Piranha Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 14s
Overall Rank = 41/84
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00am, ate a PB&J bagle and a banana. Loaded bike up and headed to race site. Since it was only 15 minutes from my mom's house it logistics were no problems. No one was driving in the way I came up so it was a bit eerie but there were plenty of cars when I got to the parking lot.It was still dark and I was glad I had grabbed a flashlight. I have added it to my transition bag so I'll have it when I need it. Got to my rack position
Event warmup:

The half iron wave went first so I waited to warm up after watching them take off. Sun was rising over the lake and lots of mist coming up off the water. It was beautiful.
Hydrated and stretched legs, jogged up to bath house to make a last head call and my right calf was still stiff and painful. Met a couple of guys from my age group and chatted. One had won our age group at the Pittsburg Sprint. Nice guys. Stretched and warmed up arms at 15 minutes til wave start.
Swim
  • 10m 54s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was wetsuit legal but felt nice and warm since the air temp was colder. Started in the middle of the wave and did not encounter to many hits. There were 84 in the wave. Got tangled up with a female competitor at the turn buoy. Passed her immediately after turn.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

T1 went well. No problems.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Bike
  • 39m 32s
  • 10.56 miles
  • 16.03 mile/hr
Comments:

The course is nice. The two hills are not steep but very long. This really killed my average speed. I tried to make it up on the downhills but the main downhill section had a lots of turns. I almost lost it on one turn where the road was damp. My rear wheel locked up and slide out to the left. I made it around the turn and made sure I slowed earlier for the others. Missed the entry to the transition area because I went a little to far past the dismount line. You had to immediately turn off the path at the dismount to get into transition area. Later they added cones to keep athetes from over shooting like I did. Because my right calf was still sore I did not get out of the saddle at all.

Need to get more technical riding experience on the bike so I don't kill myself. Need to check out dismount area before race.
Need to my calf to heal.
Transition 2
  • 00m 12s
Comments:

I think the T2 times were wrong. I saw alot of really short times like mine and I don't think they were correct.

Nothing.
Run
  • 28m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Worse 5K I have ever run. Calf felt sore after first hill so I stopped and stretched it out. Ran slowly and walked up a few hills so I wouldn't strain it too much. Felt a little better on the way back so I could go a little faster. I am very thankful that the injury didn't get worse. If I had to walk or hobble it would have been worse.

I just need to time to heal.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and drank water and gatorade. They had ham and turkey subs, baked potato chips and gummy fruit candy. Every finisher got a mini medal which was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills and injury.

Event comments:

I did this race even though I was not 100% because it was in the area where I went to highschool and my wife grew up. We had a great time seing family. The race venue is beautiful and it was great to race on roads that are so familiar to me. There was a playground for the kids right in the middle of things and a nice bathhouse.
It was the first race that my whole family attended, even my mom, so that was special. I also ended up on the podium since the first guy in my AG won 3rd overall and that bumped me up to 3rd place.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:54 | 500 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 49/84
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Out and back in Lake Shawnee.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:39:32 | 10.56 miles | 16.03 mile/hr
Overall: 45/84
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 10.5 miles (17K) - Rolling course with two moderate climbs near mile 2 and mile 8. One fast downhill from mile 3 to 4 before covered bridge. Open course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:45 | 03.11 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Overall: 46/84
Performance: Bad
Course: Out & back on Lake Shore Trail around scenic Shawnee Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes