General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathalon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Clear Lake International Triathalon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Houston, Texas
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 5am ate a bagel with peanut butter, banana, and drank some water. Arrived at the parking lot at about 5:30 and parked right next to Fatty, keri, and trin2bfast.
Event warmup:

Swam an easy 300 m with Fatty. It was my first time swimming in salty water. Watched the Oly waves and just relaxed.
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Entrance to the swim was very poor. I was in the back of my wave and the gun went off when I was still trying to climb over rocks that were below the surface in about knee deep water. Tried to swim out but the rocks cut my chest. Once I got swimming it was pretty congested with a lot of contact but I settled into a good pace and was very pleased with my time. Even with the difficult start and the longer distance my pace improved from 2:42 splits to 2:17 minute splits from my first race 2 weeks ago.
What would you do differently?:

Get in the water earlier.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I had a far run to my rack, but over all was just a slow T1. Tried to take my time and not make any mistakes.

Move faster
Bike
  • 52m 38s
  • 18.64 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm slowly learning how to pace myself better, and knowing the route definitely was a benefit.At times I was around several bikes and had to slow down a bit after being passed to drop back, but overall I was very pleased with the bike. I was able to increase from 19.2 mph to 21.24 from last race just by better pacing myself. I also felt like I had extra in the tank when I got off the bike.

Nothing, but wish all intersections were manned by police or at least volunteers. Had to slow down at several to look for traffic.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Had another long run to my rack, but what else to say except T2 was slow.

Move faster
Run
  • 31m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started off rough. My calves were tight, I had a 2 inch slice on my left foot from the swim, and I did a lot of home improvements during the week and legs were fatigued. The run slowly came to me. Once again my splits improved from 10:34 to 10:12 from my previous race so I am seeing progress. The highlight of the run was the fact that it was an out and back so I was able to see Fatty, Keri, Merry, and Craig all on the course.

Nothing,
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza, oranges, and drank lots of water. Enjoyed seeing all the BTers out there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My legs being sore and tight from the 2 days of home improvements leading up to the race, and the 2 inch gash on the bottom of my left foot from the rocks in the swim entrance.

Event comments:

I was disappointed in the swim entrance. The entrance was so difficult with the rocks that the entire group wasn't ready when the gun went off. I currently have cuts on my hands, arm, both knees, thighs, and feet. Also not all intersections were manned.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 820 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:38 | 18.64 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Mostly smooth shoulders with two bridges.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:29 | 03.11 miles | 10m 07s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Clear Lake International Triathalon

2009-08-24 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2366947

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Clear Lake International Triathalon
Certainly a few problems with a few things. I hope everything gets ironed out next year, because I like having a olympic right here.

Good job out there!
2009-08-24 2:49 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great effort Justin!  You are improving and will only get better as you continue with triathlon!  Keep up the great work, have fun with it and stay positive!  You will beat fatty in no time!!! lol!
2009-08-24 3:37 PM

New user

This was my first triathlon ever (sprint), and I just have to say WOW! I guess I need to change my USER name now.

I was completely surprised by my results. I went into the race believing 2 hours, 15 mins. from start to finish, or at least just finishing, but the total time posted was 1 hour 45 mins. I was ecstatic! I guess I was more ready than I thought. I'm so hooked now that I'm already thinking about next year making the Clear Lake International my "A"game.

I noticed some commenting on the swim entrance, and yes I do believe it could have been better. Just to let you know, I went by the park to check everything out Friday evening and there were volunteers in the water trying to make the entrance and exit as safe and slash proof as possible. They were there all day from what I was told. Oyster shell, Ike debris, and park visitors who could care less about what they throw in the water was what had to be delt with. I have a fairly good slash on my foot as well, but I have to give it up for the guys digging up the debris for us.

I was planning on writing a few articles about my experience, and about some pretty funny things that happened to me during the race. Stay tuned!

2009-08-24 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great job!  Man it was fun out there.  I had no idea where you were until I saw you on the run... that really kept me going especially on the bike. I'm glad I got this one because it will probably be the last!  My feet are cut up pretty good to.
2009-08-24 4:37 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Awesome job Justin!  It was great seeing you on the bike and the run!  Very impressive second tri!

2009-08-24 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2367638

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
I look like I lost a cat fight, as I am scuffed up from the tops of my feet to my fingertips, and a number of places in between...not to forget the nice scrape on my ribs from an unmarked rock groin about 200m into the first swim leg--dang thing was in about 18" of water, have no idea how someone hasn't lost a lower unit from their motor on it, or why the city hasn't marked it as a hazard.

Definitely needs to be better organized next year, as the run course crossing over the bike course also was an unsafe feature.

But getting my first Oly under my belt was a good feeling (2:51 and change), now I know what I need to focus on before the Redman HIM in a month.

Edited by wildcat83 2009-08-24 6:42 PM
2009-08-25 7:47 AM

User image

Expert

Good stuff.  For your 2nd Tri nice results and great improvements.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clear Lake International Triathalon Rss Feed