EndorFun
80sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 12m 34s
Overall Rank = 1668/2500?
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 82/100
Pre-race routine:

I was pretty laid back going into this whole thing. I slept GREAT the night before!!!! Went to bed around 11 and woke up at 4!! Yay! first time that ever happened. Felt possibly a little undertrained and had a minor ankle injury brewing but meh..nothing I could do at this point!

I got up and had my mandatory chai tea thing, a bagel and a banana. We packed up our stuff and took off for the course..was happy I found a back route to 106 so I didn't have to deal with 3/11..it is also kind of nice that the bikes have to be in transition the night before. Once less thing to deal with in the morning.
Event warmup:

There was maybe a 20-30 minute delay in race start due to a car accident out on the bike course. I swam a few yards then hunted down Erica and G and hung with them for a bit.
Swim
  • 40m 5s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I probably took off from the front of the pack and maybe a little too fast but I honestly think that its better to be swum over than have to swim over other people. That said..it was your typical washing machine out there. Felt there were a few people that seriously had no business doing a half. One girl literally zigzaged in front of me about 4 times in the first two hundred yards..Im not talking about cut me off little zigzag she was swimming perpendicular to the course on two occasions..Ummm siting much????...was ready to smack her upside the head. Then there was the girl who was doing breast stroke already at 200yds..I don't know, even if I had great bike and run skills I wouldn't waste my time doing a half if I had to breast stroke a 1.2. Anyway aside from those issues in the first 200yds I pulled away and was having a great swim. Shook most of the riff raff and was on target to pull in around 37-38 minutes..that went to pot about 200yds out from the finish line.. Some dude from the previous wave yanked my ankle mid kick and I got a calf cramp..ended up floating on my back with my knee to my chest for a little bit until it loosened up...but it made me very fearful of what that would do to biking and running as I have huge calf issues. I Still made it out of the water in 40 which isn't that bad.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know swim test everyone in my wave and put the sucky non swimmers in the back, oh and also kick the guy that grabbed my ankle in the junk!..I did turn around and yell at him..I mean seriously dude wtf?
Transition 1
  • 03m 57s
Comments:

I love wetsuit strippers..my time wasn't great mostly because I had to walk/run around people in the transition area and my bike was as far away as possible from the swim entrance.

Not much I could have run faster to my bike maybe.. but the grass was wet and muddy and it was an obstacle course to get to my bike.
Bike
  • 3h 41m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't push the bike just enjoyed the ride. Was a little worried about the calf being a problem and wanted to save myself for the run. Saw Cat pass me at mile 6 then Aquagirl shortly after. Repassed Aquagirl when she dropped her chain but she blew by me again shortly after.I really can't wait to try out the new shoes and pedals..my middle left toe/foot goes numb and hurts in the current shoes. There is a possibility that I drank too much as I had some problems later in the run. I can say its a little disheartening being in the 3rd wave and have like the whole race pass by you on the bike, but I was doing my race so not that big a deal to me.

Not really much with the possibility of drinking less..
Transition 2
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

I threw a tea party and changed my socks, combed my hair put on some makeup... knew there was no way I was going to catch the 6:30 I had hoped for so just decided to enjoy myself.

nothing..wasn't concerned with the time
Run
  • 2h 43m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

There was a ton of support along the route..not just the aide stations but the neighborhoods that is goes through really know how to throw a party..lots of hoses to run through lots of cheering. High 5s to the aid station with the pile of snow. It was the bomb. It was a very hot and humid day by the time I got off the bike. I grabbed two snowballs everytime I passed them(4)and stuffed them down my shirt..I don't think I sweated much out there at all!

Anyway that said...Ugh I fell apart..I started out as I planned SLOW was probably running btwn 10:30/11min pace. My left middle toe was killing me but that and everything else started to loosen up around mile 2 and I started to pick up the pace a tiny bit. When I got out to almost the turn around there were to girls handing out orange slices. I was all over that..but then realized after I downed them that that might not have been a wise choice cause I usually dig orange slices AFTER I race not during..anyway oops to late damage was done. I headed back on my first loop and was still haning in there in the mid 9s if I had to guess when my shoe lace came undone right at the bottom of the only magor hill on the course..decided meh I'll walk up it most everyone else was...the rest of the way back in was down hill and I picked it up a bit in from there then headed out for my 2nd loop...and thats where the run went to hell in a handbasket. As soon as I got out a started on a 2n pack of sports beans and just realized that meh I didn't feel so hot. Not in pain just felt like everything I had eaten and drank up to that point was still sitting in my stomach. I burped a bunch of times and then finally did a selfcontained minor heave..if ya know what I mean and started to feel much much better. The mile 7-10 were probably my best miles of the whole run. Was definately doing 8s passed a bunch of peeps..blew through a few aide stations..PASSED on the Orange slices this time!! then at almost mile 10 I came to slight rise and that was the end of my run. My ankle/achilles cramped up. I walked up that short hill and tried to run again and could tell that if I kept at it I would be sorry later so I made the decision to walk the last 2.5ish in. The time didn't really matter at that point anyway because I had known going into the run that the only way I'd catch my goal was if I ran a 2hour 13.1..and that wasn't going to happen in a HIM fer sure.

get new body parts and change the weather so it wasn't so hot and humid!! I made the right decision making cause both of those are out of my control!!:)
Post race
Warm down:

Talked to Erica and G a bit..said goodbye to G..went in the lake for a quick swim..Found Aquagirl in the transition where she handed us off the crack. Bumped into my friend PJ and her fiancee...then hung out in parking lot hell...We finally decided to get in the loooooooooooooong shuttle line and bumped into Tritoy and Rcberto...Big thanks to Rcberto for coming back to the park and taking Erica and I to our car so we didn't have to stand in the loooooooooong shuttle line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need new body parts..some of Chrissie Wellingtion's might be nice!

Event comments:

The only reason the race wasn't on time was because of the accident on the bike course; it wasn't their fault..Highly recommend this race to anyone..only thing is get there early and park your car in the Ellacoya park lot...not at Gunstock so you don't get stuck in the shuttle madness.

I can also say the ride back to Ct was the SUCK...Many thanks to Erica for driving through all the rain and traffic while I endlessly chatted about mindless race drivel...I never pulled into my driveway until 10pm.

Last updated: 2008-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:05 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/100
Overall: 1244/2500?
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: triangle out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:41:35 | 56 miles | 15.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 84/100
Overall: 1737/2500?
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: hilly to start especially at mile 10 its a doozy..nice in the middle..hilly at the end but not that bad as the beginning. Good support at the aide stations!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:55
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:43:02 | 13.1 miles | 12m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/100
Overall: 1668/2500?
Performance: Bad
Course: This was a nice double loop out and back course. Tons of support!! The neighborhoods that it runs through really ROCK!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-24 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2366240

Champion
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron

Nice effort on what turned out to be a pretty hot day, at least on the run.  Didn't know who you were or I would have said "hi."  Might have stripped off your wetsuit, but who knows.  I was the bald headed guy with all the tattoos, throwing everyone's pee all over himself. 

2009-08-24 10:55 AM

Uxbridge
Yeah Beth! Way to tough it out in less than ideal conditions!!!!! I dont get why people grab feet on the swim...WTF!!!Great race!!!! Congrats!
2009-08-24 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Great job!!!  nutin' you can do about the weather, Congrats on a great finish!!!

I hate Traffic!!!

2009-08-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2366527

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

Great job on a tough day, but remind me to never swim with you .

2009-08-24 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Nice race!  We're you as hot as I was by the time the run started?  I know a couple people expecting to post some much lower times on that run that made me feel a little bit better about my time.

I was looking for you on the bike but didn't see you...I saw Aquagirl on the run and Aaron went down hard on the bike.  I should have taken pics on my phone..the thing is in pieces.  Luckily he is fine.  A couple of those hills were pretty nasty...

That drive home sucked!  So tired at work right now...Need to get my report up when I get a chance too...Congrats again!!!

It was cool of Chrissy to hang out and hand out the finisher medals.  I was pretty surprised as I stumbled across the line to see her there!

2009-08-24 11:45 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Way to go Beth!  Nice job going with what the day threw at you.  I was sweating buckets just standing around in the sun, I don't know how you raced in it!  You have my respect.
2009-08-24 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Sounds like a pretty good race for ya, even if the bike felt like you were just getting-passed.  

Getting stuck in traffic/shuttle lines sucks, too, but the only way to get into Ellacoya is to arrive before 5am, and even then...well, it's a long wait.  Just a big race in a small park.

I have to agree with you though:  heat and humidity do a real number on run nutrition.  I wonder how much you ate and drank on the ride?  I'm thinking I had less than 500 cals, probably not enough e-lytes, and maybe too much water on mine.  You have to be so careful, and I wasn't.  I knew not to take an orange, but I got suckered into the pretzel + flat coke + twizzler combo thinking "good sugars" and instead got "hell, no -- I want more water with that salt!"  I had to walk/jog/crawl to porta johns for the remaining 8-9 miles after that.  Miserable!

Better luck on the nutrition for both of us, next time!

Congrats on the strong finish -- maybe see you there next year.  :-)

Cheers, -Sunny 

2009-08-24 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

WOOHOO awesome job congrats on your first HIM   Injuries do suck.....do Patriot next year   Hoep you are feeling good today!!

2009-08-24 1:38 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Nice work making the best of what the day gave you Beth.  Sounds like you had fun, hung with some great peeps and learned a lot- not to mention finished another 70.3-woo hoo!!
2009-08-24 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Weymouth, MA
Great job young lady!  Very smart to shut down the run and avoid an injury.  Especially with RTB right around the corner.  My pleasure on the lift to gunstock.  I heard that there was almost a brawl in that line.  If you were there then some guy would certainly have gotten a black eye!    

2009-08-24 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Great job Beth.  I give you guys a lot of credit running out there in that weather.  I was melting just sitting there.    Sorry I didn't snap any pics of you.  Next time.

2009-08-25 7:54 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

Way to tough out a sucky day Beth....I still shudder at the memory of that "run"...........
Did you finish your crack?? Was it good stuff?? 

Edited by aquagirl 2009-08-25 7:54 AM
2009-08-25 8:04 AM

User image

Elite

Good race. Orange slices are my favorite thing out there on course normally. The drive back did suck, heading up Friday was worse on my part.

2009-08-25 12:43 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
nice job! congrats!
2009-08-25 6:52 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Beth I would have seriously done damage to someone who grabbed me on the swim!!! and it truly was a melee!
I must have already been hurting when I passed you on the bike because I did not see! I did see Helen fly by me going up marsh hill but don't think I repassed her.....

way to tough it out - clearly we all need to work on nutrition in the heat! 

Rob liked driving my car and since I am not sure I would have been safe to do it I am glad he could!!

Here's to next year!!!

2009-08-27 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
NYC
Amazing job Beth! You rock. Way to tough it out in the swim too. I was thinking of everyone when I woke up to steamy heat on Sunday but you guys powered through pretty well it seems. Congrats on a great race!
2009-08-28 1:49 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats!

HIM are long and difficult races add in hot weather and humidity and it is harder.

Wise decisions you made throughout the race.

I've been stuck behind zig zag swimmers who continually cut in front of me.

2009-08-30 9:35 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Way to hang in there after your race plans got thrown!!  Too bad you didn't accidentally kick the guy in the goggles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed