Piranha Sports
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 01m 8s
Overall Rank = 44/91
Age Group = m40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. Oatmeal and coffee, and into the car.
Event warmup:

None. Had no time. It took longer than expected to get my stuff into transition, and the line outside the two -- just 2 -- bathroom stalls was out the door. I was still in line when the race announcer started giving the last minute instructions.
Swim
  • 33m 46s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim. Didn't push my way to the front, didn't act like a spaz taking off in the first 200 yards, didn't do much of anything other than just wade in and start swimming.

Sighting was good, but there were a few times when I treaded water to hunt for the buoys. Relaxed swim, no pressure, and it ended up being fairly quick.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I loved this swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Transition was good. I did not put my wetsuit into my bag before I jumped on the bike, and regretted not doing so. Nothing bad happened, and at the end of the day, I still had all my stuff. I also ended up with an extra pair of goggles (Aqua Spheres!) and another cap. Not sure how someone else's gear ended up under mine, as I was the first in my area to get on my bike. But from now on, I will always take the extra few seconds to bag my gear.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 1s
  • 54 miles
  • 16.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I suck suck suck on the bike. Totally suck. Suck cheese, suck fumes, whatever.

I passed just 2 people, both of whom were carrying their bikes along the course because of mechanical issues. And if I read the results correctly, I was passed by 42 people.

I don't know. Attach a motor to my bike? Hire someone to tow me?

It is painfully obvious that I have no biking skills.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

This one was nice. No complaints.
Run
  • 2h 09m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I died at mile 10. I wanted to push it hard but I just didn't have the juice to do it. I did run it, and I finished strong, but not at the pace I wanted.

Like Providence, this two-loop course had a major hill in miles 2-3. I ran it the first time, walked it the second, with the hope that the eneergy I conserved would help me later.

I'm not sure if it worked, but I will say this -- this hill was worse than Providence's College Hill, and I was not as beat-up on this run as I was then. And it's not like I trained for this race. So my opinion is that walking the hill was the wiser option.

Ride the course before the race. I just didn't have a sense of it on the first loop, and that little bit of familiarity might have helped me finish about 2 minutes faster -- allowing me to break 6 hours, my all-time goal.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. This was a last-minute race that I had contemplated but did not commit to until earlier in the week.

Event comments:

This was a first-time event. Nice shirt, bare bones race. But a tougher course than Providence 70.3 and much closer to home. No huge crowds on the course, or at the finish line, and an almost lackadaisical approach to the event. No signs or lighting to guide drivers to the race site in the pre-dawn hours.

On the other hand, no high entry fees, no minimum stays in hotels, and I was able to register 3 days before the race. No required Saturday bike check-in, so I didn't have to be out there 2 days in a row.

I'd do this one again.

Last updated: 2009-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:46 | 2112 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 15/91
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:15:01 | 54 miles | 16.61 mile/hr
Overall: 57/91
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Overall: 47/91
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 6:02 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: CannonMan Triathlon

2009-08-24 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2365876

New user

Subject: RE: CannonMan Triathlon

It looks like you had a good swim.  What felt like halfway through my swim I thought I heard cheering.  That must have been for you getting out of the water!

It was my first HIM and I thought it was a nicely organized event.  Much better than the Pittsburgh Tri.  I have a feeling that 700 people racing versus less than 200 make a race much different (this was my third tri).  How do they do races with 1500 racers?

Congratulations.

2009-08-26 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2365876

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: CannonMan Triathlon
Thanks for the kind words. And you're right, the absence of a crowd did have its benefits. Of course, there was a while out there on the bike where I was all by myself, and I started wondering if I had missed a turn.

Keep up the good work -- a 1/2 as your 3 tri? And Greensburg was your first? That's quite an accomplishment for a first year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CannonMan Triathlon Rss Feed