General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 23s
Overall Rank = 159/193
Age Group = Female 15-19
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:00, and was supposed to leave the house at 6:15. That didn't happen becuase my dad was dawdling around too much. We didn't actually get on the road until 6:45, which made me kind of nervous. Everything was okay though because we arrived at the race at about 7:25. The event started at 8:00.
Event warmup:

I picked up my race packet and everything else I would need for the race. Then I splashed around in the lake to get used to the water. The water was a little chilly at first, but I quickly got used to it.
Swim
  • 28m 6s
  • 1091 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a really nice swim in a really nice lake. Last year, I made the mistake accidently of swimming the coure twice. I was pretty proud of myself for getting out of the water after the first lap!
What would you do differently?:

I can't really think of much I would do differently. This swim went pretty well. I guess I could work on my stroke technique more during practice so that I can swim faster in races.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

This was a pretty good transition. I actually ran to the transiton area instead of poking around like I normally do.

Figure out how to jump on my bike? I have no idea.
Bike
  • 55m 1s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 13.52 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a really nice course. I remember a lot of the course from last year when I did the same race. I kept getting passed so much on the bike though! I really need to train more. I did make a lot of improvement over last year. Last year, a bike course in a sprint triathlon would have taken me an hour and a half (with my old mountain bike).

Do more bike training for the next race. I would also shift my gears better. I spent the entire ride in one gear. Half the time, the hills felt really hard. The other half (flats and downhills) it felt like I wasn't in a hard enough gear. I will definitely do more bike training this winter. I hate getting passed so much!
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This transition was pretty good. The only thing I would do differently is figure out how to rack my bike better. I got confused and laid it on the ground. After deciding that wouldn't work, I racked it.

Just rack my bike instead of laying it on the ground and then picking it up!
Run
  • 31m 55s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really nice trail that I remebered ftom last year. The course definitely was not as hot as last year though! Last year, it was about 90 degrees on the run. This year, it was only about 67 degrees. I was pretty proud of myself on the run becuse although my calves really started cramping, I was able to push past the pain and even sprint to the finish line (passing 2 people!).

I would definitely get better running shoes. My shoes are so old! I would also train more with longer runs/bricks so that my legs are in better shape. I know I could have ran faster if it was not for those stupid cramps!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, picked up my 3rd place plaque, scarfed down a plate of food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The amount of biking and running training I have been doing this summer (I need to do more!). Also, the cramps in my legs. I could have ran a lot faster if it was not for those cramps. I also need to do gear changes better. I should not ride the whole race in one gear!

Event comments:

This was a great race!!! I am so happy I took almost 30 minutes off my best time in a sprint. I also was not DFL this time! :)

Last updated: 2009-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:06 | 1091 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 141/193
Performance: Good
Suit: Regular one piece swimsuit
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:19
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:01 | 12.4 miles | 13.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 166/193
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:55 | 03.1 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 164/193
Course: On a nice, shaded trail
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Subject: The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Buckeye Challenge - Sprint Distance Rss Feed