wish how I could return to them!
2020-07-14 4:33 AM
in reply to: Socks

User image

yes

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Synvisc One Knee Injections Rss Feed